OP under a tree

Well the beautiful work contained in this sub forum inspired me to at least try my hand at making a small vignette. I know next to nothing about painting and modeling figures let alone vehicles and landscape but decided to give it a go none the less so here is some of my humble attempts thus far.

I made a wire skeleton to a tree:

IMG_20180609_161414.jpg

Then started building and painting two figures:

IMG_20180609_161234.jpg

IMG_20180609_161124.jpg

(they are by no means finished)

Slapped together a motorcycle and started painting it:

IMG_20180609_161321.jpg

and did up a couple of sandbags:

IMG_20180609_161144.jpg

Tried a couple of layouts:

IMG_20180609_161936.jpg

Drowned my tree skeleton in plaster of paris amongst other things:

IMG_20180610_143033.jpg

Then came up with some interesting layouts and textures:

IMG_20180610_143033.jpg

IMG_20180610_105116.jpg

IMG_20180610_143611.jpgIMG_20180610_105116.jpg

The plan is to do this as a sort of learning curve build and do it as a type of while we wait for glue etc to dry during the Airfix GB.

Seeing as this is my first attempt at trying my hand at dios,figures and landscape any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 2

I once made a chicken-wire dragon and an 'Alien' (from the film 'Alien' funnily enough) Believe it or not, I made up some 'dough' using wallpaper paste and flour and slapped that over the wire armatures, then baked them in the oven. The dough went hard and crispy and thickened the wires by a factor of 10 or more... giving a nice bulky skeleton effect. Then I painted over with several sthick coats of emulsion paint before several coats of gloss varnish. The two 'models' are now 5 yrs old and are still as they were on the day they were made. I suspect your plaster may crack and drop off over time, but I hope it doesn't because you have made a nice little vignette with great composition!

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

Thank you @Badder and @Major_Error for your very kind comments and the advice.In the meantime I have reinforced the plaster base with cold glue so I do not think that it will crack anytime soon I hope.............

Well I have been up to no good in the meantime and here is what I have come up with in the meantime.I know it does not look like much but I am a first timer after all......LOL

As always comments and advice is welcomed.

Regards:

Shaun

IMG_20180614_181301.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, the South African said:

Thank you @Badder and @Major_Error for your very kind comments and the advice.In the meantime I have reinforced the plaster base with cold glue so I do not think that it will crack anytime soon I hope.............

Hi Shaun,

I was more concerned about the plaster used for the tree. I really hope you don't have cracking in the future because that foliage is looking great so far. 

I'm not sure how much more you're planning to add, but try to leave some spaces here and there so you can see into the centre of the tree in places, and even straight through to the other side. The last tree I made would have been a lot better, and quicker and cheaper to make, if I hadn't gotten carried away and filled in all the gaps!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

IMG_20180623_113947.jpgIMG_20180624_154754.jpgIMG_20180624_154729.jpgIMG_20180624_130433.jpg

so I had some time to start painting and to do some additional work on the base and this is what I came up with for the afternoon.After taking these (very poor quality) photo's I did a bit more painting especially on the figure as I am not very pleased with how it came out.

Thanks for looking and as always comments and advice is welcome.NAY sought.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1