Jump to content

Sanger 1/48 Avro Vulcan vacform


Recommended Posts

Good evening all,

  As I have failed to find a current topic concerning the long awaited 1/48 Avro Vulcan vac form by Sanger, I’d like to bring it to people’s attention that there is a now a request on Sanger’s website for expressions of interest regarding the kit. Gerald has stated that the plan is to produce a run of around 100 kits as long as enough people put their names down for them. I’m not affiliated with the company but this request seems to have slipped under the radar until now. Anyone wishing to see this kit be finished and produced, please go to the website and follow the instructions Gerald has provided. I waited a small while for a reply but am now on the mailing list for the kit.

 

Cheers,

  WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, WV908 said:

but this request seems to have slipped under the radar until now. Anyone wishing to see this kit be finished and produced, please go to the website and follow the instructions Gerald has provided. I waited a small while for a reply but am now on the mailing list for the kit.

:doh:Well, that's three whole years late now.

I've been in conversation with Mr Elliott since early 2010; I met a lady who offered to submit her set of a detailed cockpit, nav, bombardier and bomb bay compartments which she devised to go with the Aeroclub kit. The set had metal landing gear and vinyl tyres ("vinyl tyres...???", I asked her). Hence, her designer was working on some resin alternatives instead.

I learnt that the lady died of H1N1 in October 2010, and also that the designer disappeared with the set.

Having had no more correspondence from Gerald, I had no choice but to buy the Aeroclub kit from a member on this forum back in 2015.

I ought to have signed no less than two times each year on the Sanger site from 2010 to January 2015 until I gave up. Not that the Aeroclub kit had disappointed me in any way.  

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Uncle Uncool,

   I must apologise for i’m a bit confused by your comment as this is a new request on the new-ish Sanger site and is being run in parallel as a request for interest with the RB-45 and B-66 projects. From what I gather from older posts, this kit has been in the running since 2007/8 but is at the point of nearly being finished and Gerald is now looking for expressions of interest to see if it is worth finishing and putting into production. The events you mention from 2010 are sad and unfortunate and I hope your Aeroclub kit built well. I just couldn’t bring myself to pay the amount asked for that one I saw at Telford a few years ago, thus I eagerly await the Sanger kit, which going by the price of the B-52 will not be overly expensive. 

 

Cheers,

   WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:20 AM, WV908 said:

this kit has been in the running since 2007/8 but is at the point of nearly being finished and Gerald is now looking for expressions of interest to see if it is worth finishing and putting into production.

Hi, WV908

It's not that I weren't interested in the Sanger project; on the contrary. I actually like the Vulcan THAT much I think I'd buy Gerald's kit just to build it along with the Aeroclub one (I will just need to move to a bigger flat in order to display both). It's only that I saw the chance to buy the only available Aeroclub kit before even giving thought to the possibility that the Sanger project were released in the near future (say, 5 more years since the date I bought my vac-form kit). I really wanted a 1/48 Vulcan kit ever since I learnt about the Aeroclub one, of which I learnt in 2010, when it was impossible to get it directly from John Adams.

After having lost three bids for an Aeroclub Vulcan on evilBay, I decided to come to Britmodeller and ask some fellow modeller wanting to part with their kit. Got a reply and we dealt it.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:20 AM, WV908 said:

The events you mention from 2010 are sad and unfortunate and I hope your Aeroclub kit built well. I just couldn’t bring myself to pay the amount asked for that one I saw at Telford a few years ago, thus I eagerly await the Sanger kit, which going by the price of the B-52 will not be overly expensive. 

Yeh, the detailing set by this lady would have sold like hot cakes! As for my Aeroclub kit (for which I paid dearly), is yet to be built because I'm still gathering info from those who have already built it - the issue which worries me the most has to do with making the 18 wheels set on the ground all together, something which has to do with the wings and how the MLG wells are attached to 'em. Then I plan to rib the interior of the mid fuselage and wing structures to give some strenght to the airframe, for which I've bought a lot of Plastruct stuff, along with this great tool here:

 

 

Also, I plan to detail the whole interior (cockpit, nav, bombardier, ECM and bomb bay compartments from what pieces I recall of this dead lady's set.

Will gladly take another look to the new Sanger site and cast my vote.

Cheers mate,

 

Unc2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Uncle Uncool,

   Cheers for clearing that up, I keep threatening to invest in one of those tools or similar. Depending on the price I may end up putting my name down for two Vulcans, but it’s one for now. Depends if SWMBO will let me mount one vertically on the Nursery wall as I don’t have display room for two either haha 

 

EDIT: If it’s a lad I’ve been given the go ahead 😂 

 

Cheers,

  WV908

Edited by WV908
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WV908 said:

I keep threatening to invest in one of those tools or similar.

WV908, mate!

That tool by Hobby Elements is really good; it'll save you a lot of grief when halves don't match. The 10cm-long one is just about right for 1/48th scale.

