Corsair - Richmond, November 1981

Hi all,

Well, I should have known better than to take a trip to the U.S. in November..... it rained and rained ....... Nevertheless, my mate John and I did get around the bases, taking a route from New York-Long Island-New Jersey-Delaware-Maryland-Virginia-D.C. and back. As always I had written off in advance, but for some bases wee just tried it on and asked at the gate. Richmond was one such place.  Sadness number one - the Thuds had gone (I knew it but added this for sympathy ;) ) and Sadness number two - I hadn't realised but my OM1n's battery was starting to pack in and so almost all my shots from that trip were gashed! :(. What follows are two of the A-7Ds at R.E. Byrd field operated by the 149th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Virginia Air National Guard. The base was also host to huge numbers of U.S. Army REserve /Army National Guard rotorcraft. Here goes:

RIC2

RIC3

I hope you like them.

Martin

• Like 6

21 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice, those paint jobs look fairly fresh, or is it just the rain giving them a spruce up?  Either way, they look really smart.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

i guess that is because they had not long arrived with the unit and had undergone IRAN? 

Martin

• Thanks 1

Significant, but I haven't mentioned it yet, was that the 149th was the operator of 62-4414 “Ridge Runner” :). It did actually get to the UK in 1976 as part of a Coronet deployment - I missed her then too! :(

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner