Model Displays

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

I know this isn't the correct place for this but what is?

I am looking for a model display cabinet that will take 1/72 models with glass front doors. Is there anyone out there with any recommendations and suggestions for sourcing this in the UK?

thanks.

Martin

I immediately come up with more questions!

How many models do you want to display? How big, small, awkward shapes?

i need a new display cabinet, too. I only have a fairly limited collection of models to show. I failed to find anything suitable from the usual furniture places, so ended up getting a quote from a furniture maker. 

The cost was more than my car was worth. o.O

We didn’t go with in the end. I still don’t have a cabinet. :(

Hi Heather, 

well, it is not grand at all. Mine is entirely 1/72 aircraft and nothing more than a B-26 in size. I’d need to house around three dozen I guess. I’m stumped! :(

thanks.

Martin

29 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

This topic has sprung up on here a number of times and usually the answer has always been IKEA!!!!  

Some of the members on here have even found ingenious ways of adding or moving shelves...…………..I am sure somebody will be along soon to add more detail to what I mention, meanwhile, here is a linky:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/cabinets-sideboards/detolf-glass-door-cabinet-black-brown-art-10119206/

3 minutes ago, goose said:

Ikea used  do a glass unit sure if they still do, have a look hope this helps 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goose said:

Ikea used to do a glass unit not sure if they still do, have a look hope this helps 

Snap goose.....posted the same time, great minds think alike 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neilfergylee said:

Saw one on a space modellers forum where a chap had new glass shelves manufactured with a large central hole so as to display his Saturn V!

As Heather said...……..those sort of things cost a fortune...……...its not just the glass your buying, you have to have all the edges polished to take the cutting edges off them, corners rounded and drilling holes through the centre of glass can be expensive for the glass cutter if he gets one hole wrong...…...nice if you can afford it

I have an old Ikea cabinet, something we bought about twenty years ago. Late last year, I upgraded it from three glass shelves to seven. It cost be about £60 in glass, plus new support pegs. 

42055023954_cc4a36f96d_b.jpg

It currently holds my built collection of 1/72nd models, plus some fancy glassware and odds and ends. A quick prop count came to 24 aircraft models, with room for about two more big planes and about three or four small ones left - if I shift some of the other stuff. The problem is I have another thirty or so kits in the stash… :rofl:

Now, we have a friend who is a keen woodworker, and we asked him if he'd build a new larger cabinet. We haven't agreed on final design details, or costs, but it seems the thing won't be built now as we're considering moving house in the next year. The cabinet concept meant it would effectively be built onto the wall in the place of the Ikea one in the picture, and the CD racks either side of it. That's a lot of timber and glass. 

Now, thinking outside the box a bit, if you're fairly adept at DIY you might be able to make a simple cabinet yourself, with wooden or MDF shelves. You don't have to use glass, for the shelves or the doors. The DIY megastores stock clear styrene and ABS material that could be used instead. It is lighter material and easier to work with regular tools. That could be used for glazed panels. It does, however, scratch and mark easily. It's just a thought.

Edited by Heather Kay

Have a look in OP Shops too - My son in law found a set of five display cases for himself in an OP Shop in Brum recently for 20 pounds - very lucky I think

ADES_DISPLAY_CASES.jpg

CJP

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

If you make models surely you can make your own.

This is mine made from 18mm MDF. Originally sized  to suit some glass shelves I was given. Others I have added. If you buy glass don't have to pay to have it bevelled. You can do it yourself with carborundum.

As you only live a few miles up the road from me you can come and see mine if you like.

John

display%20cabinet_zpsubmvdnyj.jpg

• Like 1

Look around for shops that are closing/remodeling. Sometimes they sell there display cabinets. I know the local firearms distributor near me had 3-4 for sale. He remodelled a couple years ago and they don't match the knew decor. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

The perfect glass cabinet that IKEA used to make was called KRYSS and had a double opening doors and four glass shelves. I have managed to get five of these second-hand from E, Bay and cost me around £30 each.  Unfortunately they rarely come up and if they do, it is always 'collection  only' and too far away!

The current IKEA glass cabinet that I know many modellers use is called DETOLF, which is a vertical floor-standing cabinet with the front glass door openable. If you  add extra shelves,

this might suit you and there are plenty of second-hand ones going quite cheap n E. Bay and probably within collectable distance. Have a look at the listings and see what you think?

Check out your local facebook buy and sell sites, I have picked up 2 of the Ikea cabinets for £20 each, and another similar one i got free as needed a clean. Got another one to pick up for £5 as glass door is broken, but going to use the shelves in one of my other ones.

Rich

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, CJP said:

Have a look in OP Shops too - My son in law found a set of five display cases for himself in an OP Shop in Brum recently for 20 pounds - very lucky I think

ADES_DISPLAY_CASES.jpg

CJP

Pardon my ignorance but what , pray tell , is an OP Shop ?

3 hours ago, rs2man said:

Pardon my ignorance but what , pray tell , is an OP Shop ?

Ok - English translation I'm told is Charity Shop - sorry for any confusion

CJP

I am hoping to start construction on a three part display case later on this year after getting a couple of other projects completed.  Monday through Thursday I work on models in the morning before lunch and then on to other things during the rest of the day.  Fridays are my woodworking days.  I get most of my wood from Home Depot and some from Lowes.  Being retired military I get a 10% discount which helps.  I built a new computer desk and hutch a couple of years ago for about $300, that easily would have been well over $800 or more if I had tried to buy it retail.  It is my own design and fits my requirements.  I have done some preliminary drawings on the display case.  Time will tell when it gets started on and built.

Later,

Dave

Hello all,

Have always wanted one of the Ikea glass display cabinets but have had to compromise as storage was just as important. Initially had some models on open shelves in the top half of full height Billy Bookcases with storage below, with more short bookcases just for storage. On one visit looking at other stuff, i took interest in and took home 4 height extensions with glass doors that were added to 2 of the short bookcases that now provides my display space. Only down side is the door frames are a wee bit chunky but the best are positioned so they can be seen.

Arabest,

Geoff.