16 hours ago, WV908 said:

Depending on the price I may end up putting my name down for two Vulcans, but it’s one for now. Depends if SWMBO will let me mount one vertically on the Nursery wall as I don’t have display room for two either haha 

 

EDIT: If it’s a lad I’ve been given the go ahead 😂 

Yeh, I might get to buy one too. Not married as of yet, but if the price for the Sanger kit is round the 600 quid (that's how much I paid for my Aeroclub kit), my sheila is surely tearing me a new you-know-what...

Well, if we ever have a son, he'll certainly be christened Vulcan! :lol:

 

16 hours ago, peterburns said:

If the definition of “hot cakes” is 5 or 6 then yes she had a real gold mine on her hands before unfortunately going TU.  

 

Almost makes me miss the pirate post days

Hi Peter!

This lady had begun working on that set back in 2004, when the Aeroclub Vulcan could still be found on the LHS shelves, methinks. Judging by the Aeroclub kit's sparse interior, the set would have been a must to all of those fortunate owners of a Beast kit.

I learnt about this lady by utter & sheer chance, after watching at her picture on a local modelling fórum (she was so hawt! 😍 Real good-looking). May have a piccy of her stored somewhere. It was a pity that she had gone TU.

 

Pirate days are to come back some day. No-one on ARC would tolerate it either. :rofl2: It was kind of my trademark.

Cheers blokes,

 

Unc2

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Yeh, I might get to buy one too. Not married as of yet, but if the price for the Sanger kit is round the 600 quid (that's how much I paid for my Aeroclub kit), my sheila is surely tearing me a new you-know-what...

Well, if we ever have a son, he'll certainly be christened Vulcan! :lol:

 

Unc2

£600? Wowza! Going on the Sanger B-52 at £125 I’m hoping this will be around the same / just less / just South of £100. If it comes in around £80 then i’ll definitely have two!

 

Cheers,

  WV908

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WV908 said:

£600? Wowza! Going on the Sanger B-52 at £125 I’m hoping this will be around the same / just less / just South of £100. If it comes in around £80 then i’ll definitely have two!

Yeh, that was a tad too much to pay, but it was only my last chance to have a 1/48 Vulcan kit. What about that resin 1/48 Eiriksson kit, anyway? Shape did look off! And I don't even want to think about how much the kit could have weighed once built.

Having trouble finding Mr Elliott's web site now. Do you know the new web site address, please, WV908, mate?

Cheers,

 

Unc2 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Yeh, that was a tad too much to pay, but it was only my last chance to have a 1/48 Vulcan kit. What about that resin 1/48 Eiriksson kit, anyway? Shape did look off! And I don't even want to think about how much the kit could have weighed once built.

Having trouble finding Mr Elliott's web site now. Do you know the new web site address, please, WV908, mate?

Cheers,

 

Unc2 

https://www.sangereng.co.uk/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 9:21 AM, frankie said:

yes it is together with a (r)b-45 tornado and b-66 destroyer !!  :thumbsup:

 

regards,

frankie

I contacted Sanger about the B-45 (I'm REALLY interested in one).

The answer was less than enthusiastic.

 

Quote

Hi Sebastien,

Thank you for your email regarding the 1/48th B-45 Kit.

So far the interest is very limited. I have started the ‘masters’ but I will wait to see what interest there maybe.

Kind regards & thanks,

Gerald.

😢

 

S.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankie has beaten me to it, but yeah that’s the current website.

 

Regarding the 1/48 resin jobbie, there’s only a handful of photos of the kit and absolutely no proof anywhere on the internet that anyone has bought one. The shape does look a bit off too.

 

Cheers,

  WV908

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sebastien said:

I contacted Sanger about the B-45 (I'm REALLY interested in one).

The answer was less than enthusiastic.

 

Understandable considering it's a vacuform kit. I confess being not a fan of Sanger's products. 

In my stash: http://kits.kitreview.com/b45collectairereviewpb_1.htm

If at least it was an injected kit...

 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, frankie said:

Frankie, my mate! Thank you very much. :worthy:

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, WV908 said:

Frankie has beaten me to it, but yeah that’s the current website.

 

Regarding the 1/48 resin jobbie, there’s only a handful of photos of the kit and absolutely no proof anywhere on the internet that anyone has bought one. The shape does look a bit off too.

Hi, WV908, bruh!

Will see whether Gerald remembers me - I recognise to have been such a terrible nuisance to him from 2010 to 2015! :lol: It's just I was so interested in his Vulcan kit I thought I was never going to be able to get the Aeroclub one. Well, life teaches you never to say ne'er, doesn't it?

As for the Eiriksson kit; out of sheer and utter despair, I recall having tracked the auction for the only Eiriksson 1/48 Vulcan kit that was showing on the web back in 2012 - or was it 2014? Thing is I was actually never able to bid on it! Oh, I was so desperate about getting a Vulcan kit in 1/48th scale! :doh: Thank God I didn't bid for that one.

