Roden 1/48 Junkers D.I

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

I am curious what you did regarding the decals as the ones on the plane look fine but they might be from your spares.  I have the same. Exact issue with the plane😡

I used spare decals from the stash. The Junkers was a very nice kit--but completely let down by the rotten decals.

IMHO, Roden decals are useless--stiff, brittle, will not conform with any decal solvent I'm aware of. Even on flat surfaces with no surface detail, they will flake and break up if you even breathe wrong. In short--I hate them.

Good luck with your model!

You have made a great job of this model particularly being a Roden one. Roden models are not that straight forward from my experience. How did you mask the pattern so cleanly on that corrugated surface. I ask because I want to do a Ju 52 in the near future.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

You have made a great job of this model particularly being a Roden one. Roden models are not that straight forward from my experience. How did you mask the pattern so cleanly on that corrugated surface. I ask because I want to do a Ju 52 in the near future.

Thank you! The Junkers went together with no real problems until I got to the decals. Building it was a cakewalk compared to the Fokker D.VII--that one was a bear!

Regarding the camo pattern masking, I used masking tape, which was cut into the wavy pattern off the model. Then I laid it on the model, pressing just hard enough to get it to stick, making no attempt to press it into the corrugations. I was very careful to keep the airbrush perpendicular to the surface, so there was little chance of any overspray going under the masking tape--it worked out just fine.

Have fun with your Ju-52! I'll bet it's going to look great!

Thanks for the help. I'm still looking for the Ju 52 at the moment. I need it to replace a kit I built years ago. The kit took me ten years to finish and seems to have gone missing in a move.I have the wheels, but no body. 

I took the easy way out by doing the plain green Crete scheme. Hence the question.