Harrier GR3 - Airfix 1/24

I haden't intended to start another kit, until I was done with the Buccaneer, but sometimes things happen in other ways than planned.

I was on weekend build meet (summer camp) and had brought the Bucc, but somehow I managed to forget the box with all the small parts.

I've already made a deal with one of the other participants that I'd buy his Harrier, which he brought along.

So with nothing else to build, I've saw an opportunity to start building this one instead.

28839692498_cb1c2bf33c_b.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the contents, as I started building pretty much right away.

For reasons explained in a bit, I started building the engine, instead of the cockpit.

28839691968_0356b69ebe_b.jpg

Need some paint on before I can continue there.

Some pieces to the engine room/wheel bay.

28839691848_434831184e_b.jpg

Here's the tub, seat and pilot. 

28839692058_93a9fc6863_b.jpg

Pretty nice pilot, but that's pretty much it all!

27844640307_237bdfbeb6_b.jpg

The seat looks like a resized old 72nd kit seat, and needs som work to look somewhat closer to the real thing (with or without pilot).

I decided to continue assemble parts, getting them more or less ready for paint or detailing, once I got access to something better than my android to check for reference pics.

Exhaust ducts.

28839692338_8f42b9f8ed_b.jpg

Something to tuck under the wings.

28839692268_26449dd65a_b.jpg

There was a few more things done, but I will get to them in another post.

Could be a pretty fast build, built ootb, but a kit this big calls for some extra detail.

I have a complete Flight Path set, but won't be using it for this kit. 

Håkan

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, planehazza said:

This bring back memories. I spent all my birthday money on this kit when I was about 10, 21 years ago! I never finished it of course, as by the time I'd built half of it I'd moved on to something else ha.

Don't you worry about that, at 55 I still use to do the same thing !!

Around 30 kits on the go at the same time...

It's an Anti boring way to go ! :rofl2:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

Hello Häkan !

Well done !

May be using the flightpath kit as an inspiration for detailing this one ??

Good start however, nicely done !

I'll tag along for the ride !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Don't you worry about that, at 55 I still use to do the same thing !!

It's an Anti boring way to go ! :rofl2:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Wish I could do that, but at the same time I'm glad I don't.  I don't have the space as I'm modelling from a small desk in the corner of the spare bedroom; space and dust are a nightmare. It's so bad that I'm thinking I'll probably put the hobby on hold again until I have a better work area in the next house.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, planehazza said:

Wish I could do that, but at the same time I'm glad I don't.  I don't have the space as I'm modelling from a small desk in the corner of the spare bedroom; space and dust are a nightmare. It's so bad that I'm thinking I'll probably put the hobby on hold again until I have a better work area in the next house.

Oh No ! Don't stop, for this while,  I'm working on the kitchen table, so I move my stuff every now and then !

I will make my man cave on the attic, but I can't stay far from modelling for such a long term !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Thanks planehazza and CC! :)

Yeah the flightpath kit could be useful as inspiration, and I'm thinking of making copies of some parts.

I found a few very nice builds too as inspiration.

Håkan

• Like 3

Thanks Roger and Matt! :)

Yes, the pilot looks very nice compared to the cockpit and some other parts. The engine looks pretty nice too.

Will try to put the rest of the kit up to par with the pilot!

Håkan

• Like 3

On 11/06/2018 at 09:52, Azgaron said:

Thanks planehazza and CC! :)

Yeah the flightpath kit could be useful as inspiration, and I'm thinking of making copies of some parts.

I found a few very nice builds too as inspiration.

Håkan

Making Copies aye?  Sounds like something to keep an eye on!

Perhaps you could sell your unofficial copies back to us, for less than we can get the originals made!

David Parkins,

Flightpath

Edited by DJPFlightpath
further explanation
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Thanks guys! :)

@djparkins Would be nice huh? :)

So far casting with blue stuff and white milliput, haven't gone so well. It was hard to get all the details, and for some reason I got the mix wrong, and it turned out "rubbery".

Want to modify the seat cushions and wheels to look the way I want. How it turns out, the future have to tell! :)

Håkan

• Like 3

Not much done, but here's a small update.

