Airfix 1/72 Westland Scout to Wasp conversion

I've got fed up waiting for the never-ending Freightdog/CMR resin Westland Wasp kit that has been 'in production' for years. We have also been promised a similar kit from Kiwi Resins, a conversion kit from Air Graphics and a Scouts and Wasps in 1/48th & 1/72 from S&M.

Anyway I have had several Airfix Westland Scout kits and an Airwaves white metal conversion kit in my stash for a number of years, so time to beat all these people and get on with it.

I thought the task might be quite daunting, but with care and patience, I'm pleased with the result.  The conversion included the Airwaves etched brass detail set, a Tasman vacu-formed cockpit canopy and a pair of resin torpedoes by Eduard. Finally the decal sheet 72-036 from Model Art includes a machine from 829 Squadron aboard HMS Rhyl. 

27882167217_8cc5b3d0ff_b.jpg

40940343300_7e3224ca52_b.jpg

42701842052_dc321db0a2_b.jpg

My local airport had an Open Day and the Wasp was very popular!

42033325744_50b67ede22_b.jpg

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

Lovely looking Wasp. Just goes to show that the old Airfix Scout kit can be built into a great model.  I really like the diorama as well.  Who makes the two chaps in overalls?  They're really good figures. 

8 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

I remember Alan Hall had a balsa wood conversion in an Airfix magazine when the Scout first came out.

Yes, it used tailwheels from 4 Hudson kits: these were 4/6 (22.5p) each so it looked dauntingly expensive for a poor schoolboy.

• Like 1

love the build and love the attention to detail, for example the flight from the "H" spot in the 1st photo to in front of the tower in the 3rd - which realistically represents the range of the mighty wasp!!!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Lovely looking Wasp. Just goes to show that the old Airfix Scout kit can be built into a great model.  I really like the diorama as well.  Who makes the two chaps in overalls?  They're really good figures. 

The ground crew are made by Preiser - from Set No.72520 1/72 Federal German Air Force/NATO  :Pilots & Groundcrew.  I have a second diorama underway involving this set, which I'll reveal when completed.

Also, if anyone is interested. the airport terminal building was made by combining three Airfix Air Traffic Control tower kits.  (see my separate thread how this was made)

Edited by AMB
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, AMB said:

The ground crew are made by Preiser - from Set No.72520 1/72 Federal German Air Force/NATO  :Pilots & Groundcrew.  I have a second diorama underway involving this set, which I'll reveal when completed.

Also, if anyone is interested. the airport terminal building was made by combining two Airfix Air Traffic Control tower kits. 

Thanks.  I must take a look at these Preiser sets.  Their poses are much more realistic than any ground crew sets I've seen by major model producers.

Just fantastic - and I did not know that the flotation thingies above the cockpit had their own little float balls - you learn something every day!

Great little diorama to complement your lovely work, just concerned that the sun is too bright for an English day, heh heh!

Presume the wee Landies are from Caramara or Oxford?

5 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Just fantastic - and I did not know that the flotation thingies above the cockpit had their own little float balls - you learn something every day!

Great little diorama to complement your lovely work, just concerned that the sun is too bright for an English day, heh heh!

Presume the wee Landies are from Caramara or Oxford?

The lighting was natural sunlight shot in our garden yesterday -it was a rare cloudless sky!   Correct, the LandRovers are by Oxford Diecast.

Edited by AMB

Hello AMB,

I think you did a sterling job on this very difficult conversion. The whole diorama makes it very spectacular.

Regards, Orion