Airfix 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf109E-4/N TROP

Hi all!

After really enjoying the Hawker Sydney group build and seeing everyone's builds come together, I thought I'd get involved here too.

IMG_1738-XL.jpg

I've had this Airfix kit hanging around for a while. Looks a basic but good little kit. Not half as nice a the Eduard 109s, but then again, looks a lot simpler and should be a nice quick build.

This is the exact aircraft I shall try to reproduce.

IMG_1740-XL.jpg

The main reason I bought this kit is the beautiful scheme! I shall see how I get on with it...

Here are the sprue shots:

IMG_1739-L.jpg

First up is work on getting rid of pesky ejector pins... circled in red

IMG_1741-L.jpg

Which has been done here:

IMG_1744-L.jpg

IMG_1745-L.jpg

And then I got the cockpit tub together. Detail is ok in here, but nothing too special. She's going to be a quick-ish OOB build so I'll leave it as it is and have the canopy closed.

IMG_1742-L.jpg

I also got a few other items together:

IMG_1743-L.jpg

IMG_1747-L.jpg

IMG_1746-L.jpg

IMG_1748-600x519.jpg

So, time for a quick dry fit.

IMG_1749-XL.jpg

IMG_1750-L.jpg

IMG_1751-L.jpg

So will need a little filler at the rear wing root, but other than that it looks excellent. Liking this kit!

Next stage was to undercoat all the RLM 02 areas in black.

IMG_1759-L.jpg

And then paint them RLM 02, shading where required.

IMG_1761-L.jpg

Excellent... But I've now discovered it should be RLM 66 in the cockpit areas of the Bf109E-4! 😂

Bit if a problem... I don't actually have any. What I will do is use Tamiya German Grey. I think that will close enough with the cockpit down. We'll see.

Ok, more soon!

Cheers,

Val

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Good to see I'm not the only serial kit starter!

Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to attempting it!

Oh yes, I have loads on the go at anyone time! It's not efficient, but they all will get finished..... probably!

• Like 1

Cheers guys!

So, I've changed the colour of the cockpit to (an approximation) of RLM 66 and painted the details.

IMG_1773-L.jpg

IMG_1775-L.jpg

IMG_1776-L.jpg

IMG_1777-L.jpg

IMG_1778-L.jpg

The colour was Tamiya German Grey, lightened in places with the details picked out with Vallejo Model Colour. I've since glossed up ready for a wash, will then matt coat and then add some chips. Then we're about ready to get her together.

Cheers,

Val

• Like 4

Hi all!

So I gave the cockpit a good gloss coat and weathered with AK Paneliner for sand and desert camo as this is a nice medium-dark brown. I cleaned it off with a cotton bud and then gave the pit a coat of Xtracrylix matt varnish. This is the result.

IMG_1875-L.jpg

IMG_1876-XL.jpg

IMG_1877-L.jpg

I dropped some Alclad Aqua Gloss into the dials on the IP to give them a glassy look.

IMG_1878-L.jpg

That's a about it, more soon!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

So, she's together. No dramas here really, generally fell together.

IMG_1928-L.jpg

IMG_1929-L.jpg

IMG_1930-L.jpg

No real dramas. Just a bit of Mr Surfacer on the front joint and around the gun panels on the leading edge. They were an ok fit but just wanted to calm the panel lines down. Only genuine gap was at the rear of the wing where it joined to the underside of the fuselage.

I painted up the inside of the air intakes and area on the wings where they attach. Again, a good fit but a touch of filler was needed.

IMG_1957-L.jpg

IMG_1959-L.jpg

I've got the glassing on, again a good fit but not perfect. The middle canopy is purely for masking purposes!

IMG_1961-L.jpg

Here's the middle canopy which will be used. I'm going leave the canopy open now I've decided.

IMG_1962-L.jpg

I've also rescribed where required. An easy job on this kit as the panel lines are deep. I also rescribed the panels down the belly and spine. It's weird, I've spend years trying and often failing to get perfect seams on the fuselage join, and on this kit, my first ever 109, I'm putting them back in!

