Vulcan XH558 - Airfix 1/72

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Hendie :) I for one would be interested in 'molding 101' - always good for an old dog like me to learn new tricks stuff.

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Same here. :smile:

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio - another vote for a @hendie molding 101 :) 

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

And here!

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

And @hendie I wouldn’t find a discourse on plastic moulding 101 long or boring.

Sounds like there would be some interest then.   I'll start working on it and post something in Chat (I guess?) when I have something worth sharing.

Nice to see you spreading your wings Ced.  What a large span you have there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 15/06/2018 at 11:06, Lord Riot said:

According to Craig Bulman's 'Vulcan B2 from a different angle' book, XH558 did have TFR fitted, but it would have been removed when she was converted to the MR role with 27 Sqn. Only the Vulcans in this list were never equipped with TFR:

<snip photo>

23 hours ago, WV908 said:

Cheers for the clarification - I probably should have checked my own copy of that book that I forgot I had. Not like i’d forget something that was signed by Craig in front of the bleedin’ thing at Waddington years back....

Thanks Lord and WV - great reference. I guess tracking modifications before computer records is arduous... certainly difficult for me! :) 

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Made it on page 3 (just!). Looks fab. And props for doing seamless intakes the “proper” way...

And @hendie I wouldn’t find a discourse on plastic moulding 101 long or boring.

Regards,

Adrian

21 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work with the wing joints! Looks a lot better! :)

Håkan

Thanks Adrian and Håkan :) Still sanding them though - ugh! 

19 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Good plan.

Good luck though :D

Some day I might actually finish one of the current production line.

Meanwhile,back to Vulcans:

http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/index.html

Thanks Scimitar - great link for 'all things Vulcan'! :) 

18 hours ago, hendie said:

Sounds like there would be some interest then.   I'll start working on it and post something in Chat (I guess?) when I have something worth sharing.

Nice to see you spreading your wings Ced.  What a large span you have there!

Thanks Hendie - certainly enough support to get something started? It'll be a great reference point for everyone... I can never remember the names of the bits; sprues, runners etc :) 

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful work Ced. She looks grand.

Thanks Johnny :) 

Surprisingly these arrived this morning:

27962162857_9369155852_z.jpg

I think I'll judge my mojo and work on the Cessna (gentle assembly) or this (sanding and bashing) depending on the mood!

• Like 8

With some 'smash the thing and get on with it' mojo this afternoon I considered the various options to remove the exhausts. 

Gently stroke a scalpel down the plastic, patiently increasing the depth of the cut until the plastic separates?

Use a scriber and some Dymo tape? Faster but still slow.

'Dexter' saw? Maybe, but the contoured surface made me nervous.

Nothing for it then, el Baron's Dremel cutting wheel technique it is:

41022410600_f42e0ebc6e_z.jpg

Ha ha ha ha! Chainsaw massacre eat your heart out:

41022410450_31951d29e6_z.jpg

I was a bit worried about the melting plastic... slowing down the Dremel risked binding... then I thought 'Do I care if it's cut out or melted off' and decided no, I didn't. 

However, WARNING, don't do this:

41931980155_a9630ef06b_z.jpg

If you read the instructions (wuss) you'll see that a ) the AM is designed to be fitted BEFORE you join the fuselage halves and b ) the cut on the underside is further forward than the top to match the step in the resin:

42784357302_8f46b0bd27_z.jpg

The wheel also won't cut up to the fuselage. No, wait, that's not right. Be careful not to cut into the fuselage with the wheel. Better.

After that you'll need some smaller tools to cut up to the edges but soon:

28959769338_01d1f4cd46_z.jpg

Same on the bottom (fnaar!). If you're using a scalpel then, as always, H&S rules apply; don't cut towards any flesh. If you do you might be lucky and just nick your skin:

27964137587_fd3ae8a7db_z.jpg

If you're not lucky a trip to A&E will be required and you'll waste lots of modelling time. Unless you glue it yourself with, gulp, CA.

One issue with this 'don't do it after the halves are glued together' method is that the tail goes all droopy. Rats.

Stick the fin on, that'll hold it:

42784675122_434e092e65_z.jpg

Yes, that is blood on the kitchen towel. A plaster has been applied to avoid future spillage.

Giorgio's single edge blades came out - much easier to handle I found. Soon we had a suitable hole:

42834853811_7bfe606c1b_z.jpg

… but the 'leave a bit of the lug' they refer to in the instructions was not cut enough and wouldn't go in the slot in the resin:

41933994565_780ae26ac1_z.jpg

Sorry, this is a bit boring isn't it? I've used up my aggressive mojo now but, after bevelling the inside of the holes with a dental burr, we're nearly there:

27967172767_ccb6a88409_z.jpg

42836053421_4a8f76d2d5_z.jpg

27967181027_9cacbcbafa_z.jpg

On one side. Harumph.

• Like 20

You were definitely right to go with the replacement exhausts Ced, not only are the the correct ones for this airframe but they are also miles better than the Airfix ones.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daring cut, that turned out pretty well. Looking a lot better with the resin! :)

Håkan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

ha ha! Chainsaw massacre eat your heart out:

Bold moves Ced and a top result on replacing them pipes. Sweating blood actually and metaphorically! :thumbsup2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Father's Day everyone! Milk it guys, milk it...

