700 scale County class cruiser kit

Hi Everyone,

I've been off the board for a while, but know Aoshima have released a 700 scale kit of HMS Dorsetshire. I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me if Flyhawk are planning to release a County Class too as I like their products having bought some of their cruiser kits and HMS PoW. If not, does, or will, anyone in the UK stock the Aoshima kit?

Sincerely,

Will.

Flyhawk have announced in 1/700 HMS Dorsetshire and HMS London (as rebuilt). Flyhawk kits are a whole world better than Aoshima, as you probably know! Starling Models stock Aoshima kits and they are also (in co-operation with Atlantic Models) releasing a resin HMS London.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I've waited so long for a 700 scale County I'd buy the Aoshima Dorsertshire just to have one, then buy the Flyhawk kit when it comes out (I know more money than sense!). I'm not that keen on HMS London, as I think the "Counties" look better with three funnels rather than two.

Sincerely,

Will.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cruiserguy said:

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I've waited so long for a 700 scale County I'd buy the Aoshima Dorsertshire just to have one, then buy the Flyhawk kit when it comes out (I know more money than sense!). I'm not that keen on HMS London, as I think the "Counties" look better with three funnels rather than two.

Sincerely,

Will.

Does it have to be a plastic kit? I've got a resin HMAS Canberra by Combrig and they do HMAS Australia too, I think both are still available. I think you'll lose interest in the Aoshima kit when you get the Flyhawk one. I'm intending to buy the Aoshima Exeter due to the errors on resin kits of it and the fact Flyhawk aren't planning to make it.

thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

It sounds daft, but I've already built the Combrig HMAS Australia. Its that I just want a 700 scale British County Class in plastic as the first model ship I ever made was Airfix's HMS Suffolk. I know, it doesn't make sense but it's how I feel.

Sincerely,

Will. 

• 9 months later...

Hello Everyone

I have received the Aoshima Dorsetshire. I got the "Bismarck Chase" Special Edition from Hobbysearch Japan. Incidentally arrived almost the same time as a second hand Atlantic HMS Sussex (rare now) so the two are an interesting compare.

First to note the Dorsetshire is (I think someone has pointed out this before) clearly - without need to measure - out of scale; probably close 1/720.  half a centimetre shorter than the Sussex hull. On the plus side this is a sweet little package and the detail is fair; and also comes with some good extras; Finemolds octuple  pom poms, and a set of  quad .5s . Also you get some fun planes ; a Sunderland, a Wellington and several Swordfishes (some folded wing),as well as a Walrus for the catapult, all of  which will be useful for a Carrier project and the Swordfishes to make float versions for a backdated BB/BC to replace Walruses when time appropriate. I'll use one for my Trumpy Valiant.

The little stars though are two u boats; a VIIB and VIIC - with photo etch included! Can be done waterline or full hull so great for a little dio. They are super.

Anyway I have ordered the bespoke Aoshima PE to go with the kit and will build with that OOB.  It is not going to be Flyhawk standard but it will be a good interim option. It is after all the first ever plastic County Class in 1/700 (ish) that I know of.

18 hours ago, Oscardog said:

Hello Everyone

I have received the Aoshima Dorsetshire. I got the "Bismarck Chase" Special Edition from Hobbysearch Japan. Incidentally arrived almost the same time as a second hand Atlantic HMS Sussex (rare now) so the two are an interesting compare.

First to note the Dorsetshire is (I think someone has pointed out this before) clearly - without need to measure - out of scale; probably close 1/720.  half a centimetre shorter than the Sussex hull. On the plus side this is a sweet little package and the detail is fair; and also comes with some good extras; Finemolds octuple  pom poms, and a set of  quad .5s . Also you get some fun planes ; a Sunderland, a Wellington and several Swordfishes (some folded wing),as well as a Walrus for the catapult, all of  which will be useful for a Carrier project and the Swordfishes to make float versions for a backdated BB/BC to replace Walruses when time appropriate. I'll use one for my Trumpy Valiant.

The little stars though are two u boats; a VIIB and VIIC - with photo etch included! Can be done waterline or full hull so great for a little dio. They are super.

Anyway I have ordered the bespoke Aoshima PE to go with the kit and will build with that OOB.  It is not going to be Flyhawk standard but it will be a good interim option. It is after all the first ever plastic County Class in 1/700 (ish) that I know of.

About the underscale Dorsetshire, it was mentioned on the Model Warship forum, which confirmed my choice of waiting for the Flyhawk release. Aoshima have done this before with the USS Wasp but at least that's a unique ship, so the issue isn't as bad. I've only just thought to compare my Aoshima Exeter with my Samek York, to see if they have done the same.

thanks

Mike

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...