Just need to sand in the air intake filler areas and then she's ready for priming. More soon!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Major update time! Painting is all but finished!

First thing was to black out the glass after all the rescribing was finsihed.

IMG_2004-L.jpg

I then primed her with Stynylrez and then pre shaded her. A couple of tiny areas were made good as you will spot.

IMG_2005-L.jpg

IMG_2006-L.jpg

I then painted the white band before then adding some more pre-shading while I had white in my brush.

IMG_2007-L.jpg

IMG_2009-L.jpg

After repriming the areas which were worked on, I then got the blue down (Vallejo RLM 66).

IMG_2012-L.jpg

IMG_2013-L.jpg

IMG_2014-L.jpg

Next step was the RLM 02 (Tamiya XF-22)

IMG_2015-L.jpg

IMG_2016-L.jpg

This took a while as it was about 20% paint 80% thinners and a low air pressure, I'd guess less than 10psi.

I then did a bit of post shading, although more will be done when the decals are down.

IMG_2017-L.jpg

IMG_2018-L.jpg

And then RLM 71 which I used Tamiya XF-61. The colour is good but not perfect. However, I wanted to use Tamiya over Vallejo as I felt I could control it easier.

IMG_2019-L.jpg

IMG_2020-L.jpg

IMG_2021-L.jpg

And that's where I'm up to. Next step is gloss and then decals!

Many thanks,

Val

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you!

I thought I'd missed the deadline, but it turns out it's Sunday... I might might just do this! So let's keep you all updated. First of all the decals:

IMG_2095-L.jpg

IMG_2094-L.jpg

IMG_2096-L.jpg

As you'd expect with Airfix, they were flawless! Brilliant work, Cartograf!

After a gloss layer, Flory Dark Dirt was applied to give a panel line wash.

IMG_2098-L.jpg

IMG_2099-L.jpg

IMG_2100-L.jpg

IMG_2101-L.jpg

Then a layer of Tamiya Semi-gloss clear was applied, followed by Flory Sand wash. The idea is to sand it off and give a smooth, metally but sandy look.

IMG_2102-L.jpg

IMG_2103-L.jpg

I've started sanding it off but not pictured it yet. When that's done, I need to finish the tail, the landing gear and the small bits and she's done. It's probably 60/40 I won't get this done in time, but there's a chance!! More soon!

Val

• Like 2

Looking really neat Val. 

I seem to have trouble with splatter on initially trying to spray fine mottling, with Vallejo ModelAir and Xtracrylics.  I seem to remember not getting it with MRP paint when doing a Camel build. Maybe solvent based paints are better, re; more controllable, in this regard?

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Looking really neat Val. 

I seem to have trouble with splatter on initially trying to spray fine mottling, with Vallejo ModelAir and Xtracrylics.  I seem to remember not getting it with MRP paint when doing a Camel build. Maybe solvent based paints are better, re; more controllable, in this regard?

:goodjob:

Davey.

Thanks mate!

Yeah I'm with you with Vallejo and Xtracrylics. The problem I find with those paints is that they seem to work fine to begin with, but after a few mins they start spitting and it's a nightmare! I've not tried fine details with MRP yet, although I do like those paints in my limited experience. This is why I chose to do this paintwork (the green bits anyway) with Tamiya as opposed to Vallejo, I find them the most controllable and still cover well even when very thin. I sacrificed a little colour accuracy for control, although the colours look pretty good to my eye anyway. I think the difference is they don't dry as much on the needle. However, the plenty out there do wonders with Vallejo and Xtracrylics, so maybe it's just me!

20 minutes ago, Val said:

Thanks mate!

However, the plenty out there do wonders with Vallejo and Xtracrylics, so maybe it's just me!

No, not just you, I have exactly the same problem. I got a small bottle of Vallejo Flow improver to try, but so far doesn't seem to make much difference, with Xtracrylic anyway.  It's all a learning curve mate!

Davey.

• Like 1