1/72nd Airfix Spitfire Mk.IX, 328 Sqn/ GC.1/7 Provence, Free French Air Force 1944....... FINISHED

Hiya Folks,

While researching schemes for an Eduard Spitfire Mk.IX, I came across this aircraft from 328 Sqn/ GC.1/7 Provence of the Free French Air Force and realising that it was one of the decal options in an Airfix Spitfire IX kit in the stash,.... I decided to have a bash at building the Airfix kit as it is quite a simple build.

Here is the real thing;

42735585581_e7e276d49e_b.jpgSpitfire-MkIX-RAF-328Sqn-GC1.7-MA574-North-Africa-1944-01 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Looks like the fuselage roundel has a yellow outline,.... which is missing from the Airfix kit decals? I don`t think that it is the outline of a painted out previous roundel.

Here are the Airfix paint instructions and decals;

42685893492_89dcba9411_k.jpgDSCF4115 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Here is the box art;

40924937670_432de38f2d_k.jpgDSCF4114 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Here are the parts;

40924937030_3e5084486b_k.jpgDSCF4116 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42685892312_ac960355ce_k.jpgDSCF4117 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And I`ve started to pre paint the interior;

42685891572_6d1babe94b_k.jpgDSCF4118 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

There's just no stopping you is there Tony?

Another great choice, I do like the combination of French markings and the RAF desert camouflage scheme, I would like to have a go at this is 1/48 using the Eduard kit in the future, assuming I can find the decals.

Looking forward to the end result, probably by the weekend going by your recent build rate🙂.

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2018 at 9:41 PM, modelling minion said:

There's just no stopping you is there Tony?

Another great choice, I do like the combination of French markings and the RAF desert camouflage scheme, I would like to have a go at this is 1/48 using the Eduard kit in the future, assuming I can find the decals.

Looking forward to the end result, probably by the weekend going by your recent build rate🙂.

Haha,..... yeah I do get the bit between my teeth a bit don`t I!!! I like the desert camo and French markings,...... I just need to find a French roundel with a yellow surround for the fuselage as the kit doesn`t include one. It would look great in 1/48th so good look finding decals..... you never know,...if you lobby Eduard with a photo etc,.... then they may think that it is a good idea for a weekend kit too?

Well,... I`ve just realised that I`ve not taken any progress photos with this one,.....I`ve applied the Middle Stone base coat,..... using Polly Scale as it is a bit paler and not as yellow as the Humbrol version that I have been using lately,....... unfortunately it streaked like hell! After quite a bit of light sanding and buffing,...hopefully I have got rid of most of the streaking;

42803301112_e14a6fb2f1_k.jpgDSCF4183 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Who hasn’t got one of these kits lurking somewhere in their stash? Good to see you tackle this kit as although it’s simplistic in comparison to the new Eduard kit, still builds up to look like a decent IX. I’ve got the earlier box, however have taken quite a shine to other Air Forces since watching all these great MTO builds. I might have to track down one of these kits. 

Regarding the missing yellow outer roundel ring, have you considered painting a yellow circle to the correct dimensions, then applying the kit decals over the top? I know it’s a pain, however might work out OK. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Who hasn’t got one of these kits lurking somewhere in their stash? Good to see you tackle this kit as although it’s simplistic in comparison to the new Eduard kit, still builds up to look like a decent IX. I’ve got the earlier box, however have taken quite a shine to other Air Forces since watching all these great MTO builds. I might have to track down one of these kits. 

Regarding the missing yellow outer roundel ring, have you considered painting a yellow circle to the correct dimensions, then applying the kit decals over the top? I know it’s a pain, however might work out OK. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Yeah that is my backstop Dave,......hopefully I`ll find something suitable though! Yeah it is quite a simple kit but a great `clothes hangar' for a nice scheme and it looks the part. I made one of the first test shots for Airfix magazine in what seems like years ago! 

