Vulcan XH558 - Airfix 1/72

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Before i forget do not glue the wing halves together. Glue them to the respective fuselage halves. Then glue the two halves together and fill, the former method gives vast wing root steps. Also superglue is recommended for gluing the two halves together, doing it a few cm at a time ;) 

Thanks Stu and welcome - I'll do some test fits and see how mine fits, then use your method if it's dodgy :) 

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Managed to catch this on the first page Ced!

I think the Vulcan begs to be built wheels up

Thanks Cookie and welcome! :) 

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

It just goes to show the power & allure of this magnificent machine, that Mrs R., who otherwise has absolutely zero, zilch, nada interest in anything else that flies (including Spitfires!!) actually came with me to watch 558 display at Weston - we had something else on later so couldn't actually go to WSM, so watched from the beach at Lavernock point across the channel. Still remember that final climb out....

Mmm, yes & cake for afters Simon? :smile:

Keith

Thanks Keith and welcome :) A great flight wasn't it?

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Page one! 😎 he likes ‘em BIG! I’ll get some 🍿. Looking forward to this. 😎

Johnny boy.

Welcome Johnny - big seems to be the flavour of the day :) 

1 hour ago, philp said:

Another plane I love.

Watching with interest as always.

Thanks Phil and welcome :) 

3 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Mind if I tell you another story ( first posted on a Robvulcan thread a few years ago ), I won't be offended if you say no.

John

Of course John, your stories are always welcome :) 

Thanks also for reminding me to credit Robvulcan - I'm not sure where he's gone of late but his builds are always a great reference for the breed.

• Like 2

Always great to see a Vulcan!

Do you think between us all on here we've got a model of every example of Vulcan B2?

So far I've made XL443 and XM602 ...

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

your stories are always welcome

Hope you don't mind if I share one of mine as well Ced? I might have told it before, apologies if so, but it's one of my best ever 'life memories' -

'It was the summer of 69 77 and the spotty faced, wannabe fighter pilots of the University of Wales Air Squadron were on summer camp at RAF Shawbury. Before flying our first sorties we'd had a local area briefing & were told that after take off from the runway in one direction (memory has faded so don't recall which) we were to climb to 500 feet, level off & then fly straight & level on runway heading for so & so miles (memory etc). as not far off the end of the runway was a low flying route. Anyway, one fine sunny morn Acting Pilot Officer Prune here  & his instructor received permission for take off, Prune in control. Final check of gauges, visor down, throttle fully forward, the usual neck breaking acceleration from Billie Bulldog, VR reached & we're flying. Tum de dum de dum, 500 feet, level off, tootling along and....

....lovely day suddenly went dark - well darker due to visor! As one, Prune & instructor pushed visors up, & craned heads upward, to be greeted by the amazing site of a Vulcan apparently motionless immediately above us - and apparently close enough to touch. I could see panel lines that looked like they'd had too dark a wash, oil stains, hydraulic fluid stains and drips and streaks everywhere - and some rivets in the engine covers actually rotating....I still can't believe what I can remember seeing....

...for instantly she was gone. And Instructor says 'I have control'....and Prune says 'You hav....' before the jet wash hit us & flipped us almost inverted!!

Wow, that was fun - and so was the rest of the flight. What wasn't was the b*llocking Prune got in the post flight debrief for 'keeping a poor lookout' Which to be fair was true - it was a flipping great Vulcan after all! What wasn't quite so fair was that Flt. Lt. Instructor didn't admonish himself - after all it did creep up on us from his side...!! 

APO Keith Prune, RAF, Retired.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hope you don't mind if I share one of mine as well Ced? I might have told it before, apologies if so, but it's one of my best ever 'life memories' -

'It was the summer of 69 77 and the spotty faced, wannabe fighter pilots of the University of Wales Air Squadron were on summer camp at RAF Shawbury. Before flying our first sorties we'd had a local area briefing & were told that after take off from the runway in one direction (memory has faded so don't recall which) we were to climb to 500 feet, level off & then fly straight & level on runway heading for so & so miles (memory etc). as not far off the end of the runway was a low flying route. Anyway, one fine sunny morn Acting Pilot Officer Prune here  & his instructor received permission for take off, Prune in control. Final check of gauges, visor down, throttle fully forward, the usual neck breaking acceleration from Billie Bulldog, VR reached & we're flying. Tum de dum de dum, 500 feet, level off, tootling along and....

....lovely day suddenly went dark - well darker due to visor! As one, Prune & instructor pushed visors up, & craned heads upward, to be greeted by the amazing site of a Vulcan apparently motionless immediately above us - and apparently close enough to touch. I could see panel lines that looked like they'd had too dark a wash, oil stains, hydraulic fluid stains and drips and streaks everywhere - and some rivets in the engine covers actually rotating....I still can't believe what I can remember seeing....

