A-10 Thunderbolt II

Nice choice Roger. Always like the A-10. Never had the opportunity to work on it in my 22 years with the USAF. 17 years with the F-111. I'm a little in favor for the Lizard scheme but have a place in my heart for the new two tone gray. I've seen them flying around here in New Mexico from Davis-Monthan AFB Tucson Arizona. So I'll grab a seat and watch this build. I have a vast library of images of most the models. Also want to say the 81st TFW at RAF Bentwaters had their A-10A's before I left RAF Lakenheath in 1980. So long ago.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Nice choice Roger. Always like the A-10. Never had the opportunity to work on it in my 22 years with the USAF. 17 years with the F-111. I'm a little in favor for the Lizard scheme but have a place in my heart for the new two tone gray. I've seen them flying around here in New Mexico from Davis-Monthan AFB Tucson Arizona. So I'll grab a seat and watch this build. I have a vast library of images of most the models. Also want to say the 81st TFW at RAF Bentwaters had their A-10A's before I left RAF Lakenheath in 1980. So long ago.

Ron VanDerwarker

Great to have you along for the ride Ron. From what I gather there's nothing too taxing with this kit so my four weeks at home should be sufficient to get it done.

Roger. 

• Like 1

Not very familiar with the Hobby Boss A-10 but have built the long ago ESCI, first run Revell and the Monogram kit. May have an interest in that kit if this build goes well with you.

• Like 2

love a Hawg! Will we see this at the next Darlington club meet? Just a couple of points you may need to look at. I haven't seen in the  box but I would say by the box art it is an A-10A or O/A-10A as these versions wore the European 1 colour scheme. The sheet looks like they may be later marks culminating in the C. Their cockpits are different and they have different aerials, have a look on line if you haven't any books. A-10A's and O/A-10's did wear the grey scheme but I don't believe later versions wore European 1. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh, Andy

• Like 2

Love an A-10.  Got up close with the Bentwaters preserved example a week or so back

LxpFTSq_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

TTGT82G_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

i built the Monogram A-10 (think it was) a while back.  Be interesting to see how the Hobby Boss version compares

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tyxxx said:

love a Hawg! Will we see this at the next Darlington club meet? Just a couple of points you may need to look at. I haven't seen in the  box but I would say by the box art it is an A-10A or O/A-10A as these versions wore the European 1 colour scheme. The sheet looks like they may be later marks culminating in the C. Their cockpits are different and they have different aerials, have a look on line if you haven't any books. A-10A's and O/A-10's did wear the grey scheme but I don't believe later versions wore European 1. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh, Andy

Cheers Andy, yep, I'll bring it along when I'm at the next meeting.

I think Hobby Boss slipped up with with this as it has the aerials etc that were later additions but they've given an earlier paint scheme and decals.

• Like 1

What I have noticed with Hobby Boss is they add a great amount of extra stuff that are not part of the unit they advertise on there box covers. I have quite a few F-111 kits from them. However, They do not have the correct pivot pylons for the FB-111A. When I was assigned to the 509th Bomb Wing we had 4 different styles of pivot and fixed pylons. I had to make my own pylons. Academy did the same thing with their FB-111. Hence not sure what model the Pennsylvania Air National Guard flew. I'm thinking the C but could be an OA-10. Just a thought.

• Like 2

As far as I am aware the Hobby Boss kit is an upgraded A-10A. When I get home tomorrow I'll be able to have a closer look at the kit and the decal sheets. I'm pretty sure the OA-10 is an A-10 but given that designation due to its specific mission and weapon configuration.

• Like 1

As with Ken's website, he has some great pictures of your subject. I took these the fall of 2011 at Cannon AFB NM open house. I learned a long time ago that I will do a subject with the information and pictures of that time frame. I could not fine the stenciling of the aircraft ID. To me it's an A-10A with the current upgrades of the period.  Hope this helps on your build

Ron VanDerwarker

100_1014

100_1013 

100_1020

• Like 3

Nice choice with the Hog Roger. The difference between an A-10A and an OA-10A also includes some antenna refits if memory is correct ? Its designated OA for Observation/Attack. If it were my kit id do it in Euro 1 but thats me. To much grey in todays military aircraft not enough Green or Tan ?  I understand the grey helps with not being seen. However with todays radars and infared does it really matter ? So in the end I say its your kit build it how you want to and think it should be. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Roger I sure your set on the latest 2 tone gray. So I'll throw a few more at you. The 81st TFW did have their A-10A's before I left RAF Lakenheath. The following are from the 23rd, 81st, 57th and CT ANG.

Ron VanDerwarker

IMG_0061IMG_0036IMG_0031A-10A-79-0165-1

• Like 5

I have some good Hog references which I am more than happy for you to view if you want to call round. The modern Hog guide has two pages of text detailing the differences, up until 2007 when it was published.

Here is a quick summary

A-10A Stick and rudder version with limited avionics

O/A-10A Semi official designation. aircraft received no modifications and could change between an A-10A and O/A-10A from one day to another.

Following Desert Storm the Air Force reluctantly decided it had a place for the Hog and instigated the LASTE (Low Altitude Safety and Targeting Enhancement) programme. New weapons computers,Ground Collision Warning System, Low Altitude Auto pilot and attitude stabilising system used during gun firing. Changes were made in the cockpit. Externally identified by radar altimeters fitted to the underside of each horizontal stabilizers and the bottom edge of both vertical stabilizers. Formation strips fitted at the same time but not as part of the LASTE mods.

Beginning of 94 A models were modified to use NVG's. Externally covert lighting was added to the wingtips, top of the fuselage and extreme aft end of the fuselage.

1999-2003 GPS/INS installed. Fitted to cockpit and upper rear fuselage behind the cockpit.

2002 Life Extension programme instigated known as Hog Up. Re furbished wings and new fuel bladders fitted and extensive inspections extended the life from 8000 to 16000 hours.

The last upgrade detailed in the book is the Precision Engagement programme and results in a designation change to A-10C. Extensive modifications to the cockpit, new stick top from the F-16 and new throttle enabling HOTAS operations. New smart weapons including JDAM, WCMD and the ability to carry the Sniper pod. Data Link enabled positional information to be shared between the Hog and ground forces and Link 16 compatability between airborne elements.

ANG and AFRES units funded the A-10A+ upgrades that added 75% of the C's capabilities at a fraction of the cost. They cannot use GPS weapons but utilise the Lightning pod. Only difference between an A and A+ is a radio aerial added to the fuselage under the engines. Cockpit mods were limited to a new MFCD and F-16 stick top but no new throttle.

Phew, I hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

I'm on leave as from yesterday so very close to making a start on this.

Thank you very much for that info Andy, it's very useful and confirms the info included with the Two Bobs decal sheet .

So, what's in the Hobby Boss kit? From the info I now have it's an A-10 with the LASTE/EGI  upgrade but without the upgrade that included the SATCOM antenna. 

The upshot is I can build one of the Pennsylvania  grey aircraft from the decal sheet.

However, I'm not convinced anyone with this kit can build an accurate model using the suggested paint scheme and included decals as they may well predate the upgrades.

Thanks again Andy and thanks for the offer to come and have a look at your refs. It's looking like I already have a bit of a hectic schedule worked out for me so I'll let you know. 

No problem Bud. The info in the book stops at 2007 so any later mods aren't included. I am in most evenings if you need to check any details.

• Like 1

This is an interesting development. 

I thought the 30mm was a bit elaborate for something that will be enclosed and unseen. 

IMG_6100IMG_6102

However the kit contains two part 25's.

IMG_6101

IMG_6103

Which would indicate the gun can be displayed seperately if you wish. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

This is an interesting development. 

I thought the 30mm was a bit elaborate for something that will be enclosed and unseen. 

IMG_6100IMG_6102

However the kit contains two part 25's.

IMG_6101

IMG_6103

Which would indicate the gun can be displayed seperately if you wish. 

Along with a Beetle... 

• Like 1

Id just put the barrels and muzzlebreak parts on. That gives you extra room for weight. Having built the Monogram 1/48 one last year i can tell you these are tail sitters. I wound up using 4oz in mine. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id just put the barrels and muzzlebreak parts on. That gives you extra room for weight. Having built the Monogram 1/48 one last year i can tell you these are tail sitters. I wound up using 4oz in mine. 

That sounds like a very good plan. 👍