Thanks Martian, Benedikt, PC (yes you must visit more!), Stuart, Håkan, Roger, Tony and Giorgio for the kind words :) 

4 hours ago, hendie said:

Blood, gore, and lacerations.  What an X rated post.

You think that was X rated? Nah, THIS is X... no, better not...

Yesterday saw the anniversary of my selling the company and retiring.

Twelve months of freedom.

Time flies like an arrow.

(Fruit flies like a banana)

People asked me what I was going to do when I retired, presumably unable to imagine how I would replace my Sisyphean career when the rock wasn't there and the ground levelled out.

"I'm going to do nothing" I would reply. "I haven't done nothing for years. And I'm going to do that until I get bored. I haven't been bored for years either."

Am I bored yet?

No.

Of course there was wine (sufficient) and, finally, Lupini beans. I'd first had them in Madeira on our holiday in April and I liked them, a lot.

Mrs B bought some for my birthday in May. She hid them from me until 'the day' but, you guessed it, forgot where she'd hidden them.

Luckily she ordered some more and they arrived last week. Yum, nom nom nom...

(When looking for that link I saw in Google's 'People also ask' "Is Lupini beans good for you?" The only possible answer to that is "No, they ain't". Charlatans)

My expectation is that Mols will sniff them out when, eventually, the bag rots and they go rotten. Ho hum.

I also, perhaps unwisely, stuck in the other resin before I went to bed.

Uh oh.

No blood this time but I woke up this morning fearing the worst. 

And, for some inexplicable reason, rambling.

Must be the beans.

What do we have?

42798485712_496a77be19_z.jpg

41946141255_e0767b7078_z.jpg

41036102250_4086268f8c_z.jpg

42798509772_c83768a91d_z.jpg

42129240514_3bc8337e9e_z.jpg

The modellers Gavotte: Gap, step, step, gap, gap, gap, step.

Hold on a minute, missed one.

Gap.

Looking on the bright side, they're not that bad and it will give me something to do.

Fill, fill, sand, sand.

Not at all boring :) 

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

Someone's full of beans this morning! 😆

Great to hear that retirement is really just another 'chrysalis' moment in life Ced, leading to a new set of wings.

To curtail 

21 minutes ago, CedB said:

The modellers Gavotte:

such gap issues can be ameliorated by using a generous helping of epoxy to glue such features together - the excess is nice and hard when cured and can be carved and sanded back flush to produce a seamless surface, effectively using  the gluing medium simultaeously as a filler.

Not that I would wish to stop anyone dancing on Pater's Day, though they're all still asleep here at the moment and show no signs of rushing in with bounteous gifts...

Have a great day yourself mister! 🤘

• Like 5

Thanks Tony :) Good tip on the epoxy. I'd seen you using it on the Boxcar but forgotten :doh: Instead I used Giorgio's CA method trying to make sure the gel filled at least some of the gap.

Thanks Chris :) 

Right, NOW I'm bored with sanding. 

I think I've got everything ready for seam filler, then another sanding followed by primer will show any problems.

To progress I've stuck in the bomb bay and nose wheel doors:

42133250804_f165c25ba2_z.jpg

I think I can stick the wings on now...

• Like 12

Whoops just realised I forgot to post the comparison photos (shuffles away) - but it looks like they are not needed! I too fitted the new exhausts with the fuselage already closed up so know your pain, although I resorted to attacking the resin with a multitude of sharp and abrasive things to get it to fit. You’re already about as far with yours as I am with mine haha 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The wing to fuselage joins look reasonable so you can concentrate the filling and sanding on the jet pipes.

Hope the wound has healed, how many stitches did you have?

John

Thanks John :) Not to bad on the top, bit wider on the bottom (fnaar!)

2 hours ago, WV908 said:

Whoops just realised I forgot to post the comparison photos (shuffles away) - but it looks like they are not needed! I too fitted the new exhausts with the fuselage already closed up so know your pain, although I resorted to attacking the resin with a multitude of sharp and abrasive things to get it to fit. You’re already about as far with yours as I am with mine haha 

Cheers,

WV908

Not to worry WV :) Oooh, sanding resin eh? Nasty...

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Massive! Great job, Ced! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio :) Yes, she's certainly a big bird.

Closed undercarriage doors are not optimal:

41954104645_9d8881a14a_n.jpg 41954112825_b713ebdd6b_n.jpg

As John says, I can concentrate on blending in the exhausts, this time with Squadron Green (to save the Humbrol!):

27985974157_9bb269ccd3_z.jpg

Getting a bit bored with this one today...

• Like 9

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Well, there goes my bench space...

41951014995_c63a19ae10_z.jpg

& that's why I'm not so much into 1/72 for these things, too big for my modelling area & somewhere to put them. Nothing against Vulcans, I like them & do have a 1/144 Great Wall one.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

Nice job Ced! Impressive size! :)

Could you possibly use the wheel bays as template, and cut doors from plastic sheet?

Håkan

• Thanks 1