Export Sea Furys

Two of 'em in fact!  :fool:

Having built the new Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury - and thoroughly enjoyed doing so - I just had to build another. Or two...

One will be in Canadian markings, the later two greys scheme.  The other will be in Cuban markings, one of the aircraft which resisted the Bay of Pigs invasion in 1961.

001.JPG

• Like 6

Welcome to the GB ! Love the Sea Fury and with the Airfix kit around I was expecting a few in the GB 😎

Like the choices too, the Canadian wears a very smart scheme while the Cuban bird is related to some very difficult days in History...

• Like 1

I had plans to do the Cuban one in the Hawker GB but never left the starting blocks. It will be good to see one actually built.

Andy

• Like 2

if you need any decals for the Canadian Sea Fury let me know as I have this decal sheet and will never use all of the subject matter!

www.fundekals.com/seaFury.html

Regards 

Grahame

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

thanks Grahame.  I appreciate the kind offer. However, like you I have more Sea Fury decal schemes than I can reasonably expect to build - including that very sheet! :)

I must admit that I'm very tempted to have a go at them all...  :mental: 

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

thanks Grahame.  I appreciate the kind offer. However, like you I have more Sea Fury decal schemes than I can reasonably expect to build - including that very sheet! :)

I must admit that I'm very tempted to have a go at them all...  :mental: 

Don't let us stop you Enzo ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been playing around with some colours. 

The greys on the Canadian aircraft have given me pause for thought.  I have seen a number of references (including on Britmodeller) claim that the light grey is similar to RAF Medium Sea Grey.  So I sprayed up one of my trusty paint dummies, using Extra Dark Sea Grey  Gunship Grey as the topside grey.

dummy01a.JPG

To my eye, the contrast between the greys doesn't seem right.  Photographs that I have seen show the contrast to be greater, so I experimented with a few different greys.   In the end I came up with Lifecolor UA094, entitled "Medium Sea Grey" although it is clearly a light grey.  However the contrast looks right to me, so that's what I'm going for.

dummy01b.JPG

Sadly my rubbish photography skills don't show the differences well...  :wall:

As for the Cuban aircraft, here are the colours I will be using.

dummy02.JPG

• Like 3

I may be wrong as it's very hard to tell colours from pictures on a PC screen, however to me the lack of contrast seems given more by the upper surfaces, that look quite lighter from what I expect Extra Dark Sea Grey to be...

Great to see a Cuban Sea Fury Enzo although I thought at the time of the Bay of Pigs they were an overall olive green and the disruptive pattern was a later scheme?  I know I took part in a thread on the subject but I've slept and drank beer since then so I can't remember the outcome.

Anyway two different Sea Furies that I'm looking forward to seeing.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's look at the sprues

002.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Every one of these kits that I have seen has a short-shot section on the leading edge of the fin.  This kit is unbuildable!!!!   :fool: 

On some of them there is also a slightly short-shot section on the engine cowling which covers the exhausts.  That won't be a problem as I won't be using those components.

003.JPG

• Like 2

Glad to see this started !

Looks like a very nice kit, pity about the various imperfections in the mould... these can be sorted easily from what I can see, however I feel that it's one of those issues that Airfix have to solve if they want to be up there with the best...

Also noticed the famous Hawker wheel wells yellow ! 😎

I remember many threads about this colour...

• Like 1

One problem I have with models which have the opportunity for folded wings is that there always seems to be an ugly joint if you model them with the wings spread.  The Airfix Sea Fury minimises the chance of this with a very robust structure with the wings.

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

• Like 4

A (very minor) issue with the kit is that the cowling sections are slightly smaller in diameter when assembled than the cowling front ring.  This leaves a noticeable step if you don't shim the parts.  However, if you do shim the parts, you lose the cowling clamp detail during the cleanup.

All of this can be avoided by using a resin cowling from Aerocraft Models.

016.JPG

017.JPG

And we're up to date,

018.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 months later...