1/72 Special Hobby Piaggio P.108

Special Hobby is a bit harder to work with but this model is despite its complexity with resin parts, no location pins etc is actually very easy to build. One should study instruction sheet and online  build logs, dry fit a lot and the build will be enjoyable. Great plus for this model is phenomenal transparent parts and very quality decal sheets. Downside of the model is some mould marks on some parts of the tail surfaces, as well as uncomplete moulding on several cowling halves (luckily there is enough cowlings for 8 engines, so no worries). For painting, I use STORMO site and forum for references.  Kit represents famous MM2003 from 274. squadriglia on which Bruno Mussolinni died.

piaggiop108_01.jpg?w=868&h=&zoom=2

piaggiop108_02.jpg?w=868&h=&zoom=2

piaggiop108_03.jpg?w=1250&h=

piaggiop108_04.jpg?w=1250&h=

piaggiop108_06.jpg?w=1250&h=

piaggiop108_09.jpg?w=1250&h=

piaggiop108_13.jpg?w=1250&h=

piaggiop108_18.jpg?w=1250&h=

Painting is done with H&S Evolution airbrush in the following steps:

Base color was Humbrol 81 Pale yellow matt as Giallo Mimetico 2-3

wip_piaggio_25.jpg?w=772&h=&zoom=2

Then, a mix of Gunze H7 and H17 to represent Marrone Mimetico 53193 was spreyed in the following pattern:

wip_piaggio_28.jpg?w=1250&h=

Then, at the end I believe it was Gunze H302 as Verde Mimetico 2

wip_piaggio_32.jpg?w=1250&h=

Later, I used Tamiya gloss and Tamiya flat base for the final clear coats.

• Like 53
  • Thanks 2

Very nice build and a very handsome multi. Wish I had gotten one when they were first released- especially the anti-shipping version. As the others have said, great job on the camouflage!

Mike

I started to look at the completed model pictures and, awestruck at the paintwork, wondered just how you did it.

Thankfully you showed how later on. 

I'm still amazed at the complexity of the scheme and how you made it look so good.

Brilliant job. 

The whole model looks stunning.

As i already said at MaketarskiKutak, this is what i was waiting for long time to see:penguin:! Amazingly well made model and paint job is just BEAUTIFUL!:worthy:

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your comments, I am glad you like it.

21 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wish I had gotten one when they were first released- especially the anti-shipping version.

Not sure which was anti-shipping version, maybe in Flying Machine boxing since the other Special Hobby box is night bomber and captured with US markings. Good thing is that in the kit you get parts for all variants.

12 hours ago, Silenoz said:

an aircraft that one doesn't see often....

I agree, unfortuanately modellers don't build it often which is a pity. 

13 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

amazed at the complexity of the scheme

I was attracted to this scheme right away. I used 0,2mm needle, and Gunze colors with Leveling Thinner.

You've just gotta love Italian camo patterns!  And this one's so well done.  Nice job all round :thumbsup:

Indeed I do, love Italian colors, it is a bit of a challenge but result is always great. Sometimes it is hard to find matching colors in Gunze or Tamiya range for precision spraying.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lanmi said:

Indeed I do, love Italian colors, it is a bit of a challenge but result is always great. Sometimes it is hard to find matching colors in Gunze or Tamiya range for precision spraying.

Here is a link to the anti-shipping version that was released by Special Hobby.

Mike

http://kits.kitreview.com/sh72065reviewgp_1.htm