Metric scale AV-8A ++ Finished++

CliffB

Thanks Wes and Giorgio.

With my 1/100 builds, I try not to add too many refinements.  I like the fact that there is only a limited choice of kits available and virtually no AM stuff.  So not a lot of thought required - just trust to the kit's manufacturer and build OOB.

In fact, this is pretty much how my relationship was with Airfix when I was a lad - which is probably why I'm enjoying it again now!

Having said that, I've just noticed that while the kit's drop tanks have fins, those fitted to AV8As do not.  An easy fix (even now they're painted), so I think I'll do it.

P1100496.jpg

In addition to painting the dielectric panels, I'm also going to paint the top four auxiliary air intakes black, in a crude attempt to represent them open (they're moulded closed on the kit).

Hopefully I'll get the decals on tomorrow too :).

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, Rob G said:

That's looking like a 1/72 build. Pretty schmick!

Thanks Rob (assuming that schmick is good :winkgrin:).

Well here it is 99% finished.

P1100498.jpg

The 1% that's missing is the 'Marines' decal from the starboard wing.

I found the decals to be very hard work.  To start with, they take ages to come off the paper and then the carrier film is very thick and prone to silvering.

Worse still, they are printed slightly out of register, so that anything that isn't pure black has a white 'ghost' to one side.  I over-painted this ghosting on the 'stars n' bars' , but left them untouched on the Ace of Spades and ejector warning triangles (where they weren't so noticeable).  The ghosting was so bad on the top-of-fuselage red lineage, that I decided it was better to leave it off.

The missing Marines decal was fine, I just placed it too far back (in line with the kit's instructions I should add), and so it looked really weird.  The only way to get it off was to destroy it.  Normally, printing off a replacement would be no problem, but as I'm moving house shortly, my clear decal film is packed away :doh:.  I will get it sorted out though, once the moving dust has settled.

It's nice to get this one finished, so thanks to all involved with the GB for making in happen.  I now know much more about Harriers than I did before, mainly thanks to Giorgio's encyclopaedic knowledge!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

Glad to see this completed Cliff, looks very good, well done !

Japanese decals often like hot water, on your next similar model I'd suggest trying this, may help applying the decals a bit easier. Unfortunately it will not fix the registration problems...

Thanks for taking part in the GB only glad to have been of help

• Like 1