Blackburn Beverley

Ray S

Hello all, I am currently having great fun with the MikroMir Blackburn Beverley. It has gone together really well so far (except the engine nacelles), but I have a query.

The markings for an Aden-based aircraft are described as Dark Earth and Light Stone. That equates to Humbrol 29 and 121 (no manufacturer paint references are given), so are these pretty close (not too worried about accuracy but would like to be in the right ball-park).

The kit itself is great, and I never thought I would be able to buy an injection moulded one. I am looking forward to getting the Argosy, and hope they finish the Hastings sometime soon too.

I hope you can help with the colours,

All the best everyone,

Ray

Him Ray 

I have just looked at the British Standards paint reference charts  Dark Earth is BS381c 350  and Light Stone is BS381c 361  at one time Hannants did them in the Xtracolour range and still might do them

Geoff Arnold

Telford IPMS

Yes,  Hannants do them in both enamels and acrylic. The Light Stone is in the armour range rather than aircraft if you use acrylics. 

1 hour ago, Geoff Arnold said:

Him Ray 

I have just looked at the British Standards paint reference charts  Dark Earth is BS381c 350  and Light Stone is BS381c 361  at one time Hannants did them in the Xtracolour range and still might do them

Geoff Arnold

Telford IPMS

51 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Yes,  Hannants do them in both enamels and acrylic. The Light Stone is in the armour range rather than aircraft if you use acrylics. 

Thanks both for the information!

Kind regards,

Ray

I bought this kit for my dads birthday last year as he flew in them with 30 squadron during the mid '60's

It's a really nice kit, and tempted to get one for myself too.

Would be great to see your build log too

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I bought this kit for my dads birthday last year as he flew in them with 30 squadron during the mid '60's

It's a really nice kit, and tempted to get one for myself too.

Would be great to see your build log too

Mikey, That is a great reason to get one!

The build is too far gone now to show a WIP, but it will hopefully go into Ready for inspection when done. It has been a great experience so far, with the minor exception of the canopies. I am going with the Humbrol 121 Light Stone and 29 Dark Earth camouflage colours, but if anyone can correct the Light Stone bit before I put the transfers on, it can easily be adjusted.

Go on, treat yourself - but remember to put a lot of weight into it! I could not get enough under the cargo floor, so built a wooden packing crate (from plastic card) and put a load of weight into that! Instant cargo, then glued shut the cargo doors, but I know it is there!

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ray,

Please be aware of the decal sheet's  inaccuracies before you apply them!  If you are doing a camouflaged machine for a start 'MIDDLE EAST' is mispelt and here are all the errors. You may wish to source some after-market decals?

42722198552_1eae8142df_b.jpg

Edited by AMB
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AMB said:

Ray,

Please be aware of the decal sheet's  inaccuracies before you apply them!  If you are doing a camouflaged machine for a start 'MIDDLE EAST' is mispelt and here are all the errors. You may wish to source some after-market decals?

42722198552_1eae8142df_b.jpg

Crumbs! I know I am an inveterate mistake-spotterer (even though I make plenty myself so do not tend to highlight it!) but I missed those! Especially the Midle East one. I am doing the 84 Sqn version. I have seen some reviews of this which also suggest that the red/white/blue roundels are too light for the blue part. I have some aftermarket sheets, so will have a look for the mis-spelt part and roundels.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Xtradecal, are you watching? A good topic for you to pick up on here methinks!

All the best,

Ray

22 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Mikey, That is a great reason to get one!

The build is too far gone now to show a WIP, but it will hopefully go into Ready for inspection when done. It has been a great experience so far, with the minor exception of the canopies. I am going with the Humbrol 121 Light Stone and 29 Dark Earth camouflage colours, but if anyone can correct the Light Stone bit before I put the transfers on, it can easily be adjusted.

Go on, treat yourself - but remember to put a lot of weight into it! I could not get enough under the cargo floor, so built a wooden packing crate (from plastic card) and put a load of weight into that! Instant cargo, then glued shut the cargo doors, but I know it is there!

All the best,

Ray

I am very tempted,

With regards to the paint coding - I stumbled across this post by Mikr Mir back in 2015 - it may help?

7 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I am very tempted,

With regards to the paint coding - I stumbled across this post by Mikr Mir back in 2015 - it may help?

Ah, Middle Stone rather than Light Stone - Humbrol 225 and I have got it!

Thanks for helping clear that up - and just to show I do make mistakes, I had read every post in that thread link but it had not stuck in my brain-box!

Cheers,

Ray

I'm certainly not infallible either, but thankfully I can quote Colin Ovens on the subject: the colours are Dark Earth BS381C:450 and Light Stone BS381C:361.  This is from his  Airlift Force: RAF Transport Command 1948-1967, from Guideline Publications.  I'm sure others can chime in with confirmation, from other sources.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I'm certainly not infallible either, but thankfully I can quote Colin Ovens on the subject: the colours are Dark Earth BS381C:450 and Light Stone BS381C:361.  This is from his  Airlift Force: RAF Transport Command 1948-1967, from Guideline Publications.  I'm sure others can chime in with confirmation, from other sources.

Cheers Graham for that, looks like the instructions were right after all!

On 6/11/2018 at 2:52 PM, Geoff Arnold said:

Him Ray 

Geoff Arnold

Telford IPMS

On 6/11/2018 at 3:06 PM, Mr T said:

The Light Stone in the Xtra acrylic and enamel ranges looks a darker and more yellow colour than the Humbrol Light Stone on the computer screen, more like the Middle Stone humbrol 225 that I have. I will try that and I will see what happens.

Many thanks again for your input, it is really appreciated everyone.

Ray

There are colour photos that make the aircraft appear to be in the more intense colour - but others that don't.  Having tried many years ago to paint the original Airfix Hercules with Humbrol Middle Stone, I can only say that it looked wrong.  Light Stone wasn't available then, so it ended up in something indeterminate.

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There are colour photos that make the aircraft appear to be in the more intense colour - but others that don't.  Having tried many years ago to paint the original Airfix Hercules with Humbrol Middle Stone, I can only say that it looked wrong.  Light Stone wasn't available then, so it ended up in something indeterminate.

Hello Graham, after I originally saw your post, I had a good look at online images, and see what you mean! The darker colour is the type I had in my mind when I started this, and the Light Stone looked too pale, but as you have said, the images show both.

I had painted the Light Stone first on the Beverley, then added the first coat of Dark Earth and it looked good, but 'wrong' if you know what I mean due to my preconceived ideas and potentially false memories. Then after the discussion earlier in the thread I recoated the Light Stone with Middle Stone, and that looked even wronger (more wrong). The next step is to go into town tomorrow morning and get some more white primer and start again with Light Stone and Dark Earth, as MikroMir suggested and was backed up by you and Geoff Arnold earlier on.

Thanks again,

Ray

PS, my dad has some photographic slides of the Beverley which I must have a look at...