Cheers,

 

Unc2

 

P.S: Have read yer topic for Vulcan intakes and parts. Project sounds quite interesting! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the resin effort is a bit easier than printing one from scratch, as the shape of everything on the nose changes constantly - very much still looking for details, but doing these bits won't stop me buying the Sanger kit, mainly because it'll be a lot finer. My main effort is to create prototype and B.1 bits to convert this or the old aeroclub. It just has the quirky bonus of having to design the whole thing to make sure the bits are right. I'll start a WIP so there's no thread drift anywhere else. It'll be interesting to hear from the people who've read this, just how many have contacted sanger. 

 

As a quick aside, with now having the bare bones cockpit structure printed i'm realizing just how big a 1/48 Vulcan is!

 

Cheers,

  WV908 

Edited by WV908
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, WV908, mate! (if only I knew how to call you otherwise... :hmmm:)

Yeh, yer project sounds to be quite a challenge. Might as well have to design some conversion to the wing leading edge to go with the prototype, I surmise?

Can't wait to at least see some progress on yer WIP. Do you happen to know anything regarding Mr Elliott's progress with the vac-form Vulcan kit?

51 minutes ago, WV908 said:

 As a quick aside, with now having the bare bones cockpit structure printed i'm realizing just how big a 1/48 Vulcan is!

Strange, as the cockpit barely looks the size of a Su-33 on my Aeroclub kit. Ever since I read Vulcan 607 by Rowland White, I thought there should be room for a third crew member behind the pilot and co-pilot seats so that he would be able to instruct IFR to them. With both seats installed, the room in the Aeroclub kit is not even enough for the crew to enter/exit their seats other than ejecting!

In fact, I just giggled at watching this piccy on Ced's WIP of XH558 here:

 

4GBQVBT.jpg

  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only progress report out there on the Sanger kit is from a few years ago quoting it as nearly finished, along with a chunk of work being done on the masters of the Victor (something else I may be thick enough to try and do in 1/48). Beyond that there’s no other info out there. The prototype conversion set would consist of;

 

A plug for the bomb aimer’s blister

Intakes 

Leading edges 

Tail cone 

Tail fillet gap filler

Exhausts 

 

With regards to size, I can comfortably fit a 1/72 Vulcan cockpit with canopy fitted inside the 1/48 nose 

 

Cheers,

  Joe / WV908

Edited by WV908
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WV908 said:

along with a chunk of work being done on the masters of the Victor (something else I may be thick enough to try and do in 1/48).

:analintruder: Meaning a 1/48th scale Victor?

 

Hey, Joe! (what d'ya know? :bleh:)

Do the intakes on the B.1 differ from those on the B.2 in any way? What about the bomb aimer's blister?

15 hours ago, WV908 said:

With regards to size, I can comfortably fit a 1/72 Vulcan cockpit with canopy fitted inside the 1/48 nose

Ah, the 1/48 Vulcan nose; yeh. I thought we were speaking about the cockpit area. I plan to scratchbuild mine using a lot of Plastruct + Waldron placards and face dials. The other day I was looking for a kit which I sold on evilBay, when by removing a box, it fell and hit me in "they're" skull rather hard. Opened it and discovered it was teeming with Waldron stuff - placard and face dials I had the faintest idea I had bought one day, all with a sub-miniature Punch & Die set!

Only thing which bothers me regarding the Aeroclub cockpit is the vac-form canopy, which lacks the step present in the real one, at the base of the windshield.

 

w7QF023.jpg

 

Dunno how to replicate it.

Cheers Joe, my bruh!

 

Uh-huh2

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: Meaning a 1/48th scale Victor?

 

Hey, Joe! (what d'ya know? :bleh:)

Do the intakes on the B.1 differ from those on the B.2 in any way? What about the bomb aimer's blister?

Ah, the 1/48 Vulcan nose; yeh. I thought we were speaking about the cockpit area. I plan to scratchbuild mine using a lot of Plastruct + Waldron placards and face dials. The other day I was looking for a kit which I sold on evilBay, when by removing a box, it fell and hit me in "they're" skull rather hard. Opened it and discovered it was teeming with Waldron stuff - placard and face dials I had the faintest idea I had bought one day, all with a sub-miniature Punch & Die set!

Only thing which bothers me regarding the Aeroclub cockpit is the vac-form canopy, which lacks the step present in the real one, at the base of the windshield.

 

w7QF023.jpg

 

Dunno how to replicate it.

Cheers Joe, my bruh!

 

Uh-huh2

The Victor is a bit more complex in that you can’t just change the intakes between B1 and B2 - about the inner 12 feet of each wing is different.

 

Message inbound

 

Cheers,

  WV908

Edited by WV908
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...