Another Rosebud Kitmaster Item on Ebay

French 241P Mountain Locomotive (ebay item 173359209295). This kit was apparently never re-released by Airfix after their acquisition of the Kitmaster line:

s-l1600.png

(I have no connection to the seller.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one. I have just aquired a Beyer Garratt from Ebayuk for £56 inc postage. I have wnted one since it was released and at the age of 73 I now have it! As I have hand trouble I can only model or 10-15 minutes before taking 1/2 hour break. Don't hold your breath for pic's just yet! This is my first attempt at the hobby for about 2 years.

Edited by paul178
missed word
  • Like 2

These were really excellent kits - especially by the standards of the time in which they were produced. I have most of the locomotive kits (under the Airfix guise) and, the Stirling 8ft Single and, Swiss Crocodile in the original boxing. No, they are NOT for sale!!:lol:. I'd love the Garratt but, I simply wont pay the silly prices asked!  If Airfix still have the moulds, I wonder if they might feature in the Vintage Classics range? Certainly be nice to see them again. It's a shame that there are so few kits of rail subjects around

Allan

• Like 1

Didn't Dapol buy the surviving moulds, either when the original incarnation of Airfix Industries went bust or from Palitoy? 

I do remember a story from around then that the Stirling mould specifically had been broken up. 

John 

According to an entry in this Wikipedia page on the LMS Garratts, Airfix broke the mold in 1982, no way knowing the truth or otherwise of that. Apparently Hattons had a Danish manufacturer tool up for another in OO gauge. I've long been a Garratt fan, & if I could trip over one at decent price, (yeah right) would surely be keen on one.

Steve.

2 hours ago, John said:

Didn't Dapol buy the surviving moulds, either when the original incarnation of Airfix Industries went bust or from Palitoy? 

I do remember a story from around then that the Stirling mould specifically had been broken up. 

John 

Ah! I think you're right John! Thanks for the reminder. Guess they won't be appearing in the Vintage Classics range after all.

Allan

I just yesterday received a Kitmaster NYC Hudson, and it it an impressive kit. My example even included an ampule of cement, albeit dried up. Also included were not one but two Humbrol Railway Enamel color charts, which I will be scanning and posting here in due course.

I'm not really a railway modeler, but I've always been interested in trains and US rail history since riding Santa Fe's California Special on a 17-mile class trip when in the second grade in Lubbock, Texas, about 1954, and the Rosebud kits are intriguing. The first one I acquired was the American 4-4-0 General, due to a family connection: A distant relative was an employee of the Western & Atlantic Railroad at the time of the US Civil War's "Great Locomotive Chase."

And speaking of the Kitmaster NYC Hudson, does anyone know if this kit is the same as Revell's NYC Hudson?