There seems to be a thin cushion on top of the backrest, and here's my take on replicating that.

42824531642_6f57d2105b_b.jpg

I guess most of it won't be seen as I'll use the pilot.

Next will be minor mods to the seat cushion, and then I'll remake the seat, or build a new, somehow. 

Håkan

• Like 4

Thanks Planehazza! :)

No, not yet. Will be soon I hope.

I've been sitting too much at the computer, checking pics and playing games! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 11:36 AM, Azgaron said:

There seems to be a thin cushion on top of the backrest, and here's my take on replicating that.

42824531642_6f57d2105b_b.jpg

Thats neat. Decided to follow this as I dont usually follow very large scale, but I like the look of this.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:21 AM, corsaircorp said:

Phew, at last someone who has many builds going like me, although I don't think I have 30 ....................... yet!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Terry! Glad you liked it! :)

Trying consiously (hard to do unconsiously, I guess) to bring down the number of ongoing builds.

At the moment it's only? four, not counting the countless models sitting on the shelf of doom in various states of half done to nearly finished.

I usually have one folder for each build on the computer, and at one time (several years ago) I counted 100 folders!

After some examination, it turned out I decided to start building a certain kit, opened the box, took pics and made a folder, but never really started building, as I was busy with other projects.

All those kits got tucked back in their boxes, and returned to the stash, and the folders was deleted, which drastically minimized the number of builds and folders! :)

I think the number of kits on the shelf of doom exceeds 30 though! :D

Since I decided to focus on one or a few kits, I actually got a higher rate of finished kits!

Håkan

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Thanks Terry! Glad you liked it! :)

Trying consiously (hard to do unconsiously, I guess) to bring down the number of ongoing builds.

At the moment it's only? four, not counting the countless models sitting on the shelf of doom in various states of half done to nearly finished.

I usually have one folder for each build on the computer, and at one time (several years ago) I counted 100 folders!

After some examination, it turned out I decided to start building a certain kit, opened the box, took pics and made a folder, but never really started building, as I was busy with other projects.

All those kits got tucked back in their boxes, and returned to the stash, and the folders was deleted, which drastically minimized the number of builds and folders! :)

I think the number of kits on the shelf of doom exceeds 30 though! :D

Since I decided to focus on one or a few kits, I actually got a higher rate of finished kits!

Håkan

Don't you worry Häkan,

You'll never walk alone !! Perfect day to sing that song !

I stopped the electronic folder long ago, but I must keep a record of what has been done and why !!

'til today I know almost what I have, the record on the computer is around 930 entries, and I just buy a resin kit twice !!

Sometimes I have a look at my files before ordering !

But I did'nt a Shelf of doom, it's more a waiting room even if the A-10 is waiting since 1988....

Good job on your seat, keep carry on !

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thats neat. Decided to follow this as I dont usually follow very large scale, but I like the look of this.

Phew, at last someone who has many builds going like me, although I don't think I have 30 ....................... yet!

Terry

Again, You'll never walk alone, @Christer A at least is also a serial starter… but Shhhht !!

Someday, I'll count my WiP, knowing that all my started kits are not WiPed and some threads represent 2,3 or more builds !!

Modelling is supposed to be fun, so I have fun !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Serial Kit-starter, that's me!

Even though i have 3-4 active builds an at least 20 on the shelf of doom (or is it the cupboard of shame?) I'm still thinking in starting a little summer project.

Just a little Valom kit.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 3

Thanks CC! :)

Yeah, having fun should be prio one, and it still is, but I felt at some point, having a very low rate of finished kits, while the unfinished ones piled up on each other, was no fun.

Focusing on one or just a few kits, have helped bringing up the finished rate. The plastic summer camp, Christer and I attended, where we spent a weekend building having fun, also helped, as is being part of a friendly community like this and our Swedish counterpart.

Famous last words @Christer A! ;)

Actually I will join a bomber command group build that starts next month. If I refrain from falling into the AMS trap, I can build either of the possible kits within the timeframe.

I haven't decided which one to build yet. My options are, Short Stirling, Canberra, and Victor.

Håkan

• Like 1