Good value gloss acrylic varnish

PhantomBigStu

Traditionally I’ve always used Revell aqua clear 01 as my gloss varnish, however my local shop has really supply issues with the Revell rep, so now no longer a trusty source for it, I need to find a new supplier, looking for a good value for money gloss that I don’t have to order very often. Though I have spied some ronseal wood varnish in the shed that might prove suitable for the medium term. 

I personally wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole, if it’s polyurethane based it will probably yellow and you also don’t know what they have put in the stuff. It might also melt the plastic so I would say “ Stand back from the Ronseal “

I'm a big fan of the Revell Aqua Matt/Flat clear 02. It's the only flat clear I found that can be flooded and it doesn't leave any serious white marks so I can also brush it on if I want to. I have the Gloss version too, use it sometimes, but my favorite Gloss is the Mr. Color 46 (haven't tried their GX series yet). Smelly as you would expect, but the finish is really good.

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I personally wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole, if it’s polyurethane based it will probably yellow and you also don’t know what they have put in the stuff. It might also melt the plastic so I would say “ Stand back from the Ronseal “

It’s water based, looks very similar to Revell clear1, good point though will test on a scrap build 

Gloss? Have you tried one of the acrylic floor polishes? Whatever the current 'Future' derivative is on the market? Humbrol Gloss Cote works well. You have Hannants with their modeling gear, so perhaps one of their gloss varnishes?

Compared to a good matte varnish, gloss is usually a walk in the park.

29 minutes ago, sapperastro said:

Gloss? Have you tried one of the acrylic floor polishes? Whatever the current 'Future' derivative is on the market? Humbrol Gloss Cote works well. You have Hannants with their modeling gear, so perhaps one of their gloss varnishes?

Compared to a good matte varnish, gloss is usually a walk in the park.

Floor polish as in like pledge? I’f so that would be ideal, 750ml bottle for few quid 

There is a website that talks about Future derivatives.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

I am not sure what the type is called over there. I often use pascoes long life, though it isn't as good as the old Johnsons that we used to get.

Hmm, after reading it, it appears the current stuff in the UK may not be fit for our purposes. Others might have to chime in here with their experiences. Otherwise, you may have to try it on a test dummy, apply some decals in the usual way, and see what happens.

Edited by sapperastro
  • Thanks 1

A worthy question @PhantomBigStu, as you added "good value" that opens up some possibilities, these are my current gloss coats:

glosscoats.jpg

In terms of value (0-10) and effectiveness ( A-D) IMHO

Mr Color UV Cut  1 A

Mr Color GX  2 B

Mission Models 5 C

Alclad Aqua 10 B

Future Old 0 B-C

Future New 10 B-C ( if you "import" it personally...🤫

There are  horror stories around about the AK Gauzy et al that makes me steer clear of them. If I was to give you a short answer it would be Alclad Aqua: review by Our Glorious Leader here, vendor here but many online. BTW the I use Aqua when I'm doing oil dot//turps & enamel/thinner washes

Then  Mr Color for clean gloss finishes as obviously it melts with most solvent thinners I've used. By backing off the distance I get anything from full gloss to this semigloss I used my Hokeyboss F-15 in the recent STGB.

The Mission Models actually works well but is super fussy  about nozzles and pressure even through my ludicrously expensive Iwata HP-TH and it's nearly the same money as Aqua for a teeny tiny bottle. The Mr Colors thin 1:3 with Leveling Thinner so yield 40-45ml for £3-5 each.

Cheers

A

PS you do know that the Hobbycraft national  chain carries Revell Aqua gloss as well?

In the end didn’t find pledge on the shelves, but just realised Humbrol do a 125ml clear varnish, I’ll be able to get that from my local shop, so what’s it like and how is it different from regular varnishes like Revell aqua and micro-scale? 

8 hours ago, degsye39 said:

Another vote for lakeland quickshine here lads! Its just finding a good matt varnish that brushes well now, GRRRRRRRRR! ;)

Thanks, for Matt, try winsor and Newton, most of my builds in various gallery’s and rfis are brush finished with that 

Thanks for everyone who delivered suggestions, I’m sure I’ll try some of them in the future, though I tested the ronseal I’d found in the shed, brushes on just like all glosses I’ve used to date, with no reactions with paint or decals. Enough supply for months, so I’m all sorted.

15 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks, for Matt, try winsor and Newton, most of my builds in various gallery’s and rfis are brush finished with that 

I find it to be okay so far, I'd like to be able to compare it with the original 'klear' side by side but i last used that as youngster and to be fair i cant remember much besides it was great for dipping canopies.

I'd say that lakeland quickshine is definitely superior to astonish and pledge multi surface wax! 

What method do you use for brush painting the galeria stu? i cant seem to brush it on without creating tons of brushmarks! Sigh 😐

At the minute my final coat is vallejo matt varnish mixed 50/50 with quickshine or astonish, It gives me a decent satin.. But for bigger stuff i can see myself (begrudgingly) getting an airbrush to spray galeria or using rattlecans!

Cheers and regards mate!

Edited by degsye39