The Mig-15 still hasn't arrived...so I push on.  I expect it will be here this week.

Here is my third addition to this GB, a lovely summer diversion and a chance to thin the stash a bit.  Airfix' 1/72nd scale Avro 504, in post-war Chilean plumage.  Chile bought quite a few surplus aircraft for their fledgling air force after 1920 or so.  I am not sure which one to build, but I will get there eventually.  Most of them are the same pattern--CDL wings and PC-10 (or maybe PC-12?  Some help here, please..) fuselage, black cowling, etc...OOB except for the decals and whatever else I scratch together.

I'll prime it sometime today and start drilling holes for the rigging.😁

27879442197_950bed8506_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 11

This 504 will look quite interesting in those decals, but I must admit those multiple struts scare the heck out of me!! I know your a bi-plane maestro so I’d better watch and learn something along the way. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have been looking for an excuse to use these decals for several years.  Now I have it!  Thanks.

Were the decals 'freebies' with the Insignia magazine John?  

Or was it Playboy? 

Everything is possible in this crazy world of ours...

• Haha 1

All primed and ready...

I used grey primer for what will be the darker areas--PC-10, black, etc...and Desert Tan Humbrol rattle can for what will be CDL and woodgrain.  The CDL is lighter so this gives me a chance to tape some ribs.

I'll start my drilling tomorrow.

42710341362_069b013023_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

Holes drilled, sink-holes filled on the lower wing and 'wooden' pieces painted wit the first layer of pigment, Vallejo Woodgrain.  I am skipping the double flying wires on this one.  There will be enough rigging with the 'toothpick' landing gear to satisfy my masochistic desires.

42779659861_f345c3c563_z_d.jpg 

42779658521_ca124b5a92_z_d.jpg

27910512487_33f28f150c_z_d.jpg

I think I'm going to keep the seats.  Perhaps the Chileans upgraded their interior?  I'll use the provided dashboards and keep the interior work to a minimum.

One nice thing about this model are the Airfix struts, with the joined piece made for easy assembly by small excited hands.  The Pup has the same configuration.  Is this an Airfix trademark?  

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 5

Upon reflection, I think I built the AModel version of this kit about a year ago.  It must have been reverse engineered.  terrible kit.  Awful, soft, crumbly plastic, thick walls, clunky stuff full of flash.  This kit, on the other hand, has none of those characteristics.  Simple, yes, but well-moulded and of good quality.

• Like 3

Some cockpit work...not much. I have also 'varnished' the wooden pieces with Tamiya Clear Yellow.  The cowling has been painted aluminum and then touched up with some chipping medium.  After the glossy black goes on, it'll look good a little worn.   I'll close up the fuselage and get around to some more painting today.  

41908198475_4fe9d20d51_z_d.jpg

42808746151_72893ff39e_z_d.jpg

The motor is steel, the radiator can is copper/brass with some grimy wash.  The landing gear struts are glossy black.  Rubber is a mix of tire black, light grey and pinch of red.

27939945907_7ed58c00aa_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

I know...I've skipped a few steps in the documentation...so sorry.  I closed up the fuselage and it needed some putty in the seams, so I did that, then waited until it was dry and sanded it all down, then re-primed.  I did the same with the sinkholes in the wings.  A test fit of the lower wing to the fuselage revealed a serious skew to port of the wing, so I sanded down the gap on a bias to accommodate straightening the wing.  

I chose the second 504K on the sheet, with the white rudder and the aluminum cheeks, because it is more striking looking aircraft.  I also chose PC-12 instead of PC-10 because PC-10 was more common on pursuit ships.  The wings are British CDL.  The cowling and upper deck to just beyond the cockpits are black.  I made a couple of little windscreens from some plastic scrap.

I'll let this dry tonight and start in on the assembly when it is dry enough to do so.

27968706727_8fef8b9e15_z_d.jpg

Anyone want to help me out with my question on the Cessna O-2A thread?  We can make this work, I know it...I'll throw in a free kit as a way of saying thanks...

--John

• Like 3

Late last night I attached the wing-ed bits and let them dry until this morning when I inserted the cabane struts (they fit!) and assembled the landing gear with it's iconic 'toothpick'.  I also attached the radiator tank and made a little pipe from brass wire connecting it to the invisible cooling system in the innards of the aircraft.  I also added the air-intake vents on either side of the forward fuselage using a bit of Evergreen.  I'll put a bit of black on their ends to simulate an opening.

You may think, "Oh ho!  Now he will begin rigging!"  Sadly, no...I'll put on the few decals that this requires first and then rig it this evening.  

