Vulcan XH558 - Airfix 1/72

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Glad if I can be of any help :smile: Did I mention that while spraying Windex/IPA for cleaning, I unlock the needle and move it back and forth while twisting it, keeping the trigger pressed? It helps removing the bigger residuals and cleaning the needle shaft without having to remove it completely (hope what I've just said makes sense to you)

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Nope, not mentioned before but I'll add that to 'the process', thanks!

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

It makes perfect sense to me G, & what a great idea!

Keith

Indeed! Anything to make the airbrush 'perform' :) 

44 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Some more work both sanding and filling, I guess, and it will look nice! :)

I'd go for a change of filter! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan - changed! :) 

8 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Best I say nothing I feel. :D

Steve.

Thanks Steve :) I hope I haven't offended anyone but those references are SO appropriate. 

I hope this is the last round of filler (PPP) before the proper primer coat:

42216663424_ca6f24f04d_z.jpg

41124765520_6b3cbd0267_z.jpg

That'll get wet sanded when dry - I can't use the usual wet finger / cotton bud method now as the seams / dents are so shallow it just wipes the filler out.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

I hope I haven't offended anyone but those references are SO appropriate. 

I'm more offended than an offended thing in an offended things shop..... :rofl2:

Except I have absolutely no idea what said references refer to! I thought the numbers were the latest update versions of some software packages.... :whistle:

The unfortunate thing was that shortly before you posted a bunch of Jehova's Witnesses had descended on the street - a little later & I could have given them a quiz & tested their knowledge!!

Keith

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Except I have absolutely no idea what said references refer to...

Proverbs 26:11 - As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly.
Hebrews 13:8 - Jesus Christ the same yesterday and today and tomorrow.

:) 

Just having a pause before I glue on the sticky out bits. 

I now realise the 'plate thingy' in between the exhausts on one side will cover up my careful filling and sanding :doh:

• Like 7

"Bufton The Accelerator"

Blimey Ced I turn my back for a short while and you have switched scales, added media and planned architectural recolouring for V Bombers

I'd better stay in Blighty for a bit or you will be building the Starship Enterprise or summat...

I like what you have done with this old bugger, I built an early moulding to be used as a shop display at EDModels many years ago when Ed was producing the Falklands War underwing Shrike missile white metal parts for the aftermarket

Happy days, however I digress, I had a fresh moulding to work with and got it looking OKish but nowhere near as tasty as this

I'm pondering your having to paint the beast without tubes up her pipes, would it help to paint the undersides first then support the DRYly painted side on three cocktail sticks held upright on a board

The points will leave very tiny contact marks, easily fixed or sanded off to finish the model off nicely

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just a thought based on a thought I think I thought when I saw that photo of 558 in her Maritime glory

Didn't she look 'very well' in three colour can with the "hrmph hrmmmph maritime pod stuff' hanging off her wings

I think that's the 558 I'd have built

But I don't do B I G any more...

😇

• Like 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

or you will be building the Starship Enterprise or summat...

Haven't you found that thread yet then Bill?! 

Good trip? I enjoyed the TV coverage, but nothing like being there...

Keith

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

"Bufton The Accelerator"

Blimey Ced I turn my back for a short while and you have switched scales, added media and planned architectural recolouring for V Bombers

I'd better stay in Blighty for a bit or you will be building the Starship Enterprise or summat...

I like what you have done with this old bugger, I built an early moulding to be used as a shop display at EDModels many years ago when Ed was producing the Falklands War underwing Shrike missile white metal parts for the aftermarket

Happy days, however I digress, I had a fresh moulding to work with and got it looking OKish but nowhere near as tasty as this

I'm pondering your having to paint the beast without tubes up her pipes, would it help to paint the undersides first then support the DRYly painted side on three cocktail sticks held upright on a board

The points will leave very tiny contact marks, easily fixed or sanded off to finish the model off nicely

Thanks Bill :) Are you back then? Hope you had a good trip matey.

How will I paint her? Very carefully... I have a plan in my tiny mind.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Just a thought based on a thought I think I thought when I saw that photo of 558 in her Maritime glory

Didn't she look 'very well' in three colour can with the "hrmph hrmmmph maritime pod stuff' hanging off her wings

I think that's the 558 I'd have built

But I don't do B I G any more...

😇

I don't think I'll be doing big again! Oh wait, I have a Sunderland in the stash...

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Haven't you found that thread yet then Bill?! 

Good trip? I enjoyed the TV coverage, but nothing like being there...

Keith

:rofl2:

Underside, not following the instructions but this:

v5.jpg

42889256312_d8712f48b9_z.jpg

Mrs B needs chauffeuring into town in a minute so other sticky out bits later...

• Like 11

Sticky out bits? They're not the same on XH558 as they are in the kit, are they?

42222970144_dd6af146c0_z.jpg

Hmmm. I can swap 104/5 easily but I think 101 goes under the wing? Pitots are OK. I may even scratch the V-shaped aerial under the cabin.

Probe plastic inserted ready for filler and metal tomorrow:

29069032748_c30abb848e_z.jpg

• Like 11

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Hebrews 13:8 - Jesus Christ the same yesterday and today and tomorrow.