...for instantly she was gone. And Instructor says 'I have control'....and Prune says 'You hav....' before the jet wash hit us & flipped us almost inverted!!

Wow, that was fun - and so was the rest of the flight. What wasn't was the b*llocking Prune got in the post flight debrief for 'keeping a poor lookout' Which to be fair was true - it was a flipping great Vulcan after all! What wasn't quite so fair was that Flt. Lt. Instructor didn't admonish himself - after all it did creep up on us from his side...!! 

Much cloth was touched that day I imagine?

• Haha 5

Are you all sitty comfortibold two-square on you botty?

Once upon a time long long ago in another country ( about 1961 in the UK Midlands ) I did a PPL at Wolverhampton courtesy of the Air Training Corps. We were airborne one day doing a dual cross -country  and heading towards Ternhill, which was one of the turning points, when something moving caught my eye below and to the left and when I looked properly,I was surprised to see a large white triangle about 1000ft below us heading in the opposite direction. I told my instructor who said we should turn around and see were it was going, which we did, and found that it was heading towards Cosford, which we had passed 5 minutes earlier, and descending. The Vulcan did an approach and overshoot and went into the circuit, and we thought it was just training, so imagine our surprise when it landed on what was a fairly short runway. We went on our way  and when we landed told a couple of people what we'd seen and a couple of days later someone told me that it was a Mk I which was destined for a museum which was to be established there.

As a footnote, I went to the museum  probably about 15 years later and was sad to see that the Vulcan had been sitting outside for all that time and was showing signs of severe corrosion, and even sadder to hear a few years later that it had been demolished.as it was deemed unsafe. Another piece of aviation history lost.

John

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

OK, can I add to this thread.

A few years ago I was setting a P.A. up for an out door gig in Westerham in a pub back garden.

I heard the screech of an aircraft, looked up to see her flying past.

I dashed off to my boss who saw it as well.

She appeared again but alas my camera was packed away.

But the sight of her was amazing.

It will stick in my mind for eternity.

Simon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

As a footnote, I went to the museum  probably about 15 years later and was sad to see that the Vulcan had been sitting outside for all that time and was showing signs of severe corrosion, and even sadder to hear a few years later that it had been demolished.as it was deemed unsafe. Another piece of aviation history lost.

John

I gave your post a 'like' for the first part John, that bit deserves a :sad:

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Nice story ! Is this what the pilot used to call a"chicken run" ??

I can imagine that the wash from a Vulcan would have been a serious washing....

Here in my corner, that happen now very scarcely since a F-16 had downed an ULM in doing so....

Hey Offiver Keith prune, That's a great memory !!

Wow, I made it page 2 Ced !! I grew better !!

Go on with that big beast !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Always great to see a Vulcan!

Do you think between us all on here we've got a model of every example of Vulcan B2?

So far I've made XL443 and XM602 ...

Thanks Lord... I think @robvulcan is doing that on his own! Haven't seen him for a while but worth a search to see his Vulcan passion. Always good to see another though :) 

Great stories Keith, John and Simon - thanks for sharing them :) 

I have one of my own, passed on by one of the bosses at Henlow. He was a Vulcan Nav on night duty during QRA duties and was surprised to see two guards either side of the wings of a Vulcan on the pan making strange gestures. One would raise an arm and lower it quickly, then the other would raise and arm seemingly in response and then repeat the downward movement himself. Curious, he crept closer only to see them bouncing a superball (remember those) to see who could get it across the wings. Impressed he was not!

Thanks CC - yikes! 😮 I had a similar experience learning to fly a Twin Comanche at Old Sarum. On final approach I looked in the mirror on the nacelle to make sure the nose wheel was down and saw a small biplane spiralling in on 'non-radio' finals. I told the CFI and asked if I should go around. "Nah, not yet, give it a minute. I've told him before he should look out properly and it's time he learned a lesson". Not up to the Vulcan's wash but disruptive nevertheless! 

Back to the kit... for a while. 

Crew have been cleaned up, before and after with tools:

40958959860_3cdac804e9_z.jpg

The Citadel Seam Scraper does really well on kits like this with only a bit of sanding required and a quick trip between the legs (oooh, nasty) with the #10a. They were then given their Ratskin base coat and other bits assembled for a black coat:

42770467411_266b526aba_z.jpg

… then sprayed:

28897979568_0fd132dd6f_z.jpg

As stated previously there's a lot of flash on the kit. Out with the Molding Flash Sanders and the Dremel then.

