what filler is quick and smoothable with water but water resistant when cured ?

Merlin

Hi,

small gap to fill 0.5mm x 1cm for example, in a 90 degree curving bend, so a swine to get into and rub down flush afterwards.

Milliput my fav filler but the fiddling around getting sticks out, cutting off equal portions, kneading them together, putting sticks back to box sealings ends over etc, then rolling into fine sausage, then cutting and applying with filler tool, wetting and refining, removing excess, more refining, then wait 30 mins or more to set solid, usually an hour I allow.

I need something out of a tube or pot I can lay into that gap, smooth into place with wettened cloth, or finger, edges get feathered during that process, minimal rubbing down afterwards, job done.

Nothing that will try and stick to tool as its being applied.

Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty washes away with water after its cured, so forget that.

Any suggestions ?

Merlin

I think that Vallejo putty in the fine applicator is water proof when dry, as it's acrylic resin with (again, I think) porcelain dust suspended in it.  You can apply it to narrow gaps in awkward places, then smooth it with a finger or cotton bud.

• Like 2

My preferred filler for that job would be either Mr Surfacer 500 or MRP's Mr Filler. Both of which can be smoothed out with a cotton bud soaked in some Mr Color thinner or IPA

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I think that Vallejo putty in the fine applicator is water proof when dry, as it's acrylic resin with (again, I think) porcelain dust suspended in it.  You can apply it to narrow gaps in awkward places, then smooth it with a finger or cotton bud.

Mine wasn't; it was water soluble even when dry

I bought a bottle of Vallejo Putty and added some 'Klear' to it. It thinned it a bit but also made it faster drying and water resistant when dry

>>I've also added 'Klear' to Games Workshop 'Liquid Green Stuff' - again it thinned it a bit but made it water resistant when dry

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

How about perfect plastic putty from Ultimate Modelling Products. I use it alot and it's water based and water resistant when dry.

James

Edited by franky boy

There is no perfect answer to your question Merlin. No "magical" way Plus no one filler for every

occasion.

You do not say which is the depth and width & that makes a different approach. Also if

the gap is one which needs strength that is it is a structural gap such as a wing root.

If a structural gap I would cut a piece of plastic card slightly below the finished height and

use a Tamiya Extra thing cement. This will solve the strength issue. Then choose a method to finish

as described below

If it is not a strength issue gap then I use a Mr White Putty. This you can smooth into position with

a Tamiya X20A thinner or a Tamiya Lacquer. But like any filling, the likelihood of one filling is a bit

of luck plus experience.  Most filling is a two or multi-stage patient process to get a respectable finish.

For a finer filling as Tank has suggested a Mr Surfacer 500.  Again you may have to go back and refill

then refill. I fine file then use wet and dry to finish which provides a superb finish.

Vallejo putty is superb for difficult small filling, especially on a difficult or rounded piece. Overfill then

with a wet finger press the filler in to smooth. Apply more filler as necessary immediately while wet

and repeat. Also cotton buds (model making one not baby type) just a little damp will give a smooth

finish.

Lastly all fillers will stick to the tool that is their nature. It is the way to apply them that is the craft.

Laurie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Milliput two part epoxy putty is the answer to your problem. Smoothable with water and water proof when dry.

Every modeller should have it. Use the standard stuff and avoid the stuff labeled 'fine' in the white packaging. I could never get it to work.

Hth,

Tom.