Caravelle

I had to change to a brush painted chest line on the Comet using 5mm masking tape and am pleased with the results so far - may be too 'rough' for your build although the brush paint could be polished up with micro mesh?

Thanks @Foxbat and @Ventora3300

Not going to let this model rot on the shelf of doom. I'm tempted by the SAS scheme - would require the white/natural metal demarcation to be lower down the fuselage, but that's ok - easier than the other way round - and I'd have to repaint the nacelles. Not too hard. F-DCAL has a French air force scheme which is quite tempting, but would require more of a repaint and from past experience whilst they're likely to be nice decals, I doubt they'd be here in time to finish the Caravelle before the GB ends. So it might be the 26 SAS decals.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

In anticipation/hope of the decals turning up soon I've started repainting. It won't need a full repaint - the main features of the colour scheme are a white upper and natural metal lower fuselage - but the demarcation between the white and natural metal needs to be lower, the engines are natural metal rather than white, and there are grey panels on the wings. Started today by painting the engines using AK Extreme Metal aluminium:

Caravelle WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 9

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, AMB said:

I loved see these at Heathrow Airport during my spotting days with my Dad in the '60s

If you remember when we went to Hendon for the Recognition comp ,we went to Heathrow on the way back from AHS laden with kits and postcards. Suppose it would have been Nov/Dec 1981 .Anyway we were amazed to see a Caravelle land , I hadn't seen one for years and thought they'd stopped coming to Heathrow, might have been JAT ,can't remember for sure , it had Dayglo wing tips . We also saw G-KILO BA 747F during it's short service with them .

Caravelle operators at Heathrow in it's heyday 60-70 ish either regulars or charters from memory  . Heathrow wasn't boring like it is now.

Swissair

Austrian Airlines

SAS

Sabena

Alitalia

Air France

Royal Air Maroc

Tunis Air

Alia Jordanian

TAP

JAT

Finnair

Air Algerie

Air Inter

Libyan Arab

Syrian Arab

Luxair

Iberia

Air Afrique possibly

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I swear I read somewhere that the Caravelle used a Comet nose.

That’s right. If I don’t get this finished by the end of the airfix GB I might chop of the nose and put it in the Brits Abroad GB!

@bzn20 that’s quite a list of airlines, it was a popular aircraft. I remember seeing them at Manchester but can’t remember which airlines - I was too young . Last operational Caravelle I saw was an Armee de l’Air aircraft at Orly in 1989. If I ever build another of these it’ll be that one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

the Caravelle used a Comet nose

The late model  Caravelles had different windows so slightly changed structure . I wonder if you could cut the nose off the Airfix Comet and transposed it to this kit  would it fit ? Should do but would it ? That's something to keep you awake !

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Armee de l’Air aircraft

Think one of these came to LHR once .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zebra said:

@bzn20 that’s quite a list of airlines, it was a popular aircraft. I remember seeing them at Manchester but can’t remember which airlines - I was too young . Last operational Caravelle I saw was an Armee de l’Air aircraft at Orly in 1989. If I ever build another of these it’ll be that one.

According to my copy of the Manchester Airport timetable for October 1969, the Caravelle operators were

Air France

Alitalia

Aviaco

Iberia

Sabena

SAS

• Like 4

11 hours ago, zebra said:

@nimrod54 thanks - that’s about 10 years before my Dad started taking me to the airport but I think I remember seeing SAS, Air France and Iberia Caravelles, and some charter operators (Hispania for example) but it’s all a distant memory now.

I certainly remember seeing Sabena, Air France, SAS and Alitalia examples. I was that pimply young aircraft nut in 1969. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2018 at 6:46 PM, bzn20 said:

If you remember when we went to Hendon for the Recognition comp ,we went to Heathrow on the way back from AHS laden with kits and postcards. Suppose it would have been Nov/Dec 1981 .Anyway we were amazed to see a Caravelle land , I hadn't seen one for years and thought they'd stopped coming to Heathrow, might have been JAT ,can't remember for sure , it had Dayglo wing tips . We also saw G-KILO BA 747F during it's short service with them .

Caravelle operators at Heathrow in it's heyday 60-70 ish either regulars or charters from memory  . Heathrow wasn't boring like it is now.

Swissair

Austrian Airlines

SAS

Sabena

Alitalia

Air France

Royal Air Maroc

Tunis Air

Alia Jordanian

TAP

JAT

Finnair

Air Algerie

Air Inter

Libyan Arab

Syrian Arab

Luxair

Iberia

Air Afrique possibly

Ah yes, I remember it well, but that was on 24th November 1979 and the Caravelle we saw was F-BLKF of Air France. I took this slide of it. It was interesting to note that towards the end of their life, Air France painted the belly from natural metal to light grey. 

I don't think any Air Afrique Caravelle ever landed at Heathrow but both the French Air Force and Yugoslav Air Force examples came in a couple of times. 

F-BLKF Caravelle III Air France, LHR 24-11-79 AMB

Edited by AMB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

She’s looking very neat Z and I gather this thread is also quickly turning into a bit of a spotters chat - not that there’s anything wrong with that, I’m finding it quite educational. 

Cheers.. Dave 

3 hours ago, AMB said:

24th November 1979

Stroll on didn't realise it was 79 , hang on though , G-KILO was delivered in Sept 80 . I only saw it once and only went to LHR with you once  . Yes , now I remember Air France ! Good job you had a photo of it . Nice blue sky but a bit cold . That's probably why we were so surprised to see it being an AF Caravelle . The Air Afrique  Caravelle would have been somewhere else then , couldn't remember exactly which is why I put a possibly next to it , must have been a charter because I can't remember any regular services by them to the UK

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, nimrod54 said:

Aviaco

Ooh . Never saw one of those at LHR , we got DC-4s a couple of times, parked over the West stands .

2 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Ooh . Never saw one of those at LHR , we got DC-4s a couple of times, parked over the West stands .

I  didn't see that flight either, its scheduled as arriving at 01:15 from Alicante, returning at 02:00 and is shown as an Inclusive Tour flight. I may have been an aircraft nut, but sleep came first. :D

• Haha 2