Airfix 1/48th Hurricane Mk.I, 261 Sqn, Malta 1940......FINISHED!!!!

Hiya Folks,

Well I would start a Malta Hurricane in 1/72nd scale wouldn`t I,..... because I want to build another now,..... but this time in 1/48th scale using the superb Airfix kit. I have had a particular Hurricane in mind for quite a few years now, but wasn`t sure of the serial,...... but now I`m pretty sure that it is N2622,.... and wearing the code N,.... so as it ticks all the boxes with a large fuselage roundel, full fin stripes, black and white lower wings and rear fuselage with silver Vokes vilter and also a code letter,..... it would be rude not to and there is now nothing to stop me now! A photo can be seen on page 71 of the latest Flypast magazine (July 2018).  Here is a rather poor copy of the photo;

42735436881_361667932f.jpg25- Hurricane N, BLACK WING_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Here is the box art;

42685896582_1c35181bff_k.jpgDSCF4111 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And the parts;

42685895682_3a350f2e99_k.jpgDSCF4112 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40924938190_96bb4dd697_k.jpgDSCF4113 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I`ve started to pre paint the parts on the sprues;

42685891072_2e9806c676_k.jpgDSCF4119 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42685890022_1a6da29d9b_k.jpgDSCF4120 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Hiya Folks,

Here is another quick update;

The cockpit interior fitted to the wings along with the spars and undercarriage bay,..... plus I have opened up one of the gun bays in the wing;

28919218348_81103b43e8_k.jpgDSCF4140 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27923781647_7d038472aa_k.jpgDSCF4141 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42792841871_5bcb22eb46_k.jpgDSCF4142 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And the wings and fuselage assembled and ready to be joined together;

42792841291_f904749b4c_k.jpgDSCF4144 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Nice choice Tony. I recall that you sent me that pic when we last conversed about Operation Hurry Hurricanes. The black / white undersides and silver filter were stand out attractions, however it could not be considered as a model choice due to the lack of known serial. It’s great that you’ve now found this out and I now look forward to seeing you portray this particular aircraft in model form. Great choice. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,........ wow Dave that is going back a bit isn`t it!

Right,.... a bit more progress,...... I got the model together yesterday and sanded it,...... filler was applied to some sink marks above the tailplane root and also along the seam lines just for safety;

40999660150_6815dcbcf6_k.jpgDSCF4148 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And after sanding,....

27941575807_ba43a7e960_k.jpgDSCF4154 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The first coats of Polly Scale acrylic Dark Earth were applied last night,.... photos to follow,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 3

Hiya Folks,

The model has received a couple more coats of Dark Green;

42114385214_f75dcfbdcd_k.jpgDSCF4169 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42783586782_144679bc45_k.jpgDSCF4171 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Now onto the black and white undersides with silver Vokes filter,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

I’m loosing count of all these latest MTO builds Tony, however they are all looking great. I’ll also repeat my comments regarding the exquisite flowing brushwork to create all these camouflage patterns - it’s most impressive. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Cheers lads,..... I got the black, white and silver undersides painted during the evening while watching Rocky II,...... so hopefully the gloss varnish will go on Sunday!

All the best

Tony 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,..... well I got the gloss varnish on last night;

41951314245_93d6c69ccf_k.jpgDSCF4176 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here are the undersides too;

42134002774_c2dbff3417_k.jpgDSCF4177 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

So now to sort out some decals,...... especially the serial, code `N' and large fuselage roundel which will hopefully come from the spares box!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

Thanks for showing the underside Tony.

Now I would have just painted the filter silver and not the lower cowling, so am really glad that you've taken the plunge and painted your's first. Mine is still just another 'virtual' Rabbit Leader build buried somewhere inside this overloaded head. I'll get there one day. 

Cheers.. and looking terrific (as usual).. Dave 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks for showing the underside Tony.

Now I would have just painted the filter silver and not the lower cowling, so am really glad that you've taken the plunge and painted your's first. Mine is still just another 'virtual' Rabbit Leader build buried somewhere inside this overloaded head. I'll get there one day. 

Cheers.. and looking terrific (as usual).. Dave 

Cheers Dave,..... I just went with the ref photo for the silver under nose cowling,..... if it had been the original underside colour it would have shown up as black,.... but it definitely matches the filter colour. I`m pretty sure that the vokes filter was an integral part of this under nose panel?  

All the best

Tony

4 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Dave,..... I just went with the ref photo for the silver under nose cowling,..... if it had been the original underside colour it would have shown up as black,.... but it definitely matches the filter colour. I`m pretty sure that the vokes filter was an integral part of this under nose panel?  

All the best

Tony

Yep - it's amazing what a 2nd pair of eyes can see. I don't know why I thought this however it's pretty obvious once you look a little closer. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Tony do you mind if I ask how and what you use to paint and finish your models? 

No worries,..... I use various paints, enamels and arylics and apply them by brush,..... although for some colours such as white, yellow, red, silver I will use rattle cans over a large area to get a better coverage.

On this aircraft I used Polly Scale acrylic Dark Earth and Dark Green with rattle can Humbrol matt white and thinned Vallejo 169 Black with Humbrol Metalcote enamel Polished Aluminium.

As for how I apply the paint,....I hope that this helps;

I don`t own an airbrush, so it is down to years of trial and error with my trusty brushes,.... although for some colours like yellow, red, white and silver I will use a rattle can for an overall colour as brush painting these colours over a large area is just awful! Here are some tips that I can pass on if it helps;

- Brushes,...... I use fine artists brushes and find that when covering larger areas a wide flat brush does the trick better as it is quicker to fill them in and uses less paint.

