Tamiya Polycarbonate Paints

224 Peter

I've been given a load of Tamiya paints, obviously quite old as a few show Richard Kohnstam Ltd as the supplier...

Some of them are coded PC "for polycarbonate".

Tamiya's website says that these paints should never be used on plastic, that they are designed only for use on the inside of polycarbonate body shells. 

Does anyone know for sure if this is really the case and what happens if sprayed on normal plastic? Is there some sort of reaction. 

If they are useless on polystyrene then I'll move them on to whoever wants them. 

The Polycarbonate paints are designed for use on the clear Lexan bodies found in Tamiya R/C car kits. These car bodies flex a lot when the cars are bumped around  and the  polycarbonate paint  is designed not to flake or peel from the car body. It will etch/melt conventional polystyrene kit parts hence the warning on the Tamiya website.

On 11/06/2018 at 19:47, rod mcq said:

The Polycarbonate paints are designed for use on the clear Lexan bodies found in Tamiya R/C car kits. These car bodies flex a lot when the cars are bumped around  and the  polycarbonate paint  is designed not to flake or peel from the car body. It will etch/melt conventional polystyrene kit parts hence the warning on the Tamiya website.

I think some experimentation is called for, so will do the following:

1. Spray over humbrol primer

2. Spray on bare plastic

3. as above, but brush. 

Some web research suggests that when used "conventionally" they dry matt, so I also need to see how they react to both Kleer and gloss Tamiya varnish sprayed over. 

I have some interesting colours, black, white and silver, useful on RAF aircraft and gold and metallic red and blue...not exactly useful! 

More on this as I discover....

2 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Some web research suggests that when used "conventionally" they dry matt,

Thats interesting... 

Doesn’t matter when used on the inside of clear PC bodies as will always seem shiny through the plastic...

please report back as will be handy to know if anyone else sees them going cheap...