Vulcan XH558 - Airfix 1/72

Daco strong seems to be the way to victory over silvering.

Seems like something I need to get.

Håkan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

They seem to be sort of little hook thingies?

If memory serves, they're slinging or lifting points Ced. 

Afraid I'm with Bill again, surface wasn't glossy enough to prevent that silvering, but the solvent looks to have killed it anyway, so it's all good! And she looks great!

How are you going to display her - wing over at the top of her steep climb out would be good!

Keith

• Like 2

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Glossy = Glassy

If the surface is bibblybobbly it won't keep air out even if its gloss as from a dry spray job

Glossy but not smooth leaves the silvering a possibility

Try putting a transfer, one you don't like obviously, on a shiny surface

Not the bathroom mirror I suggest, but you wouldn't be able to get air in under it if you wanted to

The decoration of models is the application of science to art

In other news

She looks very very good mate

Thanks Bill - glassy, got it! :) 

12 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking very nice times three Ced.

A big beast to hang from the ceiling though.

A spare RSJ hanging around?

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) I'm hoping two eyes will be enough and that the invisible thread is strong enough. Perhaps I should test it first...

11 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Daco strong seems to be the way to victory over silvering.

Seems like something I need to get.

Håkan

Thanks Håkan :) It's very strong stuff, much fiercer than MicroSol. I only use it when I need to show the transfers who's boss. Be careful if you get some - you really can't touch the transfers until they're dry as, hopefully, the carrier film will have gone.

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If memory serves, they're slinging or lifting points Ced. 

Afraid I'm with Bill again, surface wasn't glossy enough to prevent that silvering, but the solvent looks to have killed it anyway, so it's all good! And she looks great!

How are you going to display her - wing over at the top of her steep climb out would be good!

Keith

Thanks Keith - makes sense :) 

Wing over... there's a thought. I'll take some photos tomorrow and hang her up - there's nowhere else to store her!

• Like 2

I'm calling this done, finally! Not a kit to love I'm afraid but at least it's given me some room in the stash cupboard...

Of course it doesn't fit in the photo booth either, really:

29211610128_a152f07efa_z.jpg

So it got rushed outside to the garden table in the sun:

28214623237_33f701641d_c.jpg

43033254992_100a954dfe_c.jpg

43083871831_971f316fec_c.jpg

Huge. Difficult to photograph, especially with my limited photography skills. No RFI for me then...

Some more detailed shots...

The worth-the-money refuelling probe:

43033284022_c9480c2111_c.jpg

Oooh look, you can see the crew (just):

28214684997_1ce9c0b6b7_c.jpg

At least now I'll have some bench space:

42364965004_c713e1cb9b_c.jpg

As Keith suggested (thanks Keith), she'll look good in a wing over at the top of a steep climb out:

43084085821_44eeec3b8c_c.jpg

Thanks as always to everyone for their help, support and companionship during this build.

Not the best of kits but hey, it's a Vulcan and, what's more, the last flying one that I saw on her last flight.

Right, back to the Cessna.

• Like 24

Awesome build Ced! Looks very nice! Well done! :)

Guess what's going on my build table in a few weeks! :)

Håkan

• Thanks 1

I totally agree with Steve and I hope you made the appropriate noises when you were holding it up in the garden.

When I was in my teens I used to spend a lot of time with a good friend who lived in a nearby village on the side of a (not very deep ) valley, and one day we were amazed to see a Vulcan flying up the valley, not much higher than we were, which then turned away and climbed up over the hills. This must have been just at the time when everything was going to low level and I seem to remember that it was camouflaged on the upper surface but still white underneath.

Last Vulcan story from me.

John

• Like 4

Nice!

I just found out that one of my new workmates is an ex Vulcan/Victor navigator.

Still won't be building one though!

Ian

• Like 1

I've only just seen this, which is strange since the Vulcan is my all-time favourite British aircraft. It's a lovely looking job Ced, congratulations. 

I built the Airfix one last year...it was my first kit for almost 50 years. I picked up the hobby again once I'd semi retired and rushed out and bought it. Wow, was it a learning curve! If I had any common sense I'd have bought something smaller, and easier to build, but hey ho.  I did it in the end and finished it in white. It looks ok actually and I feel rather proud of it, but it ain't as good as your's. I'll probably have to get another one now to see if I can improve on it ... and do it in camo. The only problem is, I haven't a clue where to put it! 😉 

Anyway, your's is a beauty Ced and I've really enjoyed reading the thread.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Beard said:

That looks pretty good to me.

