P 51D Mustang Marie Capt Fred OHR 2FS / 52Fighter Group

Good morning

My 2nd build for this Gb will be the Airfix 1/72 P 51D Mustang flown by Capt Freddie OHR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Ohr

180613085713167486.jpg

The real aircraft

180613085712135707.jpg

My references

180613085819989453.jpg

The Box art

180613085820288429.jpg

The sprues

180613085821931899.jpg

The decals sheet https://www.scalemates.com/kits/961795-had-72019-p-51-d-mustang-decal-set

I will replace the seat by a Quickboost one and the Instrument panel by a Yahuu models one ..

I will start when the Mitchell and Kittyhawk are finished

Patrice  

• Like 5

Good evening

Today I started to work on the cockpit I painted the ''walls'' in Interior Green , consoles in black with some points of colours 

180617083005646129.jpg

Patrice

• Like 4

Nice work Patrice. I really like this little Airfix Mustang. To me, the overall shape is perfect it really looks the part once all built up. It’s not fault free, however I think it’s the best in this scale so far. Be extra careful when removing the control column and antenna mast. I’ve built two and have broken both. Reading other build posts, I’m not the only one either! 

Cheers.. (and your National team was very lucky in the last World Cup pool game!).. Dave 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice work Patrice. I really like this little Airfix Mustang. To me, the overall shape is perfect it really looks the part once all built up. It’s not fault free, however I think it’s the best in this scale so far. Be extra careful when removing the control column and antenna mast. I’ve built two and have broken both. Reading other build posts, I’m not the only one either! 

Cheers.. (and your National team was very lucky in the last World Cup pool game!).. Dave 

Hi Dave

Thank you for your comment , so far I have already built ten Airfix Mustangs and I managed not to breake the control column but failed to succeed with the antenna mast and I am surprised that not a sigle aftermarket company has made these important parts . Despite the control column and and antenna mast  I agree with you the Airfix Mustang is very nice  , the Tamiya one is not bad ..

The Australian team played very well and I think that they  can qualify for the next round ..

Best regards

Patrice

Good evening

Today I placed the Yahu Instrument Panel and Quickboost seat on the floor and I placed this assembly on the right fuselage

180618075708774077.jpg

180618075706654112.jpg

Once again I managed to break the control column when I removed it from the sprue but I succeeded to repair it ..

Patrice

• Like 2

Ten Airfix Mustangs Patrice?? You have been busy and these two are looking great as well. No one here expects our National Football team to qualify into the next round, however after last Saturday’s game a few may have changed their mind.  

I hope I didn’t jinx you with my breaking the control column comment above. Glad you fixed both of them. 

Cheers and great progress.. Dave 

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ten Airfix Mustangs Patrice?? You have been busy and these two are looking great as well. No one here expects our National Football team to qualify into the next round, however after last Saturday’s game a few may have changed their mind.  

I hope I didn’t jinx you with my breaking the control column comment above. Glad you fixed both of them. 

Cheers and great progress.. Dave 

Good morning Dave

Thank you for your comment ..

I must admit that the P 51 Mustang is one of my favorite aircraft and right now I don't know how much Mustang kits I had build since I started building plastic models ..

Dont' worry you didn't bring me bad luck with the control column it was my fault I did not pay enough attention when I removed them from the sprues .. I do not remember having these problems with the Tamiya Mustang ..

I really hope that your National Football team will qualify for the next round ...

Cheers

Patrice

7 hours ago, Col. said:

The yellow, that most difficult of colours, looks to have gone well for you Patrice.

Good morning Col

Thank you for your comment but I had to paint 2 coats of yellow ..

Patrice

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Col

Thank you for your comment but I had to paint 2 coats of yellow ..

Patrice

Two coats isn't too bad Patrice, some stories see others painting several layers before getting your quality of finish, which paint did you use?

11 hours ago, Col. said:

Two coats isn't too bad Patrice, some stories see others painting several layers before getting your quality of finish, which paint did you use?

Good evening Col

Thank you for your comment ,  I used Humbrol 24 ..

Today I painted the anti glare panel in Olive Drab and the red band around the nose ..

I placed the propeller just for the photo

180702080445152556.jpg

Patrice

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You’ve done a marvellous job of these two Mustangs Patrice. They are very popular subjects, however not often seen these days so it’s good to see them done so nicely in 1/72 scale. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You’ve done a marvellous job of these two Mustangs Patrice. They are very popular subjects, however not often seen these days so it’s good to see them done so nicely in 1/72 scale. 

Cheers.. Dave

Good morning Dave

Thank you very much for your comment ...

I think that the MTO Mustangs are not treated enough by the manufacturers of decals ..

Patrice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I think that the MTO Mustangs are not treated enough by the manufacturers of decals ..

I dont think any 12th or 15th air force get the same respect from decal makers. Id love to get a good # of subjects in decals from those two Air forces. 

38 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I dont think any 12th or 15th air force get the same respect from decal makers. Id love to get a good # of subjects in decals from those two Air forces. 

Hi Corsairfoxfouruncle

I agree with you the units of these 2 Airfirces deserve the interest from decals makers ..

But it seems that these days there are few new products in the decals market ...

Patrice

• Like 1

Good evening

Today I made a light weathering , I placed the aerial mast,  I glued the  flaps and I started to place the undercarriage legs and doors 

180720063029484494.jpg

18072006303252667.jpg

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 2

Good evening

Today I placed the wheels , , doors , tanks , propeller and canopy

I think that I will finish this build there ..

Here are he pics taken under the sun of Normandy

180721074423498340.jpg

180721074427354132.jpg

180721074430344525.jpg

180721074433660518.jpg

180721074420106383.jpg

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 5

On 22/07/2018 at 20:04, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry my sausage fingers goofed on your name.

Hi Corsairfoxfouruncle don't worry it happens to me sometimes ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1