Meng Merkava 4M w/Trophy Protection System

Started another Merkava today, Meng's Merkava 4M.

Pretty detailed but the tracks are a bear, lots of flash and probably won't end up as working tracks when finally assembled.  The suspension is supposedly

fully working but who cares?

slM7EV6.jpg

• Like 3

Here it is this morning. Got wheels now and a working suspension.  Those tracks are a Royal PITA though. So far have 5 links assembled and only 185 to

go.  Might not be working tracks when I get finished though as the 2 piece links don't fit well and lots of flash to clean up. The top half of the track runs

are buried behind the side skirts so they may be MIA.

IIwp4xn.jpgICdxpw0.jpgRw3MZ1w.jpgFv2v0Yi.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Here we are something like 9 hours later. One track run assembled and in place. It's 95 links, 2 pieces per link

and parts don't fit well with lots of fine flash to clean up.  They are workable but who cares as the top half is hidden anyway.

Not in a big hurry to start the other side track run.

Looks like the tracks will have to be installed before gluing the hull together because of that mud guard or whatever at the front it would be impossible to install

the tracks around it. Can't even get the sprocket off with the upper hull in place. Poor engineering Meng as the Meng Merkava MK III had the mudguard glued on later

not moulded as part of the upper hull so the tracks were a breeze to remove, a mild breeze but still doable.

72W0Syw.jpg0tWL8ju.jpgJjrbxQe.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Looks like the tracks will have to be installed before gluing the hull together because of that mud guard or whatever at the front it would be impossible to install

the tracks around it. Can't even get the sprocket off with the upper hull in place. Poor engineering Meng as the Meng Merkava MK III had the mudguard glued on later

not moulded as part of the upper hull so the tracks were a breeze to remove, a mild breeze but still doable.

Morning Lloyd. Could you not remove the mudguard with a knife/razor saw and reattach it later?

John.

Hi John

I never thought of that but yes I suppose the mudguard could be removed temporarily. The mudguard on the front

is a separate piece so I wonder why the one on the side isn't.  Minor detail but annoying.

Not much progress today as the furnace and a/c unit are being replaced.  Lots of racket and chaos and it rather cuts in to the

modeling budget in a big way.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 3

I like the injection chain armour under the turret basket.  Looks good.  I've got balls from Hobbycraft and fine chain to make mine on an Academy 4LIC.  Same bits as DN Models sell but a fraction of the price.  The Airwaves white metal offerings are dire.  Flash everywhere.

I see that Desert Eagle already have a $45 update set for this kit.  Gun barrel, rear basket fuel drum, missing width indicators (but delicate resin) and other bits.

German WW2 brass width indicators from RB are just about right (the longer pair in the set, so you need 2 sets) mounted on their spring "LAV" antenna bases.

I was considering getting this kit and dispensing with many of the £200+ worth of parts I've accumulated to do a 4LIC with Black Dog's Trophy and Legend's Droid.  But perhaps I'll just stick with it.

Soeren

Tracks are indy links. 2 pieces per link and lots of flash with poor fit. Took me 9 hours to do one run

of 95 links. Not in a hurry to do the second run.

Started the Takom Panther A with interior and zimmerit.  Lots of parts on that interior.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Widow

Taking a break on this one before tackling the second track run and the two machine guns which will finish the assembly.  Then off to the paint shop for my IDF 

grey/green brownish paint job.

Meanwhile I have started on that Takom Panther A with the interior and zimmerit. Got quite a bit of the interior finished and it's a Takom kit.

just falls together.  The interior is pretty involved but everything fits perfectly and is there ever a lot of stuff jammed in there.

Take care,

Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...

Viper - sorry about late reply.  Haven't been watching this thread and didn't get a reply alert.

Yes, I posted about being able to get the DN Models parts from Hobbycraft for a fraction of the price.  It's here:

• Thanks 1

Not quite finished yet Nick but getting closer.

Got to do something with those baskets hanging off the rear and come up with something for the turret basket but I don't have any stuff to fill

them up right now. Meng has resin loaded rear baskets but US$40 is a bit rich for me.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...