Thanks Simon :) 

11 hours ago, Teuchter said:

Nicely done, you should paint you ceiling to match photo 4 for the full effect :)

Paint the ceiling? That's DIY - ugh! Thanks Don :) 

10 hours ago, cherry268 said:

Lovely plane, lovely build

Thanks Cherry - the Vulcan is very special eh? :) 

10 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Awesome build Ced! Looks very nice! Well done! :)

Guess what's going on my build table in a few weeks! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan :) Good luck with your build and I hope this thread helps avoid most of the problems.

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks fabulous Ced, you've done a superb job on it. Big in't it? ;)

Steve.

Thanks Steve :) Yes, it's a whopper. And the Vulcan (fnaar!!)

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I totally agree with Steve and I hope you made the appropriate noises when you were holding it up in the garden.

When I was in my teens I used to spend a lot of time with a good friend who lived in a nearby village on the side of a (not very deep ) valley, and one day we were amazed to see a Vulcan flying up the valley, not much higher than we were, which then turned away and climbed up over the hills. This must have been just at the time when everything was going to low level and I seem to remember that it was camouflaged on the upper surface but still white underneath.

Last Vulcan story from me.

John

Thanks John :) I may have made a few whooshing sounds at times.

Great story as always, keep 'em coming!

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

That's one big bird, size isn't everything Ced...

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :) Size isn't everything? Not that old chestnut!

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Once again, Buffers, you do what most modellers only talk about. Wow! 

Thanks PC - that's really kind of you mate, appreciated :) 

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nice!

I just found out that one of my new workmates is an ex Vulcan/Victor navigator.

Still won't be building one though!

Ian

Good decision Ian :) An ex Vulcan nav eh? Watch he doesn't get you lost and then fiddle with the compass to steer the autopilot. That's a story one of my old bosses told me after the pilots bet he couldn't navigate them across the pond.

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The big bird looks very nice Ced.

A lot of patience taken with her sir.

Well done mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - patience? I nearly lost it I have to admit :) 

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Superb absolutely superb!

Roger

Thanks Roger, very kind of you :) 

1 hour ago, Timmas said:

I've only just seen this, which is strange since the Vulcan is my all-time favourite British aircraft. It's a lovely looking job Ced, congratulations. 

I built the Airfix one last year...it was my first kit for almost 50 years. I picked up the hobby again once I'd semi retired and rushed out and bought it. Wow, was it a learning curve! If I had any common sense I'd have bought something smaller, and easier to build, but hey ho.  I did it in the end and finished it in white. It looks ok actually and I feel rather proud of it, but it ain't as good as your's. I'll probably have to get another one now to see if I can improve on it ... and do it in camo. The only problem is, I haven't a clue where to put it! 😉 

Anyway, your's is a beauty Ced and I've really enjoyed reading the thread.

Thanks Timmas :) This was your first kit? I'm surprised it didn't put you off!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Timmas :) This was your first kit? I'm surprised it didn't put you off!

I enjoyed doing it actually even though it was tricky...doubly so for me, being the not-so-young novice that I am. I'm part-way through another one that's given me problems at the moment but I'm persevering!

• Like 2

I'm just back from my travels and caught up on this.  You've made an excellent job out of this kit Ced, definitely something to be proud of.  The paint job looks first class as does everything else.

• Like 1

Keep at it Timmas - it's a great hobby for us old blokes :) 

Awww, thanks Hendie, really appreciated :) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Not a kit to love

Maybe not, but I certainly love the result Ced, she's just great! And her pose on the ceiling is just perfect - brings back many happy memories of displays past ! I do hope your ceiling joists are up to the job though...!! :winkgrin:

I really must make an effort and try to find the almost finished one that I started the week after my son was born. In 1984....!! It's been missing in action for probably the best part of two decades - must be up the loft somewhere. How can I lose a Vulcan.... :confused:

Anyway, once again, brilliant job! Have you started the next one....?

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

When this came out we thought ourselves lucky to get a Blue Steel option

Those woz the dayze...

:)

Fair enough although other kits of that vintage had bomb bays. Blue Steel would have been a novelty back then though, being a nuke. Pretty rare to get a variety of different weapon loads. 

• Like 1