De Havilland D.H.89 "Tainui" MacRobertson racer

De Havilland DH89 "Tainui" ZK-ACO, participant of the MacRobertson England to Australia air race, placing 6th in the handicap category, finally completed.

IMG_5511+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

For those keen to see a step-by-step building article with the necessary modifications and potential accessories, please go to this post:

IMG_5449+%25281280x959%2529.jpg

IMG_5489+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This is a well document airplane, so I won't abound in details here.

The Heller kit was the base of this conversion, using the Tasman Models upgrade decals.

A fully detailed interior was allotted, using in part a Kuivalainen photo-etched set for the cockpit. The "metal" frames and window masks are from the Arctic Decals detail set.

This was a pleasant build, which I almost always have with Heller kits. Must be nostalgia.  

IMG_5449+%25281280x959%2529.jpg

IMG_5509+%25281280x951%2529.jpg

IMG_5489+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_5452+%25281280x964%2529.jpg

IMG_5450+%25281280x958%2529.jpg

IMG_5451+%25281280x961%2529.jpg

IMG_5463+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_5479+%25281280x936%2529.jpg

IMG_5491+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

IMG_5493+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

IMG_5455+%25281280x961%2529.jpg

IMG_5512+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

IMG_5513+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

IMG_5517+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

IMG_5520+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

IMG_5523+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_5525+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_5526+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_5494+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 38

Really really nice, I like that a lot. Those photos bring out the colours much better, I did wonder if you;d gone a bit dark with the orange, especially after reading Tim's @VH-USB info but that is a very nice tangeriney shade, I can only hope mine will come out looking nearly as good come the day.

Steve.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Really really nice, I like that a lot. Those photos bring out the colours much better, I did wonder if you;d gone a bit dark with the orange, especially after reading Tim's @VH-USB info but that is a very nice tangeriney shade, I can only hope mine will come out looking nearly as good come the day.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks.

If you knew the number of times modelers go wrong trying to follow external, unsolicited advice. I do my own research (which, by the way. among other things, proved the "did not have radio" statement inaccurate) and draw my own conclusions, if I am wrong -and of course I had been on occasion-, at least it's my own mistake, and not following someone else's opinion (like the "no radio").

I am satisfied with the results of doing my own research and drawing my own conclusions, most of the times fairly correct as time and data proves it. Unfortunately not infallible, but what is.

But by all means, go for the color you like best, it'll be your own model and it should be as you want it.

Same here.

Edited by Moa
to correct typo

3 hours ago, Moa said:

But by all means, go for the color you like best, it'll be your own model and it should be as you want it.

Even though we might get there by differing paths, I'm confident my model, when eventually it sees the light of day, will appear very similar to your own.

I don't have access to a large library so I've always been happy to take on board other peoples input & filter the best of it to my advantage. Sorry if my curiosity & enthusiasm cluttered your thread too much, it didn't seem worthy of a separate thread & I 'm sure I wasn't the only one to benefit from from external unsolicited advice. I certainly have pucked up some previous nuggets of info this way, but I'll take the hint & restrict myself to polite applause in your future builds, that at least won't be hard, they are most worthy of that.

Best,

Steve.

Hi Moa 

What a fantastic model . Great work. I have thoroughly enjoyed your fascinating build thread  (even if you did get me in trouble with SWMBO by making me buy one, but you did also provide me with a note to excuse my behaviour so all is forgiven ).

Keep up the fabulous modelling 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

We all are mostly drawn to ww2 war planes but the civies from that era are something else.

Your photos all have 'PEACE' written over it in invisible letters.

Stunning does not describe it enough

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Even though we might get there by differing paths, I'm confident my model, when eventually it sees the light of day, will appear very similar to your own.

I don't have access to a large library so I've always been happy to take on board other peoples input & filter the best of it to my advantage. Sorry if my curiosity & enthusiasm cluttered your thread too much, it didn't seem worthy of a separate thread & I 'm sure I wasn't the only one to benefit from from external unsolicited advice. I certainly have pucked up some previous nuggets of info this way, but I'll take the hint & restrict myself to polite applause in your future builds, that at least won't be hard, they are most worthy of that.

Best,

Steve.

Dear Steve

You are kindly and warmly polite.

This is an open forum, and as such made by many and enjoyed by many. This is mostly a wonderful thing, and, like you, I many times benefited from the posted knowledge or the occasional exchange of points of views. The point is that we all function in different ways. I am extremely reluctant to post comments (if they are not a praise), other than the usual "like", "smile" or "thanks". I think of the individual modeling space as, let's exaggerate a bit, sacred. If a modeler does not ask specifically something, I do not say anything. Even seeing inaccuracies. Who am I to ruin months of efforts by stating "this is wrong", or "it should be this way or that"?. If I see a happy modeler, I don't want to spoil his/her joy, because modeling is about enjoying, not about perfection. It's a hobby, for heaven's sake, not a science. We all learn and improve, making mistakes, and learning from them and the others'. Eventually we all find what can be improved with our models. But a certain comment, even a well-meant one, especially after the fact, is bound to ruin a day for a modeler. And needless to say, when the "advice" is on itself not accurate, or not provable, it doesn't help much. We all walk a fine line, it's an art 😉

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Occa, that comment provides an immeasurable amount of joy for me. Thanks.

Quite right and while I build warplanes I never build them with armament. I love them for the aircraft that they are and not what they can do (in reality, of course). 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner