LET L-13/TZ-13 Blanik "Military Service" - 1:144 MARK I Models

Julien

LET L-13/TZ-13 Blanik "Military Service"

1:144 MARK I Models (MKM14495)

b01.JPG

The L-13 Blanik is a two seat training glider made by the Czech company Let Kunovice. It is probably the most widely produced and used glider in the world, being used by many civilian schools, and many military air arms.  The L-13 was the first Czech glider to utilise laminar flow wing profiles. The L-13 has a reputation for durability and ease of operation. Over 3000 have been built since 1956 and exported all over the world.

The ruggedness of the design combined with a low landing speed and ample control deflection make it very effective as a primary flight trainer. The type is said to posses many of the flight characteristics of wood/fabric aircraft but with the durability of more modern materials and construction techniques.

The Kit

Inside the box from Mark I you actually get two kits, each on its own sprue with the canopy in a separate bag (which is nice).  The plastic is very nice, for this scale there is fine engraved panel lines where needed, and thin sprue gates for the parts. As you would expect the construction is fairly simple in this small scale.  The bottom of the seat is moulded into the floor part, so the backs are added along with control columns. The back seat is also moulded onto the rear bulkhead. Once the seats/floor is in the instrument panels are added and the fuselage can be closed up. The tail/rudder is moulded as one part onto the left fuselage to keep it scale thickness. Once the fuselage is closed up the tail planes and wings are added, finally the one part canopy is added.

b02.JPG

Decals
Decals are in house, look to be in register and should pose no problems. Its worth noting that the carrier film seems very minimal, so care will be needed. Markings are provided for 6 examples in Military Service.

• RAF Gliding & Soaring Association, Aboyne, Scotland 1980.
  • DOSAAF, Aeroclub Novosibrisk, USSR 1970s.
  • CVV-14 Gliding Centre, Italian Air Force, Frosinone AB, Italy 1985.
  • Military School of Aeronautics, Uruguayan Air Force, Pando AB, Uruguay 2014-15.
  • Voluntary Border Defence Service, Lithuanian Air Force, Silute AB, Lithuania, 1998.
  • Air Force Academy, Brazilian Air Force, Pirassununga AB, Brasil 1970s-80s.

b03.JPG

b04.JPG

Conclusion
This is a simple little kit (but then the real ones are as well) it should make up to be a good interesting model. This is the first Mark I kit I have seen in a while and must say it looks good, they really do seem to know their stuff in 1.144. There is also a good selection of decal options to choose from. Highly recommended. 

Reviiew sample thanks to

mark1_logo.jpg

• Like 5