EF-2000 early and late exhaust-what's the difference?

iaf-man

There is no difference on the real aircraft and I've no idea why Aires have "early" and "late" resin exhausts available. 

Be warned though, as is typical is Aires products the fit leaves much to be desired!

On 6/13/2018 at 12:23 PM, Selwyn said:

Are they getting mixed up between open and closed exhaust nozzles?

Selwyn

I don't think so. I've looked at both sets and they appear to be identical. 

The early prototype Eurofigighter were fitted with the RB199 engine from the Tornado.  These early aircraft are those represented in the early Revell/Italeri kits (the ones with 4 cooling ducts under the rear wing/fuselage rather than the two fitted to the EJ200 powered aircraft).

This might be what is meant by early late?

Edited by kingcanberra
Move close bracket to make more sense
  • Confused 1

On 6/15/2018 at 9:20 AM, kingcanberra said:

The early prototype Eurofigighter were fitted with the RB199 engine from the Tornado.  These early aircraft are those represented in the early Revell/Italeri kits (the ones with 4 cooling ducts under the rear wing/fuselage) rather than the two fitted to the EJ200 powered aircraft.

Probably not....

On 6/15/2018 at 8:20 AM, kingcanberra said:

The early prototype Eurofigighter were fitted with the RB199 engine from the Tornado.  These early aircraft are those represented in the early Revell/Italeri kits (the ones with 4 cooling ducts under the rear wing/fuselage) rather than the two fitted to the EJ200 powered aircraft.

No, it's not. Aires have two sets of EJ200 exhausts, one of which is labelled "early" and the other "late". They look identical to me.

There is a difference between the two sets of AIRES nozzles, subtle though they are...

The nozzle actuation rods/mechanism is slightly different as is the inner surface of the outer nozzle petals/feathers, although the differences are so minor as to be hardly noticeable, unless you're one of those rather sad, anal retentive 'rivet counter' types! 😉

-Daz

Edited by Dazza
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I gather that there have been no (external) shape design changes to production (UK) EJ200 engines.  Materials (and hence colour) have changed.

I now see that the Aires exhausts are all 1:32 and labelled EF2000A (not EJ200, remember that EJ200 is not the only engine to have flown in a Eurofighter Typhoon or EF2000).  Most ofmy information is redundant as I know little about the 1:32 kits (I build 1:48).

If I have wasted anyone's time, sorry.

Edited by kingcanberra
Additional information found

On 7/22/2018 at 9:55 PM, kingcanberra said:

I gather that there have been no (external) shape design changes to production (UK) EJ200 engines.  Materials (and hence colour) have changed.

I now see that the Aires exhausts are all 1:32 and labelled EF2000A (not EJ200, remember that EJ200 is not the only engine to have flown in a Eurofighter Typhoon or EF2000).  Most ofmy information is redundant as I know little about the 1:32 kits (I build 1:48).

If I have wasted anyone's time, sorry.

EF2000A is an (ancient) designation for the single-seat aircraft that I believe is only used by Italy nowadays. EJ200 is the only engine to have flown in a production Eurofighter Typhoon. The RB199 was briefly used by the first two Development Aircraft in the mid-1990s while waiting for EJ200 to be ready. 

I still think that the Aires differentiation is erroneous, certainly in scale.

Yup, and the Spanish call it EF-2000 Tifon, it was EFA until the renegotiations in 1992 when it became EuroFighter-2000 (or New EFA), Italian single seaters are/were F-2000A, two  seater TF-2000a. 

The early Revell 48th kit was of an RB199 powered prototype.