Meng Merkava 4M w/Trophy Protection System

Thanks Richard

I'm going to be in Ottawa from tomorrow until July 31 and there's a rumour that the 1/16 Jagdtiger that I ordered last Sept 5

might be in at the LHS around Aug 1st.  I'm hoping that it and the 1/16 Kingtiger with the Porsche turret will both be there to give me something to do for the next bit.

Not holding my breath but one can always hope.

I have to check at Great Hobbies in Ottawa for some storage stuff for this Merkava, a Bradley and that M3 Lee I finished a while back so I can

call them all done, finally.

Take care,

Lloyd

• 4 weeks later...

Great stuff, Lloyd! A small remark though if I may...the chains securing the side-skirts sag way too much, it should be something like this: 

Se5R9Gk.jpg

By the way, I've served in the very same unit (7th Brigade, 77th Battalion, V-Vulcan company) on the very same tank (3-Bet) when thy still had the Mk.2Bs... 🙂

Edited by Israel
  • Like 2

Thanks Israel

Thanks for the tip but the dumb chains kept falling off so they are super glued in place now.  Guess they had a longer chain on this 

tanks so more slack, or that's my excuse.

I wasn't really trying to model your tank and I haven't figured out how to mount the plates on the sides of the turret basket so I can have the appropriate

markings. They give you some fine wire to mount them but it doesn't work well or look right so I left them off for now. Need to come up with a better

way to mount the 2 side plates and the one at the rear. Any ideas or pictures?  They were easy to mount on the 3 but not so much on the 4 with all of the 

extra sensors and things.

Take care,

Lloyd

I've served on the Mk.2B not the 4M, but that was long time ago. Nevertheless, the markings you've used belong to my former unit now equipped with 4Ms.

As for the tactical markings plates, you could try alufoil or tissue paper soaked with white glue.   

Thanks again Israel.

Kind of a coincidence I picked the same markings as your unit. Can you post more pics so I can get the markings right, even though it's a 4M rather than

a 2B

I'll try the tissue paper as I lined the two rear storage bins with tissue and have some already painted up waiting for a home. I've

been thinking about the chain and I will try to free it up so I can make it shorter and use the cut piece on the front tow horns.

Got sidetracked now as the two 1/16 Trumpeter kits I've been waiting on for almost a year just showed up today at the LHS. I have

this Merkava and a British Chieftain Mk5 waiting to be finished but I've jumped back into the 1/16 German WWII world again this aft.

There's something about 1/16 scale stuff I just can't resist, I'm getting deaf to all of those moans and groans from my pocketbook too.

I have a 1/16 King Tiger already with the production turret and just today got the other King Tiger with the original Krupp/Porsche turret so that

will complete the pair. Then I now have the 1/16 Jagdtiger and that's as far as I'm going with that chassis, don't like the dumb Sturmtiger, etc.

Waiting rather impatiently though for Trumpeter to get it together with the promised 1/16 Panther G  and a 1/16 Jagdpanther would be nice too.

This retirement stuff is getting expensive.

Take care,

Lloyd

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old build,but very helpful to me as I am preparing to embark on this one.Looks real good,What brand paint did you use,I'm looking at Mission Models and AK Real Colors,but not sure what version to use.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 4:58 PM, Tojo72 said:

I know this is an old build,but very helpful to me as I am preparing to embark on this one.Looks real good,What brand paint did you use,I'm looking at Mission Models and AK Real Colors,but not sure what version to use.

Thanks

I just finished building mine. If you can, look into the metal upgrade tracks. I took one look at the ones that came with the kit and said forget it. Got the metal ones off eBay. Price was steep, but was totally worth it. They also add a lot of weight to the tank and make it a nice base. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-Finished-Metal-Track-Links-for-MENG-TS-036-Merkava-Mk-4M-Tank-Model/153552434216?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I also haven't painted mine yet, the Merkava colors are so confusing, they're all different. I'm just going to mix something that looks pleasing to my eye and go for it

Edited by TrackHawk
  • Thanks 1