Hawker Hurricane 1:72 Airfix

Hi Hairtrigger. Great to see your build of the Airfix Hurricane. It is a nice kit - I have a second version that I started at the same time which I must finish at some point. What have you got in mind for your next project?

Kind regards,

Stix

1 minute ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Hairtrigger. Great to see your build of the Airfix Hurricane. It is a nice kit - I have a second version that I started at the same time which I must finish at some point. What have you got in mind for your next project?

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

Next build errr looking at P47D Thunderbolt 1:72 Hasegawa, IL2 Stormovik 1:72 Zveda or Focke Wulf 190 A4 1:72 Zveda can't make my mind up at the moment.

I don’t know if you have seen but, if you are in no rush, you could enter with your P47D in the STGB down in the group build section which starts on the 30th June.

I find group builds a great way to get help and support with builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

Excellent build and the finish looks just 'right' to my eyes!

The silvering of the decals may be because you applied them on a matt paint surface? Usually, silvering can be avoided by applying the decals on a gloss paint surface and then spraying a clear matt coat to get the final finish as you want it.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Agreed. I'd say that the dusty, slightly faded look of the paintwork is more realistic in this scale than some of the more artistic approaches you see. I'd be interested in hearing how you achieved it.

For the decals, one of my techniques is to put them down over a couple of brush coats of Pledge Floor Care and then finish with a spray with W&N matt or satin varnish.

And recently I've started using Mr Hobby paints which are so fine that a gloss coat isn't required - just a bit of polishing with a piece of cloth.

Ian

Thanks folks for the comments.  Afraid decals are a bit of a downfall for me, it wasn't until I uploaded the outdoor pics I realised the silvering jumped out, indoors they didn't look too bad.

I have had a personal message with Stix and he suggested to in future cut the decals very closely, this actually reminded me of a technique my old dad used and I had forgotten this technique.

I have had go at making tiny holes in the decals on the side of the fuselage and applying Humbrol Decalfix to hopefully improve the problem see below:

20180614_185145

A very nice Hurricane. Future or very thin gloss vernish can help to cure the silvering.

Guess every modeller building aircrafts have or had problems with this.

On my build i am now ready to connect wings and fuselage together. Dry fitting showed a little gap, yours look fine.

10 hours ago, IanC said:

Agreed. I'd say that the dusty, slightly faded look of the paintwork is more realistic in this scale than some of the more artistic approaches you see. I'd be interested in hearing how you achieved it.

For the decals, one of my techniques is to put them down over a couple of brush coats of Pledge Floor Care and then finish with a spray with W&N matt or satin varnish.

And recently I've started using Mr Hobby paints which are so fine that a gloss coat isn't required - just a bit of polishing with a piece of cloth.

Ian

Thanks Ian must try that nice one..

For the weathering I use ground down artists pastels made by Ocaldo they are a particularly good quality pastel mixed with a tiny amount of water and washing up liquid.

3 minutes ago, BerndM said:

A very nice Hurricane. Future or very thin gloss vernish can help to cure the silvering.

Guess every modeller building aircrafts have or had problems with this.

On my build i am now ready to connect wings and fuselage together. Dry fitting showed a little gap, yours look fine.

Thanks Bern,  Yes, I encountered the same rectified with Milput.  The wings you will find need a little sanding as well easy fix though and look fine with little effort.

The internals of the cockpit are pretty good considering the price and I was pleased with my efforts, but with the pilot in situ was a waste of time really as not visible.

Look forward to viewing your Hurricane... ATB...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Decal silvering, this is one way

Humbrol 30 is not a good match for RAF Dark Green despite it being in every blinkin' starter set....

L1592 still exists, in the Science Museum, see here

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/

HTH

Thanks Troy,  appreciate the information great links.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...