Obscure Early Meteor PR10 Undercarriage Bay Question

neilfergylee

Hello folks,

I am building a Meteor PR10 in the early scheme of PRU Blue undersides and Sae Grey, Medium upper surfaces.

Would anybody have an ides of the colour used inside the undercarriage bays and the undercarriage legs please?

At present, I'm going for silver but wonder if they were PRU Blue?

Kind regards,

Neil

It would be normal for aircraft to be delivered from the factory in the desired operational colours.  I don't have a reference on the introduction of the MSG/PRU Blue scheme, but suggest that it was before the introduction of the PR10.

I would suggest that as the undercarriage and its bays are standard components and therefore likely to finished in standard colours, I'd go with silver.

19 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

Probably safest: I wonder if the a/c were shipped in PRU blue or silver?

Interesting question. PR10s seem to have undergone almost as many colour scheme variations as their FR9 brothers. Silver, MSG/PRU Blue, DG/DSG/PRU Blue and DG/DSG/Silver. What the progression was is uncleear as there were aircraft in service in Germany in cam at the same time as aircraft in mid/far East were in silver.

On the FR9, at least some of those with PRU Blue undersides had PRU blue nosehweel legs and mudguards, and I have a photo of a PR10 in the MSG/PRU Blue scheme that appears to show the same (Serial looks like WH569) It's also the only camouflaged one in a line up of silver aircraft in the Canal Zone! Looking at other meteors, this seems to be common practice (Nose wheel being the same colour as the underside)

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:08, Dave Fleming said:

Interesting question. PR10s seem to have undergone almost as many colour scheme variations as their FR9 brothers. Silver, MSG/PRU Blue, DG/DSG/PRU Blue and DG/DSG/Silver. What the progression was is uncleear as there were aircraft in service in Germany in cam at the same time as aircraft in mid/far East were in silver.

On the FR9, at least some of those with PRU Blue undersides had PRU blue nosehweel legs and mudguards, and I have a photo of a PR10 in the MSG/PRU Blue scheme that appears to show the same (Serial looks like WH569) It's also the only camouflaged one in a line up of silver aircraft in the Canal Zone! Looking at other meteors, this seems to be common practice (Nose wheel being the same colour as the underside)

Thanks Dave,

I did reply on Wednesday but I clearly pressed the wrong button!

Yes, you are spot-on: PR10s were both elusive and had the largest variety of colour schemes, so I think there is an element of having to find an example and do one's best.  Certainly in-service shots of PR10s are pretty thin on the ground: the majority of photos tend to be of trials aircraft.

I think I am going to go for PRU blue undercarriage legs but silver bay interiors.

Thanks again,

Neil