Matrix Messerschmitt Madness

Time to start documenting my builds, which have been in progress since the start of the GB.

I will be using the new airfix 1/72 scale kit, a popular choice in this GB.

001.JPG

But I will be building three of 'em!  :mental:

002.JPG

• Like 4

The usual sprue shots. 

003.JPG

004.JPG

It's a very well engineered little kit with one exception - the nacelle fit.  But as you'll see, that's easy fixed.   The fuselage and cockpit parts are on a seperate sprue which will be replaced by a complete new sprue in the forthcoming Me262B boxing.  Looking forward to that one, by the way.

My three choices will be:

Me262 V6 in overall RLM76

Me262A1a from Ekdo 2 in the mid-war 74/75/76 camouflage

Avia S-92 of 5 Squadron, Czechoslovak Air Force in 1949

The first two choices will be taken from an Xtradecal sheet.  The S-92 will be from a Kora decal sheet.

• Like 4

First components to build are the cockpits.  These were sprayed with Lifecolor UA-133 RLM 66 grey.  That lovely instrument panel is from the Airfix decal sheet!

005.JPG

I added some seatbelts from Eduard.

006.JPG

Then I built the engine nacelles.

007.JPG

• Like 2

Now we start to get sneaky.  As I said earlier, there is an issue with the nacelles.  They simply don't fit without a bit of surgery.  however that surgery is incredibly easy.  Simply take the lower wing section and seperate the two outer wing undersurfaces.  Throw away the plastic section that fits underneath the nacelle.  That's what causes the fit problem.

008.JPG

At the top you can see the untouched parts.  In the middle is the lower wing part with the troublesome sections removed.

At the bottom is the assembled centre section with the outer wings also assembled.

Then simply glue them together as shown and you end up with a nice wing assemble with properly fitting nacelles.

009.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Building the fuselages.  The interiors were sprayed with AK Xtreme Metal Duralumin.

010.JPG

Fuselages, cockpits and wings ready for main assembly.

011.JPG

Although the photo doesn't show it, I deviated from the instruction sequence again when installing the cockpits.  The instructions would have you glue the cockpit in place on the lower wing and then offer the whole assembly up to the fuselage.

I removed the locating lugs from the rear of the cockpit assemble and glued it in place on the fuselage thus ensuring a good fit. 

Then I went for main assembly.

012.JPG

All were primed with Alclad2 grey primer and the yellow band on one was sprayed with yellow from a rattle can.

• Like 4

Nice going Enzo, you've made short work of those. I took your advice on fitting the engines, they went on with no hassle once the surgery was complete.

• Like 1

Now we move on to painting.  Two of them are very easy indeed. :)

013.JPG

colours used are:

RLM 74  -  Xtracrylix XA1206

RLM 75  -  Xtracrylix XA1207

RLM 76  -  Xtracrylix XA1208

RLM 02  -  Lifecolor UA504 

C001.JPG

V001.JPG

Sw001.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

May I ask how have you masked the contents of the open cockpits?

The cockpits are filled with tissue paper which is then sealed with Copydex adhesive.  The main gear wells are sealed in the same way while the intakes, exhausts and nose gear wells are simply filled with Copydex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello @CliffB .. I stuff kitchen paper towels that are cut into small rectangles then folded into the cockpit opening. Sometimes i use the canopy if i am going to paint that with the airbrush ? Sometimes i tape/blutac the paper towels to seal up any small openings that the towel doesn't get. Been doing this for 30 years without any major issues. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gosh I didn't visit the main thread for a week or so and look what happens!

Welcome aboard Enzo, I do remember you mentioning these builds..........but then forgot! :doh: And three of them as well, poor old Airfix is probably wondering whats happened (I think I count 8 in this build), with the sudden rush of restock orders! 

Nice little production line you have going on there. Plus I like how you've covered the history of the Me-262 in three builds.

Good luck with the rest of the build though i think in your next post they'll be completed!

• 2 weeks later...

I added a fourth one into the mix...   :frantic: 

This is an Me262-A2a Sturmvogel, the fighter-bomber version.  I have filled the inner gun troughs and added the pylons which are supplied in the kit.   The RLM 76 undersurfaces are sprayed with Xtraxrylix XA1208.  The uppersurfaces are sprayed with Lifecolor UA510 RLM 81 and UA511 RLM 82.

Stm001.JPG

Stm002.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely Schwarm Great effort! The saviour of the Airfix Me262 as well, thank you for the save, and these are all great, like the Czechoslovak version 

• Like 1