Sikorsky SH-3A/D Seaking (AR14405) - 1:144 AFV Club via Pocketbond

Julien

Sikorsky SH-3A/D Seaking (AR14405)

1:144 AFV Club via Pocketbond

sk001.jpg

The Sea King is one of the most enduring aircraft of the post-war period, the Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King flew for the first time in 1959. Although no longer in production, the Sea King continues to serve with air arms around the world, including those of Canada, Germany India, Ireland, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. The SH-3H was a US variant developed specifically for anti-submarine warfare. Originally conceived of as a development of the SH-3D, the SH-3H morphed into a sophisticated ASW platform and was fitted with anti-ship missile detection equipment. It was capable of carrying a pair of torpedoes as well as a range of depth charge weapons. Just as they had done with earlier Sikorsky designs such as the S-55/H-19 Chickasaw (produced in the UK as the Whirlwind) and S-58 Choctaw (Wessex), Britain's Westland Helicopters secure a licence to produce the Sea King not long after the aircraft made its first flight.

The Kit

In what seems to be an extension of their Mini aircraft series is seems AFV club are expanding their 1/144 scale kits (They previously only did P-40 kits in this scale).  Inside the box there is enough plastic and decals to build two Sea Kings.  All parts are well moulded, there is no visible flash, and there are fine engraved panel lines. In the cockpit two rudimentary seats and an instrument panel are added, the centre console being moulded in. The front and aft bulkheads are then attached to the main cabin floor. Windows are added into the main cabin along with the pilot entry door, and then the two fuselage sides are brought together around the cabin floor.  The lower boat shaped hull part is then added, along with the cockpit glazing. On top the engine inlets are added along with a part on the rotor head box. The main side door and its running strip are then added. The two sponsons are then built up and added, with the main gear wheels being built and added into them. The tail wheel is also added. The winch over the mail door is added.  The tail boom is assembled and added at this point. It can either be out, or in the folded position. Once added the tail rotor is fixed on. Next up the min rotor is added. Again like the tail boom the rotors can be in the extended position or folded. 

sk002.jpg

sk003.jpg

sk004.jpg

Markings

There is a fairly comprehensive decal sheet which looks to be printed in house. The colours appear good, and everything seems to be in register. Whats good is that AFV Club have not skimped on such things as the US Navy titles, so from the box you can build any two of the four markings;

HS-4, USS Iwo Jima, April 1970

HC-1, USS Coral Sea, 1972

INS Shikra, Mubai, 1980

HS 50, Royal Canadian Navy, HMCS Bonaventture 1965.

sk005.jpg

sk006.jpg

Conclusion

It is good to see more kits for those modelling in this smaller scale, these are quality kits and come highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gifUK Distributors for logo.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Woweee!  I can see an Indian Navy version being planned in the near future!  I'd better start researching colours and squadrons ready.

Mike

Had to jump in since I received this kit in the mail just yesterday. It's beautiful! Very nice detail, truly outstanding for this scale. Look at the clear parts, the rear-view mirrors are on there! I was happy with refinishing the F-Toys gashapon, but AFV Club has definitely improved over that mold in just about every way. Highly recommended, and I hope they plan on doing a lot more more modern subjects!

Herb

6 hours ago, Herb said:

Had to jump in since I received this kit in the mail just yesterday. It's beautiful! Very nice detail, truly outstanding for this scale. Look at the clear parts, the rear-view mirrors are on there! I was happy with refinishing the F-Toys gashapon, but AFV Club has definitely improved over that mold in just about every way. Highly recommended, and I hope they plan on doing a lot more more modern subjects!

Herb

Not sure about modern subjects but there is an F4U review coming. I can only echo your comments on the quality of the kit.

Julien