Cheers

Tony 

Shame the upper wing cannon bulges are not separate items and the cockpit is up to the same standard as their later XIX and Mk. 1a kits. This would be a great way to quickly grow a nice simple collection of IX’s and with a few minor tweaks a few of the other later Merlin powered Spits as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Shame the upper wing cannon bulges are not separate items and the cockpit is up to the same standard as their later XIX and Mk. 1a kits. This would be a great way to quickly grow a nice simple collection of IX’s and with a few minor tweaks a few of the other later Merlin powered Spits as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Agreed Dave. I`ve just been looking at the photo of the real aircraft again and have second thoughts about the fuselage roundel having a yellow outline,.... what do you think? The unit badge is yellow,....... and the `surround' to the roundel seems to match the fresh paint used to cover the RAF fin stripes,..... so maybe just fresh paint to cover the previous roundel? My only concern with this is that the original RAF roundel would not have been so big,....... I`d love to know what you or anybody else thinks? 

Cheers

Tony

My honest two cents opinion tony. I think its just overpainted. The original roundel for whatever reason shouldn't have been that big, but it sure seems like it was. Its not yellow with orthochromatic film or the squadron crest would be darker. I think i would just go with the standard French roundels without the surround.  

Dennis

• Like 1

I have to agree about the yellow badge not matching (what we first thought) to be the yellow roundel outline. I also agree that the size of RAF roundels would have been standardised by this stage of the war so it is a little on the large side. IMO, if it was a yellow outline applied to the French roundel it would have also been a little thinner and not as wide as what this photo indicates. I’m happy to agree that it’s a repaint of fresh paint but still quite puzzling all the same. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My honest two cents opinion tony. I think its just overpainted. The original roundel for whatever reason shouldn't have been that big, but it sure seems like it was. Its not yellow with orthochromatic film or the squadron crest would be darker. I think i would just go with the standard French roundels without the surround.  

Dennis

I think that I`m with you on that one Dennis mate,....... I`ve come to the same conclusion,...... it just puzzles me as to the size of whatever was overpainted behind the French roundel.

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I have to agree about the yellow badge not matching (what we first thought) to be the yellow roundel outline. I also agree that the size of RAF roundels would have been standardised by this stage of the war so it is a little on the large side. IMO, if it was a yellow outline applied to the French roundel it would have also been a little thinner and not as wide as what this photo indicates. I’m happy to agree that it’s a repaint of fresh paint but still quite puzzling all the same. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Agreed Dave,..... me too.

Hiya Folks,

I`ve got some more done on this one,...... the first coat of Polly Scale acrylic Dark Earth has been applied,..... unfortunately the paint is on its last legs and a little thick,....so I`ll experiment with thinners for the following coats;

42023737975_efc529da28_k.jpgDSCF4201 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

29052501828_477ef17c5e_k.jpgDSCF4202 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

You must be able to apply this typical Spitfire camouflage pattern with your eyes closed by now Tony!! Yet another cracker in the making here, but at this rapid pace I’m getting a little worried that your favourite paint stash will no longer be at your fingertips for much longer. Have you decided which way you’re gonna go? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 12:02 PM, tonyot said:

I`d love to know what you or anybody else thinks? 

I'm a bit late to the party sorry, but that was very much my first reaction. It also appears to me the Dark Earth in the photo does not agree with Airfix's diagram & maybe the "over paint" is more like a bulge in the shape of the DE camo portion?

Steve.

• Like 1

Bonjours Tonyot encore un très beau bouleau en perspective, je n'avais le MA574 mes dossiers, grâce à vous j'a pus l'y ajouter Merci pour Tout ce que vous venez de faire pour moi.

Pour en revenir à ce Spitfire il est peux probable qu'il est porté le schéma de camouflage "Desert" en septembre 1944, la 1 Escadre a déjà commencée à être équipée de Spitfire en Schéma Européen. Le Bleu des cocarde est correcte contrairement à celui des décalques fournis pour le Blenheim qui est beaucoup trop foncé, il ressemble à celui des cocardes actuellement posées sur les avions en service dans l'armée de l'Air

Good job boy continued

Gabriel

PS s vous ne les avez pas reçus je vous renverrais les informations complémentaires sr les Blenheim FAFL

I am sorry to write in french but my English is extremly bad

NEW INFO

J'avais déjè lze serial de cet avion mais j'ai regardé dans le mauvais fichier

MA574 33MZU 20.06.43 * 82MU 27.07.43 * SS732 xx.058.43 **CRAA Casablanca 18.08.1943 (French Unit) * NWA 01.10.1043 * 1ère Escadre (Sq.326 "Nice" * Sqn.327 "Corse " * Sqn.328 "Provence" ** SQN.328 FAF 31.10.1943 - XX.XX.XX * XX.XX.XX - Unkwow unit * 07.10.1944-02.12.1944 SQN.328 "Provence" crash landed after not possibility down wheels at 203.25 hours * Pilot RATEL Jean LTT (F/O) ?