42053758724_6ecd08bbe2_n.jpg 40960405350_15cbba5f8e_n.jpg

Best to knock off the nibs with the sihrsc first but then the flash seems to know it's had its day and peel off in thin strips - very satisfying when you get it right. 

Then the Dremel battery went flat. Cuh! I'm sure I charged it, er, last year. I'll have to do it manually! Oh, the shame for a tool tart...

40960684500_edd20df7bf_n.jpg 42771478971_6bde4cff87_n.jpg

Care required with the sihrsc as the plastic is quite soft and scratches easily - probably pressing when I know I should just 'stroke'. Not to worry though, that'll be inside and not seen again. Soon the intakes are done:

42722357582_fb46a80386_n.jpg 42054579414_705a713fd3_n.jpg

I know what you're thinking... possibly.

They should be white inside with metalised turbines - I'll sort that later.

They should be prettier - er, OOB? Does that work? Maybe I'll have a play with some filler.

Next step is part #18, the lower window, trimmed and glued in with TET:

42722547662_5cab847f83_z.jpg

Must remember to mask that and hoping that the tape is a reminder after lunch.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

nice work Ced.  (and some great stories too!)

as an FYI - flash has got absolutely nothing to do with the age of the molds.  It can be a number of reasons, but age is (almost always) not one of them - generally it's the inability of the molder to process properly, or poor mold design.  99% of molders really do not understand what they are doing.... melt, point, squirt, and hope for the best

Edited by hendie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see you're well up to your usual speed Mr B, the last time I built an Airfix Vulcan ( and I still have one in the stash ) I spent about a week just on the intakes, and that was back in the good old days when I used to spend a couple of hours a day at the bench.

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Curious, he crept closer only to see them bouncing a superball (remember those) to see who could get it across the wings

Good game, good game....!! :rofl2:

One other Vulcan story that might be true. Apparently during  a Families Day at RAF Odiham a few years back (one which we unfortunately missed), 558 was being displayed in a particularly flamboyant fashion, and after a low pass the pilot poured on the coals for a dramatic climb out just as he was passing over the Station Commanders house. And promptly blew a large marquee in the bosses garden away....!! 

Keith

• Haha 6

One year at a Greenham Common IAT the Vulcan displayed in the opposite direction to everyone else one day, so I asked the pilot  why at the  wind-up party on the last night. He told me that they always displayed in the same direction that they had practised on arrival because visibility from the cockpit was so restricted so he didn't ' change ends '  with the wind.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Prune says 'You hav....' before the jet wash hit us & flipped us almost inverted!!

Most people would be content with a walkaround but Oh no, you had to go for a flyaround didn't you....

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Crew have been cleaned up, before and after with tools

You read about some funny old techniques on here...

2 hours ago, CedB said:

probably pressing when I know I should just 'stroke'. Not to worry though, that'll be inside and not seen again.

Jesus, I can't breathe from laughing...

...better than Deadpool.

• Haha 7

Nice with a Vulcan build! Good start Ced! :)

One of the planes still on my to get list! :)

Håkan

Hi Ced,

looking forward to this one. Don’t forget to remove the TFR bullet and that intake fairing on the ECM tail as XH558 has had both removed 

Cheers,

WV908 

PHWOOAAR! A Vulcan!  I should really buy one of these but I'm waiting for a new tool from Airfix… cough!

I started building one when first issued, I got as far as rubbing down joins and a bit of white with my Humbrol Modellers Airbrush, but never finished it. Think I gave it to one of my younger cousins or something. Was gonna be a White one with Blue Steel as well 🙁

Go on, inspire me again Ced.

Davey. 

• Like 1

Sorry guys, out of likes again :( 

7 hours ago, hendie said:

nice work Ced.  (and some great stories too!)

as an FYI - flash has got absolutely nothing to do with the age of the molds.  It can be a number of reasons, but age is (almost always) not one of them - generally it's the inability of the molder to process properly, or poor mold design.  99% of molders really do not understand what they are doing.... melt, point, squirt, and hope for the best

Thanks Hendie - good to know :) I guess that's why the new tool Airfix are far better?

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I see you're well up to your usual speed Mr B, the last time I built an Airfix Vulcan ( and I still have one in the stash ) I spent about a week just on the intakes, and that was back in the good old days when I used to spend a couple of hours a day at the bench.

John

You spent how long? John that puts my few minutes below to shame. Perhaps I should try harder... :) 

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good game, good game....!! :rofl2:

One other Vulcan story that might be true. Apparently during  a Families Day at RAF Odiham a few years back (one which we unfortunately missed), 558 was being displayed in a particularly flamboyant fashion, and after a low pass the pilot poured on the coals for a dramatic climb out just as he was passing over the Station Commanders house. And promptly blew a large marquee in the bosses garden away....!! 

