Tamiya easy 8

Thanks guys. It's my first proper build using a decent amount of PE but I'm finding it quite easy to work with for the most part and enjoying it. I haven't got any fancy folding implement, just some flat nosed pliers and fingers. Only bit of a PITA was the horn guard.  I've been using a jig from a Tasca/Asuka Sherman to bend the brush guards to shape and although it's not a perfect fit for the Eduardo PE I'm using, it certainly makes life a lot easier!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 110samec said:

Wonder if thy filled the jerry cans with water,that would make slightly better armour than empty ones

From the photo caption in the book, they were filled with sand. Empty ones wouldn’t have stopped anything!

• 2 months later...

Been a little while but I've managed to do a reasonable amount of work on this in the last week. Also sourced some more British jerry cans from bronco to finish the right side off. Whilst doing this I realised I hadn't attached the caps to the original ones. Even more annoyingly, I discovered that the afv club set that I originally used provide 12 cans but only 4 closed caps! I used them on the obvious cans and hope the rest are hidden with the sand bags!

ive got the hull mostly finished now, sandbags are on and the front and left side have the securing wires fitted. However in the process I managed to break the rear light guard off. Luckily I've got some spare etch sets I can source one from.

on with the pics!

bc8Zajw.jpg

gxTR1uE.jpg

eTVob6H.jpg

ive also got the .50 cal cover on. Need to secure the etch bracket around it but not sure I'm totally happy with the cover, may redo it.

q7KkOu8.jpg

right, off to do some more work on it.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys. Although I haven't had a chance to update in a little while, I haven't been idle. I found a couple of days between Christmas and new year to get some work done on it.

i finished off the PE and detailing work, adding chains to the filler caps and front towing shackles, did the rear stowage shelf and added the tow cable. The wire on left hand side extra armour is all done now too.

EwY050o.jpg

A3Z9UpK.jpg

4jiKMMi.jpg

HNUCrDQ.jpg

CGMZXDV.jpg

i finished off the other side of the turret, adding some spare magic tracks for spares. I also redid the .50 cover as it was too thick and I couldn't get the bracket around the barrel. So single ply tissue was used and I added a spare PE strap around the muzzle to replicate the photos. Casting numbers were added to the turret with archer decals.

JVzlJRQ.jpg

mOdn1Cm.jpg

I've also made up dragon magic tracks for this, built in sections but in two sections now for painting. The section around the sprocket is separate so I can get the tracks on after painting.  And with that the build was finally done. I cracked out the airbrush and laid some base colours on the tank and sandbags, using lifecolor acrylics, with a fading effect on the armour.

hVfk1Wa.jpg

pbMbQTB.jpg

eaUEmIJ.jpg

i forgot to paint the .50 cover but I'll probably just brush paint that. Next job is the detail painting.

Edited by bigfoot
Photo links
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

This is shaping up really well. It'll be interesting to see it with some OD on it and to see the magic tracks.

John.

Thanks John. The OD is already on it in the bottom three pictures. It does look quite light in those pics, and in real life, but it is on there. Will darken down in the weathering process.

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

Thanks John. The OD is already on it in the bottom three pictures. It does look quite light in those pics, and in real life, but it is on there. Will darken down in the weathering process.

Mea culpa. I thought it was a light coloured primer. Should have gone to Specsavers!

John.

37 minutes ago, Panther II said:

Wow!! Great job on the easy eight Bigfoot! Can't wait to see how it turns out! The tamiya M4 is sure a good base.

Thanks! Yeah I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do with this. Got some techniques I want to try on this I’ve not tried before. The Tamiya kit is lovely, fits together really well and a great base kit for up detailing.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Milojko Mustafovic said:

Any further progress? and did you ever consider these may be German jerrycans.

cheers milojko 

Unfortunately not. Having work done on the house and two small children means I have lost my man cave to storage and have little time to model. What little time I have had been used to build as that’s easier to pick up and put down. House work is nearly done though so I will have my man cave back soon and I fully intend to crack on with this one!

The photo caption states they are mostly British cabs and you can see the WD stamp on a few of them.

Thanks for the interest.

Edited by bigfoot

• 3 weeks later...