New movie - First Man

Caerbannog

• 2 weeks later...

Just about remember my Dad getting me up to watch in July 69 (wouldn't it have been better to release the film in July) the landing and clearly remember the splash down when the crew came home.   If the film captures the atmosphere like Apollo 13 did then it would be a great film.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Troffa said:

And from the trailer it looks like they'll be covering his X-15 days and his heroics on Gemini 8.  Looks good. Great ensemble cast as well. 

And when he ejected from the LLTV half a second before it would have been too late.

• Like 1

In my opinion his greatest achievement was getting fly by wire into airliners. There are thousands alive today who wouldn't be otherwise. First flight in a Fokker Triplane then service in Korea. There's a lot more to the man than many realise. Our generation's Lindberg in many ways. 

• Like 3

Buzz Aldrin always asserts that Armstrong was the best pilot he has ever known, admitting that he was much better than he (Aldrin) was. I’m looking forward to this, never saw the moon landing live as I was only 4 months old, but I have always tried to follow what happened to all the Gemini and Apollo guys as they were just incredible people. 

Edited by The Chief Smeg
  • Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, SleeperService said:

In my opinion his greatest achievement was getting fly by wire into airliners

I wasn't aware of his work in this area- I know Concorde was the first airliner with an (analog) Fly-By-wire system, but not that Armstrong was a champion of these systems- can you recommend any further reading on this topic?

ta.

It was digital fly by wire and Neal was involved in the NTSB at the time. The best book about the man is First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong by James R. Hansen which Neil co-operated fully with. The fly by wire incident was covered in a documentary at the time of his death, and HERE .

• Thanks 3

I have book, actually I must re read it. One thing about the book is that clearly Armstrong didn't just want his legacy to just be the moon landing. Throughout the book there was emphasis on his other aeronautical achievements and some emphasis on his exam results and professional achievements. 

I hope the film honours that to the extent you can in a movie.

I watched the moon landings live and even now looking at the moon I still haven't lost the sense of wonder I felt that morning in July '69.

• Like 3

I read the book only a few months before Armstrong. Frankly, as a book, I found it one of the most uninteresting of all the astronauts' biographies. I don't think that this was Armstrong's fault but more the rather plodding style used by the writer.

Hopefully, the film will be a bit more "exciting" - goodness knows, Armstrong had enough close shaves in his career as a pilot and astronaut.

42 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I read the book only a few months before Armstrong.

What, you read it before he did?  🤔😀

Darn - I meant to say "before Armstrong died".

I also read Raymond Baxter's biography just before he died. I'm now worried every time I read a biog if the person is still alive but getting on a bit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Darn - I meant to say "before Armstrong died".

I also read Raymond Baxter's biography just before he died. I'm now worried every time I read a biog if the person is still alive but getting on a bit.

I presumed that's what you meant!

As for your last sentence, that usually triggers a plea to read aything by N**l *dm*nds.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I read the book only a few months before Armstrong. Frankly, as a book, I found it one of the most uninteresting of all the astronauts' biographies. I don't think that this was Armstrong's fault but more the rather plodding style used by the writer.

Hopefully, the film will be a bit more "exciting" - goodness knows, Armstrong had enough close shaves in his career as a pilot and astronaut.

I got the definite impression from the book that Armstrong controlled the contents which was in keeping with the man and his personality. He was no Chuck Yeager and not inclined to hyperbole.

I'm  re-reading it now.

• Like 1

Agree re the book but this trailer looks cool. Here's hoping the full film is that good. 

I have to admit when I clicked on it just now I wasn't expecting much - after all how many different ways after the real thing, Apollo 13, the TV series Tom Hanks did, etc - can you really show a rocket taking off and make it different? But the first scene (and the sound) was cool. 

Claire Foy was awesome as QE II in the Crown and I bet she will be great as Janet Armstrong. Awesome to see the wives not just being a sideline (or a separate episode like in the TV show). The book and everything else always made Neil out to be pretty emotionally cold - which I don't think was true at all (poor guy lost their daughter at age 2, that had to hurt deeply as any Dad will know) - and it's nice to see they're rounding out his persona with his kids and family. I know the NASA of the 60s was meant to be pretty stoic ("proud happy & thrillled!") but we all know there were real families behind it. Without turning it into a family drama it's still good to have a fuller story (though Apollo 13 was actually not bad at that angle) in amongst the action and flying and mission control drama we all love.

Anyway I am quite stoked now to see this and it looks like it's worth a trip to the big screen. NA is a big hero of mine. 

And in the way of things www, I thought- "who's that lady who guessed the secret correctly?"-  Turns out she is Betsy Palmer, Hollywood Actress and perhaps best known for playing Mrs Voorhees (Jason's Mother) in the original Friday the 13th movie franchise.