Keith

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

One year at a Greenham Common IAT the Vulcan displayed in the opposite direction to everyone else one day, so I asked the pilot  why at the  wind-up party on the last night. He told me that they always displayed in the same direction that they had practised on arrival because visibility from the cockpit was so restricted so he didn't ' change ends '  with the wind.

John

More great stories - I really like these, thanks guys :) 

John your slipped in comment of "… so I asked the pilot why at the wind-up party on the last night" did NOT go unnoticed! Lucky chap :) 

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Most people would be content with a walkaround but Oh no, you had to go for a flyaround didn't you....

You read about some funny old techniques on here...

Jesus, I can't breathe from laughing...

...better than Deadpool.

:D 

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice with a Vulcan build! Good start Ced! :)

One of the planes still on my to get list! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan - or perhaps wait for a new tool? :) 

2 hours ago, WV908 said:

Hi Ced,

looking forward to this one. Don’t forget to remove the TFR bullet and that intake fairing on the ECM tail as XH558 has had both removed 

Cheers,

WV908 

2 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

PHWOOAAR! A Vulcan!  I should really buy one of these but I'm waiting for a new tool from Airfix… cough!

I started building one when first issued, I got as far as rubbing down joins and a bit of white with my Humbrol Modellers Airbrush, but never finished it. Think I gave it to one of my younger cousins or something. Was gonna be a White one with Blue Steel as well 🙁

Go on, inspire me again Ced.

Davey. 

Thanks Davey - if I inspire you to wait for the re-tool my job here is done :) 

Remember I stuck the control columns to cocktail sticks to spray them? Where's the other one gone then. I gave up late this afternoon and had my apologies ready but then thought 'one more look' this evening. Of course it was in the last place I looked:

41879301665_1a83df175a_n.jpg 42062530284_91356acae9_n.jpg

under my Dyson Desk Lamp (I love Dyson). Duly stuck in:

42062562314_bb31ea3d36_z.jpg

The crew were finished and seated: 

28906484468_78b669bcf0_z.jpg

I have no idea why my Humbrol 163 is shiny but hey, they're not going to be seen again except in this shot:

28906535668_451d2c0306_z.jpg

Intakes. Ahem. They are not the best kit parts I've seen: 

40965452770_e7fc68593a_z.jpg

Gappy. With ejector marks. But John spent ages on his so I should try. Chisel, chisel, riffle, riffle, fill and wipe:

42730453182_a0e589ebe3_z.jpg

Hmmm. Need more work. I think I'll try to get this effect:

Vulcan-0057.JPG

(From the walk around here on BM)

Should be do-able. With some black paint. :whistle:

With those done I was ready to close up! Already! A quick dry fit showed that it wasn't too bad for its age but some over-sized locator pins were holding it back a bit:

42062896674_0e6d7da6b5_z.jpg

No worries, I know (with this plastic) I can soak, melt and squash 'em. See?

42780767351_4b6c3306b1_z.jpg

I used the Touch-N-Flow 'cos I had a lot of seam to fill and I know that one tube will do the lot AND give me some nice control.

What's that you say? You can see what in that picture? The INTAKES! Oh good grief... rip it open, instal the intakes and try again:

42063198844_d72be96910_z.jpg

Another shot, with scalpel.

We all know I'm an idiot, but that one takes the biscuit.

There will be wine tonight...

• Like 15
  • Haha 5

Nice work Ced! Even better perhaps with the intakes inserted! :)

Yeah, a new tool Vulcan would be even better!

If I only knew where to build and put it, one in 32nd would be nice! :)

Håkan

• Like 2

Hi Ced,

the TFR bullet is the lump right on the tip of the nose - the photo of XH558 you’ve provided from the walk around section shows the blank in it’s place clear as day :) 

The intake on the ECM tail is a rectangular lump that Airfix would have you attach to the top of the starboard side of the bulged ECM tail cone, just aft of the rudder. 

As far as I can figure from available photos, XH558 never had a TFR pod, and lost the intake during the K2 conversion as all the ECM equipment was binned off to fit the HDU. If someone can correct me on this, please do 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Thanks 1

As far as I can remember, XH558 did have a TFR pod fitted. Every Vulcan I worked on at Waddington back in the early ‘70s was tasked to be involved in the low level role and was equipped with TFR. However, that isn’t to say that the system worked well…the ‘fairies’ were forever having to change them! Now then, my memories aren’t necessarily accurate after all these years, but I’m fairly certain that TFR pods were fitted to all aircraft….I think! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2