- Paints,.....I use various paints,....acrylics and enamels but prefer the old Polly Scale and Aeromaster acrylics,....however my stock is rapidly running down. I don`t generally thin my paints,....but when using Tamiya paints I find that mixing it with flow enhancer helps,....Vallejo 73.524 Thinner Medium is the one which works best.

- Method,...... I try to apply as little amount of paint as possible and find it easier to sand each coat and then apply another on top,....building the layers up rather than slopping it on. It usually takes 2-3 coats to get a decent finish and for the last one it is more of a dry brush application, scuffing the colour on. This scuffing also helps to flatten any brush marks from earlier coats and a final light sanding and buffing helps to flatten the paint again.

- Varnish,.... I always apply a coat of Humbrol 35 Gloss Varnish (from the large tins,....not the bottles or small tinlets) as this helps to level the paint again and provides a good basis for the decals. Another coat of gloss seals the decals into place and then the matt varnish,.... whichever one I can get,..... is applied in the same way as the paint layers,...... a final dry brushing/scuffing of the varnish helps to remove any brush marks. 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You need to pin this post under the paint section Tony. If only you received a pound for every time this was asked... it’s always good to read all the same. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

No worries,..... I use various paints, enamels and arylics and apply them by brush,..... although for some colours such as white, yellow, red, silver I will use rattle cans over a large area to get a better coverage.

On this aircraft I used Polly Scale acrylic Dark Earth and Dark Green with rattle can Humbrol matt white and thinned Vallejo 169 Black with Humbrol Metalcote enamel Polished Aluminium.

As for how I apply the paint,....I hope that this helps;

I don`t own an airbrush, so it is down to years of trial and error with my trusty brushes,.... although for some colours like yellow, red, white and silver I will use a rattle can for an overall colour as brush painting these colours over a large area is just awful! Here are some tips that I can pass on if it helps;

- Brushes,...... I use fine artists brushes and find that when covering larger areas a wide flat brush does the trick better as it is quicker to fill them in and uses less paint.

- Paints,.....I use various paints,....acrylics and enamels but prefer the old Polly Scale and Aeromaster acrylics,....however my stock is rapidly running down. I don`t generally thin my paints,....but when using Tamiya paints I find that mixing it with flow enhancer helps,....Vallejo 73.524 Thinner Medium is the one which works best.

- Method,...... I try to apply as little amount of paint as possible and find it easier to sand each coat and then apply another on top,....building the layers up rather than slopping it on. It usually takes 2-3 coats to get a decent finish and for the last one it is more of a dry brush application, scuffing the colour on. This scuffing also helps to flatten any brush marks from earlier coats and a final light sanding and buffing helps to flatten the paint again.

- Varnish,.... I always apply a coat of Humbrol 35 Gloss Varnish (from the large tins,....not the bottles or small tinlets) as this helps to level the paint again and provides a good basis for the decals. Another coat of gloss seals the decals into place and then the matt varnish,.... whichever one I can get,..... is applied in the same way as the paint layers,...... a final dry brushing/scuffing of the varnish helps to remove any brush marks. 

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony appreciate it 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Well I got the decals on today,.......apart from the upper wing roundels most others are after market or from the spares box,...... the fuselage roundels and fin flashes coming from Xtradecal set `X48147 Battle of Britain 75th AnniversaryRAF National Markings'.

29030930358_30375688c0_k.jpgDSCF4194 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41092957010_9291163eaf_k.jpgDSCF4193 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41092956520_252d028ec5_k.jpgDSCF4195 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

This is the stage I like seeing most, all glossed up and stickered - like a well dressed woman with a hint of make-up on!! Then we decide to throw dirt at her, take a few paint chips off and apply a Matt coat to dull all her the enthusiasm down.  It's a good thing I like building aerobatic aircraft as well. 

Seriously Tony, this newly researched Hurricane looks lovely and thanks for advising where we can obtain those large fuselage roundels from - not an easy thing to source. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This is the stage I like seeing most, all glossed up and stickered - like a well dressed woman with a hint of make-up on!! Then we decide to throw dirt at her, take a few paint chips off and apply a Matt coat to dull all her the enthusiasm down.  It's a good thing I like building aerobatic aircraft as well. 

Seriously Tony, this newly researched Hurricane looks lovely and thanks for advising where we can obtain those large fuselage roundels from - not an easy thing to source. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Thanks Dave,...... yes  I like this stage too and love your comparison mate! I like to look at them like this for a few days before defacing the model!

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,

I brushed on a coat of Polly Scale acrylic matt varnish to dull the glossy paintwork down, then applied a watercolour wash to accentuate the panel lines and dirty up the paintwork a little;

29052501398_45b87596ed_k.jpgDSCF4204 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

When the excess wash was rubbed away using a piece of lightly dampened kitchen roll some MiG pigment powders was applied to replicate some exhaust staining;

42023736845_17f866a0ed_k.jpgDSCF4209 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42875873392_8c63076d2c_k.jpgDSCF4210 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 7

Viewing this on a larger desktop and this build appears to be yet another gem in the making Tony.

It really looks like a lovely kit and the more I see these 1/48 Hurricanes, the more I want to make a start on mine. 

Cheers... Dave

• Like 1

Cheers Dave,

I have got quite a bit done on this one today and have almost finished it. One of the puzzling elements of this kit is that Airfix neglected to add a rear view mirror for the windscreen,..... so having scratch built some in the past,.... this time I opted to use one from a set of three resin items from Quickboost,..... but I swiftly lost part of one to the carpet monster!! I`m adding a harness too from an old Re Heat etched set,.... which I noticed also includes some rear view mirrors on it!

Here is the set, ready to fit one of the rear view mirrors onto the model,.

42943873301_fc0b4e9783_k.jpgDSCF4220 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3