A stripy Meatbox

I've had a habit recently of starting builds for GBs and progressing well, but them leaving it too late to document my build.  So I'd better start showing this one.  It's been in progress since the beginning of the GB.  If it appears to progress rapdily, it's an illusion. :)

It's bee a while since I'be built a stripy subject, so here as a stripy Meteor, from the Airfix 1/48 kit.  The Xtradecal sheet shows just how stripy it will be.

M001.JPG

• Like 1

Sprue shots.  There is a lot of plastic in the box! 

M002.JPG

M003.JPG

M004.JPG

M005.JPG

M006.JPG

The model can be built with all sorts of detail exposed.  The two gunbays can be built open.  the engine bays can also be built open and there is even an engine stand should you wish to display one of the engines removed.  The nose cone can also be removed to expose the nosegear structure.

I'll be building everything buttoned up!  :fool: 

The cockpit components make a nice self contained unit including the gun bays.  As I was a bit concerned about the long rear fuselage causing the model to be a tail-sitter, I filled the gunbays with Liquid Gravity.  I shouldn't have been concerned though.  There is plenty of room for nose ballast behind the cockpit assembly.  Normally one would put the ballast in the extreme nose, but that won't work with this kit as the nose area is filled with the nose gear.

M007.JPG

M008.JPG

The gunbay covers were added to the fuselage halves before assembly.

M009.JPG

The fuselage was then closed up.  Here I came across a problem.  The cockpit section is a little too wide for the nose, leaving a nasty gap at either the top or bottom.  If I were to build this kit again, I would leave out the gunbay components completely.  As it was, I managed to trim them down quite drastiucally so that the nose fitted together well.

Don't attempt to glue the fuselage halves together in one fell swoop.  The parts are very flexible and will just spring apart.  I glued and clamped the nose and cockpit area and let everything set.  I then worked my way aftwards along the fuselage, using a lot of internal bracing from plastic card and even more bad words.  :angry:

But eventually, if you work slowly and carefully, you end up with something like this.

M010.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The undercarriage bay components were sprayed with Alclad2 aluminium.

M011.JPG

And then assembled. 

M012.JPG

Then we come to the main assembly

M013.JPG

The engines were assembled and simply sprayed silver from a rattle can.  I made no attempt to detail them as they won't be very visible when the model is finished.

The nose cone did not fit well...   :fraidnot:

Masking applied and model primed with Alclad2 grey primer.  The undersurfaces and fin were then sprayed with Alclad2 black primer.

M014.JPG

The undersides

M015.JPG

And then masked.  I did the black first to avoid the futility of masking a yellow background with yellow tape...  :D 

M016.JPG

Underside sprayed and we move onto the uppersurfaces, which were sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1015 Light Aircraft Grey

M018.JPG

Masking removed. Almost ready for the stickers. :fool:

M019.JPG

M020.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I must apologise for completely missing this WIP Enzo. I’ve only noticed it in the GB gallery and it looks just fabulous. Lovely paint job and a really effective, clean finish. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1