Never used to be like that when religion didn't come on until 4 in the afternoon. Now it's 24 hours a day it's nowt but repeats....

Vulcanic activity here continues to impress Ced. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

haven't been able to catch for a few days but this has come on leaps and bounds, and is certainly gulping down it's fair share of filler.

For those shallow seams - have you considered gluing in stretched runner then sanding that down ?

please note I have studiously avoided the several double entendre traps that you left as bait in the posts above.  Everyone else is also being very polite I see.

• Haha 3

Thanks Tony :D 

Thanks Hendie - stretched sprue, now that's a great tip :) 

Talking of tips, the probe housing should be more like this I think:

42943048881_fe5da9af5a_n.jpg 42943083521_655241806e_n.jpg

Once I've had approval (or silence) on the sticky out bits I'll bang those on and then prime the bare bits.

Then onto the masks...

• Like 9

Thanks Steve and Keith :rofl2:

"Deliberate" is much better than "slightly slow" :D Not true of either of you, I'm sure...

Sticky out bits are on, probe tip masked and final primer coat on:

28080793777_3e9840a663_z.jpg

I'm going to use Colourcoats on this one and I don't want to waste any paint by spraying a complete single colour coat on this HUGE model, so my plan is to mask and spray one colour and then mask and spray the other. Madness? Perhaps. But if I cut paper masks for the wings then I should be able to crack on without too much pain...

Trouble is, each wing surface is more or less A4.

I'll have to do multiple masks then.

I scanned the scheme, imported it to Silhouette Studio (yes, I'm going to let the machine do the cutting) and split the scheme into four files, one for each wing surface.

I've tried 'trace' on the image but this is the best I could get:

42900820592_03ded7e76f_n.jpg 42900822172_b438674cd9_n.jpg

It will take an age to remove the random shapes so I may 'freehand and adjust', AFTER I've sized the image properly.

Later chaps...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CedB said:

mask and spray one colour and then mask and spray the other. Madness?

I must be mad too then Ced, as I often do it that way. Or is it just that I'm tight?! :rofl:

All this technology coming into modelling is fascinating, even if I could never be bothered to learn how to use it now!

K

• Like 2

Sounds like a good method Ced! :)

Would like to have a silhouette plotter/cutter too. Looks like a bit of work, but makes it easier once you get to mask and paint.

Håkan

• Like 1

Thanks Kieth - nice to know I'm not completely nuts! :D 

Thanks Håkan - sometimes it's just easier to use BluTak but this one's far too big for me to do that and get the pattern right! :) 

One problem though - it doesn't fit on A4:

42902289522_fc01fa3af9.jpg

See the red box? That's the paper. OK, plan B, cut the green bits as masks. I found that, if I fiddled with the 'low pass' settings I could get a rough shape and the adjust that:

42902284112_ba0a225c6c.jpg

… as I've done with the one on the top left. The plan is to cut the masks from film and then 'do a Giorgio' and mark the edges of the masks with thinned paint, then spray the area inside the line, mask it and spray the rest. If you see what I mean...

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I scanned the scheme, imported it to Silhouette Studio (yes, I'm going to let the machine do the cutting)

Scaling up the instructions in the photocopier then using a scissors seems to be 'so yesterday' doesn't it :(

Vulcan is fairly coming on now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CedB said:

and then 'do a Giorgio

Are you actually sure you want to do that??? :wacko: :rofl: :rofl:

Just kidding, it sounds like a great idea - the painting/masking sequence, I mean 😉 😄

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just a note of warning. I’m sure the Airfix instructions give a stereotypical pattern for ant Vulcan. XH558’s scheme is similar but different. When I did my build I copied the pattern in pencil by hand from pictures of the real aircraft. In some areas I remember there were quite big differences. 

Just thought I’d mention it, not sure how accurate you are wanting it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Scaling up the instructions in the photocopier then using a scissors seems to be 'so yesterday' doesn't it :(

Vulcan is fairly coming on now.

Thanks Scimitar - still a use for scaled schemes IF they don't need adjusting. Trouble is I've had a few kits where the scheme isn't the same shape as the plastic! :) 

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Are you actually sure you want to do that??? :wacko: :rofl: :rofl:

Just kidding, it sounds like a great idea - the painting/masking sequence, I mean 😉 😄

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Sorry to disagree guys but it's a lot of effort to save paint.

Next time Ced, build a smaller subject.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :) But it is a LOT of paint! I think the saved bits will probably do three or four normal sized models!

7 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Just a note of warning. I’m sure the Airfix instructions give a stereotypical pattern for ant Vulcan. XH558’s scheme is similar but different. When I did my build I copied the pattern in pencil by hand from pictures of the real aircraft. In some areas I remember there were quite big differences. 

Just thought I’d mention it, not sure how accurate you are wanting it. 

Thanks Mark :) Good warning... I'll have a look, even though I've already cut the masks for the underside of the wings :doh:

Edit: Mark I've checked the scheme against the pictures in the walk around and on the 'net and the scheme looks good to me. It's an insert in this kit and has 2009/2010 in the title so perhaps they've upgraded it for the 'starter kit'?

There will be a short pause while I attend to some non-modelling tasks... back soon.

• Like 4