STILL EXTREMELY DESOLED FOR my mistake ENGLISH

Gabriel

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gabriel Magnier said:

Bonjours Tonyot encore un très beau bouleau en perspective, je n'avais le MA574 mes dossiers, grâce à vous j'a pus l'y ajouter Merci pour Tout ce que vous venez de faire pour moi.

Pour en revenir à ce Spitfire il est peux probable qu'il est porté le schéma de camouflage "Desert" en septembre 1944, la 1 Escadre a déjà commencée à être équipée de Spitfire en Schéma Européen. Le Bleu des cocarde est correcte contrairement à celui des décalques fournis pour le Blenheim qui est beaucoup trop foncé, il ressemble à celui des cocardes actuellement posées sur les avions en service dans l'armée de l'Air

Good job boy continued

Gabriel

PS s vous ne les avez pas reçus je vous renverrais les informations complémentaires sr les Blenheim FAFL

I am sorry to write in french but my English is extremly bad

NEW INFO

J'avais déjè lze serial de cet avion mais j'ai regardé dans le mauvais fichier

MA574 33MZU 20.06.43 * 82MU 27.07.43 * SS732 xx.058.43 **CRAA Casablanca 18.08.1943 (French Unit) * NWA 01.10.1043 * 1ère Escadre (Sq.326 "Nice" * Sqn.327 "Corse " * Sqn.328 "Provence" ** SQN.328 FAF 31.10.1943 - XX.XX.XX * XX.XX.XX - Unkwow unit * 07.10.1944-02.12.1944 SQN.328 "Provence" crash landed after not possibility down wheels at 203.25 hours * Pilot RATEL Jean LTT (F/O) ?

STILL EXTREMELY DESOLED FOR my mistake ENGLISH

Gabriel

Thanks Gabriel.

As an Australian, my French is worse than my English!!

However, with the help of technology I will feed your words into a Google Translater so that I can read your comments.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Cheers for all your comments everybody,

Yes Dave,..... my stash of preferred colours is rapidly dwindling mate,....  but best to use them before they dry up I suppose!! 

Steve,,,, yes I think that it is either fresh DE or even USAAF OD,..... I`m going for fresh DE.

Gabriel and FalkeEins,... thans for the info,...... I agree that most desert camouflaged Spitfire`s had been repainted or were no longer in front line service by 1944 but there were still a few around and as it was in French service,..... then this may also be a reason for the older scheme still being still applied. When I first saw the colour details in the kit I thought that it might be a mistake,..... but the photo definitely shows a desert pattern,..... and convinced me to build the model in this scheme.

Anyway,.... I`ve got the basic scheme applied now including the Azure Blue undersides;

42943872751_0eb431c2eb_z.jpgDSCF4222 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Hiya Folks,

Did a bit more on this one today,.....painted on the discs behind the roundels using a darker, fresher Dark Earth but although it looked OK while wet,.... it has dried lighter,.... so I`ll have another go tomorrow!

42071749135_cbfe296d57_k.jpgDSCF4280 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28104591417_5472688d29_k.jpgDSCF4279 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,.... I got around to applying the decals to the model,...... with the fuselage roundel applied on top of a disc of Polly Scale RAAF Earth Brown to simulate fresh paint covering the previous roundel;

DSCF4472_NEWDSCF4471_NEWDSCF4470_NEW

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 5

Hi Tony, you are fast, another nice kit. As usual  unique and original markings.   I assume that you have a big house to keep all your models in. 😁

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Franz75 said:

Hi Tony, you are fast, another nice kit. As usual  unique and original markings.   I assume that you have a big house to keep all your models in. 😁

Thanks Franz,..... I wish that I did have a big house mate,..... but no,..... I live in a small 2 up, 2 down terrace which is bursting at the seams!!! I have run out of room and will have to have a massive sort out soon!

Cheers

Tony