Wreckage

25 years ago, I began building a plank-on-frame model of the American clipper Young America.    At that time, I was struggling to make a living at it, and not having much success.   Having just had a fairly disastrous result at the maritime auctions in London with another American clipper, I became disillusioned with it.      I made a shallow box and filled it with sand.   I stuck the hull in it, and put it outside where it has endured the wind, rain, snow and ice and occasional blistering sunshine  for quarter of a century.    This evening, I took this photograph from directly above it.    It closely resembles photographs of real wrecks that have been lying on the sea bed for considerable lengths of time.    It makes a change from usual photographs of models.     I sometimes wonder how much it would have fetched if I had persevered with it, because shortly after that, the models began to rise in popularity.   It is quite large (for me) having a hull length of  fourteen inches.       Bob  

Young_America_wreck_-_Copy_Medium.jpg

• Like 14

That's a very believable looking wreck.

If you hadn't said it was a model, from the photo, I would have been convinced that it was the real thing.

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 1