Dominican Republic deHavilland Vampire FB.50

Wez

Hi folks, having recently acquired Special Hobby's 1/72 Vampire Mk.1, in my typically obtuse nature I decided I didn't want to do either the Swiss or Swedish schemes the kit comes with and ordered Aztec's sheet 72-041 for Mexican and Dominican Vampires.

One of the subjects is a Dominican FB.50 acquired from the Swedish, it retained the Swedish green and blue colour scheme but the Dominican national and squadron markings are quite attractive.

The thing is, the FB.50 is shown with a later, rounded fin used from the Mk.3 Vampires onwards. If the option was an FB.52 (Mk.5 based airframe), I would be happy with this but as an FB.50 it should retain the earlier, square fins.

Being away from my references, I resorted to Mr Google and it clearly shows Dominican Vampires with square fins in the markings provided by Aztec.

My question is does anyone know whether Dominican Vampire serial number 2741 was an FB.50 or a 52?

As an FB.50 it would be an interesting subject as it features the later Mk.5 wingtips which the Swedish fitted to improve the aircraft's G-rating.

Hello Wez

I am sorry to disappoint you, but 2741 was J.28B (FB.5). Dominican Republic bought 25 J.28A (F.1) Vampires from Sweden and serial numbers of this type started with 2701. I could not find a photo of 2741, but take a look at this blog in Swedish with plenty of photos and useful data.

I have the same kit for some time and years ago I have been thinking along the same lines as you have. Not happy with what was on offer on the market at the time I made my own decals. Of course, less radical solution would be to change the order of the last two digits of the serial number, as 2714 definitely was J.28A with square tail and cropped wings. Cheers

Jure

P.S.: There actually is a photo of 2741 in the blog (scroll down). Apparently now she is serving as a gate guard.

Edited by Jure Miljevic
P.S. added
  • Thanks 1

Jure,

Many thanks for replying but it seems that all hope is not lost, just need to find a clear picture of 2714 with the appropriate unit markings and I'll be a happy bunny!

Best of luck with your search, Wez, and if you find such a photo of 2714, or any other number for that matter, please do post a link. The best I could do were photos of 2717 here on ACIG forum and of 2701 in a book or magazine which I am not able to locate any more. Cheers

Jure