Irish Air Corps Hurricane Mk1.

stevej60

Thank's to fellow member Mick who sent me the decal's,I can .join this GB with a Hurricane of the IAC which is a scheme I've wanted to do for many a year.

The Irish ordered twelve Hurricanes in 1940 but due to an arms embargo eleven were eventually delivered in 1943/44.This Hurricane serial P5178 was built by

Canadian Car and Foundry and delivered to 79 Sqn in September 1940 and after intercepting Heinkell He111's over the Irish Sea ran out of fuel and crashed

in Co.Wexford repaired she eventually  was given the serial 93  and joined No 1 fighter Sqn in 1943 untii being scrapped in 1945.This is my first Hasegawa

Hurricane despite what I believe are a few inaccuracies look's good to me,here's the box and decal's

42731144812_d2150425d6_b.jpg

• Like 13

On 13/06/2018 at 21:35, stevej60 said:

.This is my first Hasegawa Hurricane despite what I believe are a few inaccuracies look's good to me

A few inaccuracies?  I think the correct term is "trivialities".  :)    Enjoy the build - it's an excellent kit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Is it 1/72, Steve?

Chris

I/48 Chris I picked up a couple cheap at a recent show I'm building the MkII in the RAF 100 GB.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to do an Irish Hurricane for more years than I care to remember (since SAM did their Irish Air Corps special with accompanied decal sheet), it must be the early 80's?

Intrigued to see how this one turns out, good luck!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

As an Irish Air Corps fan, delighted to see this one being built!

Cheers,

Dermot

Thank's Dermo,I love the Irish marking's and we don't see many of these aircraft here in them.

• Like 1

Morning folk's here's where I am with this one,wing's assembled with the MK1 armament and fuselage done noissues againwith the seperate

front section.

41208428450_f70525ef71_b.jpg

And cockpit given a busy look with brush painting the IP and tape belt's.

43018622861_29e43a73ed_b.jpg

• Like 7

Morning folk's,mostly assembled and wheelwell's painted silver as per the MkI so next stop the paint shop for a base coat of primer,remember

this aircraft unlike the other IAC Hurricanes kept it's original RAF scheme throughout it;s use.

42367156164_e71f5e474f_b.jpg

• Like 4

Hiya Steve,...... double check the underside colour mate,........I think that the undersides were silver,... or a light blue grey,.... but not Sky. Don`t trust the Italeri painting plan,...... they are always getting things wrong!,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hiya Steve,

Here are some pics of the real IAC 93;

Hawker-Hurricane-MkI-Irish-AF-P3416-Ireland-01

152c8cc69aec66495fe19a27ef4cab71--hawker-hurricane-ww-planes7541943914_c7d334b17c

imageproxy

Plus these old decal instructions from a respected source, plus the old Scale Aircraft Modelling drawings show the camo to wrap around the underside of the rear fuselage on another IAC Hurr,.... although whether this applied to `93' I don`t know;

iac_03 (1)

Hope these help mate,.... as I said I would go with silver or light blue grey for the undersides,.....but it is up to you,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Great photo's Tony,I had assumed the aircraft kept it's original colours(it was the only one to retain Earth/Green in the fleet) built model's are rare and show

some  in Sky some with a red spinner and some Black,I think I'll go with silver as on your first photo the intake below the engine does seem to have a sheen

to it similar to the wear on the upper fuselage,the wrapped camo makes sense as 93 was with the IAC long before the rest so you would assume they were

painted to that pattern although the upper colour's reflected the RAF's change to Gray/Green.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great photo's Tony,I had assumed the aircraft kept it's original colours(it was the only one to retain Earth/Green in the fleet) built model's are rare and show

some  in Sky some with a red spinner and some Black,I think I'll go with silver as on your first photo the intake below the engine does seem to have a sheen

to it similar to the wear on the upper fuselage,the wrapped camo makes sense as 93 was with the IAC long before the rest so you would assume they were

painted to that pattern although the upper colour's reflected the RAF's change to Gray/Green.

Hiya Steve,.... from my research into IAC aircraft a number of years ago during a modelling theme,...... I was under the impression that the Mk.I`s were all finished in the IAC standard Dark Earth/Dark Green camo,...... and that the post war Mk.IIc`s wore overall Medium Sea Grey with Dk. Green camo,.... as per the RAF night fighter scheme,... with some Mk.I`s being re painted in this scheme too. 

Have a look at this line up,.... the Mk.I in the foreground (110) wears de/dg but the others have been re painted in the later scheme, the artist has got the scheme wrong in my opinion;

26d2e7f2969a9fbc63c541a478878a86

6f4a0e2b7dcd72bf246eabc11e054178

The fabric on 110 `may' have been repainted in MSG/DG during re covering,.....leaving the metal areas still in DE/DG,.... an interim scheme? 

The 3rd aircraft along `could' be 93 (or 103?),.... if it is 93 then it has been repainted in the MSG/DG scheme and fitted with a Rotol prop. 

Cheers bud,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

The 3rd aircraft along `could' be 93 (or 103?),.... if it is 93 then it has been repainted in the MSG/DG scheme and fitted with a Rotol prop

Hard to say Tony the photo states 1946 but 93 was struck of charge in December 1945 as was 105.

• Like 1

Hi folk's,Hurricane earth base coat applied and undersides re-painted,I've gone for silver which was humbrol out of a tin and brush painted in two thinned coat's,

just got the first coat of green on tonight also.

28392929707_0d08d19a44_b.jpg

• Like 4

You know the more I look at Tony's photo's the more I see three colour's on the upper surfaces and the camo isn't following the lines of the RAF

original.

Anyway not wishing to start WW3 over colour's Let'sgo with the probable,re-painted by the IAC in similar colour's to the original RAF scheme

is what is known,who am I to argue with history,I've tinkered with the shade's just to be a bit different.

28413615887_ae9ffbb652_b.jpg

• Like 4

I have this particular Hurricane on my to do list. In fact both as P5178 sitting forlornly on it's belly in a field and as 93 serving in the Air Corps. 

I imagine the reason for the silver underside is that very belly landing. Probably repainted after the damage was repaired. You can see a lot of wear on one wing.

Incidentally I believe the pilot flying 93 in the photos posted by Tony was actually RAF. Flt Lt Don West who'd been sent over to train the Air Corps pilots on the Hurricane. 

Edited by noelh