1/48 - WWII Link Trainer resin kit by Aircraft in Miniature Ltd (AiM) - released

Homebee

That's a neat idea!

We used to have one of those in our museum. Quite an impressive piece of kit for it's time. Is the one at the Manston museum still working? I went there in the late 90s with Sqdn Ldr Gerald Scott (Lysander, Hurricane IID, Mustang III), and for £1.50, he was able to have ago in the Link trainer. Much to his amusement, he crashed and burned the thing!

Steve

On 6/11/2018 at 1:41 PM, Mancunian airman said:

Looked at the Link but Hannants say its not available ? 

Hannants took the 1/72 kit down a month ago because they were all supplied without the cockpit cover.

Hopefully they'll be available again once the missing part has been produced. @tnuag?

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

93229-004-46FBAAB5.jpg481531_zoom.jpg

When my 1/48 version came in, I realized that - for the classic Link Trainer - it had to be in prewar USAAC blue fuselage, yellow wings and tail, and red-white stripes on the

rudder (with blue vertical at the hinge).   Where, oh where, to get the red-white stripes?  The closest thing was an old Microscale 1/72 sheet from (gasp) 1968...yeah, probably a bit long in the tooth.  And for something that small, masking the stripes for painting has serious pitfalls.  The solution came from a chance browse through the Microscale catalog:  sheet 48-1531 in their model railroad line, (U.S.) Union Pacific flag shields.  One size of the shields provides the perfect size of stripes, just cut to shape and apply (and add the blue vertical stripe).

Edited by jimmaas
spelling

Thanks for posting that! A recent Hannants email listed the 1/48 version, which I'm very interested in. Google confirms your color observations. Thanks also for identifying a creative source of those tail stripes!