28977290428_44133ac1b8_z_d.jpg

41039252590_0939b882d7_z_d.jpg

41039253120_22051a33bb_z_d.jpg

28977291118_b498541dec_z_d.jpg

I think it's looking rather smart!

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 6

Have to agree John - looking smart and very striking.

I like how you casually talk about rigging this evening, it took me all night to add one piece of antenna wire to a recently finished Spitfire and even then I'm still not overly happy with it! This is impressive and well worth watching.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thank you Dave.  I'll try to document the rigging process a little more completely.  It's really easy but it just takes time, CA glue, hemostats and something to keep the aircraft steady so you have both hands free--a jig or something like it.  It's like tying flies for fishing lures.  

• Like 2

Just now, John D.C. Masters said:

Thank you Dave.  I'll try to document the rigging process a little more completely.  It's really easy but it just takes time, CA glue, hemostats and something to keep the aircraft steady so you have both hands free--a jig or something like it.  It's like tying flies for fishing lures.  

I'm not a fish fan John, perhaps that's why I'm no rigging fan either!! 

Thanks for considering to document the rigging process. I'll take special note when you get there - all in good time of course. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I do like fish, Dave, but I've never tied a fly in my life!  I think this is as close as I will get...

Ok..decals and rigging.  As promised, I will try to document the rigging process a little bit.  This will be part 1, but first, I adhered the 4 decals to the craft...

41044964350_4c097f6558_z_d.jpg

The other side looks much the same.

Rigging.  It is very easy, but it takes patience, time, magnifying glasses (I wear mine when I model anyway--3€ from the pharmakio) and something to keep the model steady and secure so both hands are free.  I will be rigging this with my 'usual mix', i.e. a combination of monofilament and stretched sprue.  I will use the monofilament for the big stuff--between the struts and the wings.  The sprue will be for the 'X' bracing between the struts, the cabanes and in the landing gear, which is quite complex.  There're many resources on-line for images to get the rigging right.

Here are some supplies:

41044964180_6589bfcc9f_z_d.jpg

I start by pulling a fair amount of the mono off the spool.  Maybe 1m or so.  Then I pass the entire length underneath the black permanent marker.

41955272805_78e50b4c1e_z_d.jpg

Then I cut the whole into smaller lengths.  I lost count somewhere but I will need 16 pieces for the wing area alone.  If I need more, I make more.

41955272215_7b57dc5c3d_z_d.jpg

Then I stretch some sprue.  Once again, if I need to make more,  I will.

41044962570_300193ca18_z_d.jpg

I use a lighter to warm up the plastic scrap until it wilts, then slowly and carefully pull the ends apart in a straight line.  It is crucial to not pull too fast or too slow.  You don't want the whiskers too thin or too thick.  Just right!

41955271655_78da29fec2_z_d.jpg

And I am left with these wonderful little tools which are excellent for applying very small amounts of CA.  

41955271125_6ddf2f0871_z_d.jpg

This is all, I imagine, old hat to most of you.  To those of you who still tremble, rigging should not be a fearful event. IMHO It is really the final act that brings the model to life.  Just as much as a single radio wire on a Hurricane gives the build that extra something, this is very much the same.  I do not pretend to be the best rigger in the world.  We have all seen some amazing work out there.  Turnbuckles?  Egads...All I remember is the first time I took the plunge.  It was an Airfix Pup and I took a deep breath and jumped in.  What a result, in both model and my heart.  

Tonight, the rigging begins!  I'll put on some Dire Straits and get into it!

-John

PS--try not to do this when caffeinated.  It can turn into all sorts of disasters. --JDCM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I put it off for years but have completed a few recently now and despite the odd hiccup I've found it a taxing but rewarding process and glad I tried because as you said it certainly brings the model to life.

• Like 2

John, your 504 is looking  splendid and I appreciate the rigging post to help rig-a-phobic modellers like me get over their inherent fears. 

Cheers and many thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

Just a bit more rigging documenting...sorry folks...I am not much of a multi-tasker.  I either rig, or take pictures.  Doing both is difficult.  I get into a rhythm and it is impossible to pause for a photo.  This is what I offer...

42846212252_e6b30e5656_z_d.jpg

You glue one end of the line in a hole with CA, let is set for a few seconds, run it through its opposite opening, attach a hemostat to pull the line taut, drop a bit of CA there, and Bob's yer uncle!  Trim off the ends with a new and very sharp knife blade.  This is time-consuming and sometimes I forget to breathe.

• Like 4

Another excellent example of what gems are still available if one is prepared to take a trip through Airfix’s extensive back catalogue. You’ve really scored with this 504 John and thanks once again for the rigging photos and text. It all helps - I hope! 

Cheers and great contribution.. Dave.