Irish Air Corps Hurricane Mk1.

stevej60

1 hour ago, noelh said:

I have this particular Hurricane on my to do list. In fact both as P5178 sitting forlornly on it's belly in a field and as 93 serving in the Air Corps. 

I imagine the reason for the silver underside is that very belly landing. Probably repainted after the damage was repaired. You can see a lot of wear on one wing.

Incidentally I believe the pilot flying 93 in the photos posted by Tony was actually RAF. Flt Lt Don West who'd been sent over to train the Air Corps pilots on the Hurricane. 

Interesting note on the pilot Noel so they must have had the strange situation of an RAF pilot training the Irish airmen while a few miles away RAF internee's

kicking their heel's in internment,I understand one Canadian simply walked out and returned to the North only to be sent back.

38 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Interesting note on the pilot Noel so they must have had the strange situation of an RAF pilot training the Irish airmen while a few miles away RAF internee's

kicking their heel's in internment,I understand one Canadian simply walked out and returned to the North only to be sent back.

Actually he was American, famously his Spitfire was recovered a few years ago. It was featured in a BBC documentary with Dan Snow. 

Yes it must have been odd for West. But he could easily have met some of them for a drink as they were allowed out on parole. They couldn't escape on parole but could by other means and many did no doubt helped by sympathetic locals. The original pilot of the Hurricane did escape but was later killed in action.

Also I think by the time West was there all pretence of neutrality had been dropped and only crew who were actually deemed to be on operational duties were interned and that was broadly interpreted.

Very strange times. 

• Like 1

Morning folk's,glossed a day or so ago so today the main decal's applied.

28490855597_41db9c0e00_b.jpg

The undersides really look great with the Irish tricolour marking's and those huge number's,the decal's by the way were first class to apply.

43359730931_b70952c7a4_b.jpg

The one thing I was missing was the correct prop so I have a couple of old Airfix build's that to be honest were not my best

so I pinched one for this one.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

Morning folk's,she's up onher feet,had a wash into the panels and a dry brush of silver over the wing leading edge's just a few stencil's to add

then time for a matt coat.

41697240710_049036e5f6_b.jpg

• Like 9

Hi folk's last one before the gallery,just blasted a coat of matt on then those lamp and navigation glazing and the canopy to glue in place.

29680942848_1af9a86a80_b.jpg

• Like 6

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Irish Air Corps ever since visiting them in the 80’s. That is looking the business. 👍🏻👍🏻

My only observation is that in some of the photos 93 is shown with the initial unarmorured windscreen which is only something I’d noticed recently despite having stared at the photo for years!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Very nice model, glad to see this completed, well done !

Thank's Giorgio,and goodluck with the rest of the GB I'll be watching and may be back before the end  for a sneaky little 1/72 entry.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...