1/48 Inpact Fairey Flycatcher

Hello all,

Here is my recently completed effort for the Carriers Ahoy! group build in the form of the vintage Inpact 1/48th scale Fairey Flycatcher from 1968. The kit is nicely moulded and stands up well against some more modern kits especially the texture on the fabric areas of the airframe.

I have replaced the kit decals with my own home print efforts, except the fuselage band which I hand painted along with most of the model with the exception of the metal parts of the aircraft which are completed with Bare Metal Foil. I used the kit supplied Kleintex rigging thread but added my own 'turnbuckles' from aluminium tubing.

I Thoroughly enjoyed building this old kit, so much so I recently acquired the Bristol Bulldog albeit in the more recent boxing by Pyro.

The Build thread is here: 

41992240764_94d6112987_b.jpg

41992240454_f93c2a9ed5_b.jpg

41992239914_52c55597dd_b.jpg

41992239724_a87713bf43_b.jpg

41992239204_76eab70005_b.jpg

41992240954_a1de904842_b.jpg

41992241174_b9a9149397_b.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Artie said:

Amazing...!!!! Looks really nice, that rigging is perfect...Did you use the kit's dry transfers, or are they normal decals??????

Hats off...!!!

Thanks Artie, the decals are my own home print  efforts, the kit decals were not really useable.

Cheers, M.

2 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

looks excellent, you may have tempted me to get my Pyro version out.

Do it! you won't be disappointed.

Beautiful job, it looks like a modern kit. Amazing how nay of us seem to have one in the stash or part started. I' have one as well,, I'll have to start it now!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Flawless!

Wonderful build of a nice old kit. Just goes to show that it doesn't always have to be a bang up to date, state of the art Tamigawa wunder kit.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

The intention was to share scans of the instructions for the INPACT 1/48 kit of the Fairey Flycatcher. The Inpact plans have detailed instructions for how to rig the model and I thought these might be useful to someone. So all the pages were duly scanned and colour-corrected to be crisp and legible, but I have been defeated by the directions on how to to insert other media. It seems that you have to subscribe to Photobucket or to have posted your images somewhere else in order to retrieve them from there. Nothing as simple as adding an attachment or dragging and dropping.

The kit was bought more than 15 years ago. It had been partially assembled but all the parts were there. The greaseproof paper had turned brown and the decal sheet showed signs of yellowing. Inpact supplied a black plastic stand and the decal sheet had a nameplate. This was cut in half and the half was placed in water and curled up. It was then left to uncurl on the desk and slid onto the baseplate perfectly without any signs of fracturing. Amazing that after all these years the decals behaved as if the kit had just been bought yesterday. No need to leave them to bleach in sunlight or give them a coat of varnish and no need go to Hannants to look for a new set of transfers. Surely this kit is at least 50 years old. Does anyone know exactly when it was first released?

Hi Mark. I managed to miss this the firsrt time around but I am glad someone has posted more recently. What a fantastic result! Beautifully built, rigged and painted! Superb modelling! :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1