Caravelle

Very nice, I think the Caravelle is one of the nicest of the early jets. Don't recall seeing any at LHR, oddly. Saw a few at Gatwick though, in the late 70's

On 10/09/2018 at 18:46, bzn20 said:

Heathrow wasn't boring like it is now.

Don't visit LHR anymore, but that is probably why. How many A320's can you see in a day :wacko:

Great model, looking forward to seeing the decals on.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Don't visit LHR anymore

I had to go there (T2) yesterday to drop my Son off... Holy Cow came out of the tunnel in central and …………. It was like watching a film of the future and recognised nothing . It wasn't 'til went down the ramp on the way out  spotted the power/heating/Gas plant that was next to the Cul-de-Sac carpark. Then I spotted the bus station and T1 carpark and something standing on the ground where the Control Tower was . What  did I see ? Not much, an AA 777 and loads of 319s/320s and 321s landing and taking off and very white, can't see much of the stands. To answer your question  . I don't think you can walk or ride a bike in the side tunnel anymore either. I used to go there 3 or 4 times a week at least in all weather, knew it like the back of my hand .

• Like 4

@Rabbit Leader I’m enjoying all this old school spotters chat! 

@bzn20 it’s tragic how little actual aviation you can see at many airports these days. Wish we still had the old spectators terraces - all over the tops of all 3 piers at MAN, the only real security issue was when El Al was in and they closed pier C. Happy days. Wish I’d had a camera back then.

• Like 5

I was doing some IT work for a client of mrs lawzer today and their house is literally on the perimiter fence at ABZ.  A West cargo 737 and some sort of flying lab BAe 146 that i could have almost touched.  In days gone by the lovely Mr. Trumps 757 parked there....

• Like 3

On 10/09/2018 at 20:13, Pete in Lincs said:

I swear I read somewhere that the Caravelle used a Comet nose.

Yes, Pete, I saw it in Wiki:

On 6 July 1953, the SGACC placed a formal order for the construction of a pair of prototypes along with a pair of static airframes for fatigue testing. Sud's design licensed several fuselage features from British aircraft company de Havilland, whom Sud had already made previous dealings with in respect to several earlier designs. The nose area and cockpit layout were both taken directly from the de Havilland Comet jet airliner, while the rest of the airliner was locally designed. A distinctive design feature was the cabin windows in the shape of a curved triangle which were smaller than conventional windows but gave the same field of view downwards.

You can certainly see the similarity!

• Like 5

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 23:35, zebra said:

@Rabbit Leader I’m enjoying all this old school spotters chat! 

@bzn20 it’s tragic how little actual aviation you can see at many airports these days. Wish we still had the old spectators terraces - all over the tops of all 3 piers at MAN, the only real security issue was when El Al was in and they closed pier C. Happy days. Wish I’d had a camera back then.

A great place for viewing after a day on the piers at MAN was a ten minute walk to the end of the runway where there was a large grass 'green' at the end of Shadowmoss Road.  We used to sit there whilst waiting for the bus home to Stockport - the old 400 'trans lancs express' - which ran once an hour.  Assuming flights were coming in on runway 24 they came right over your head 'very low' - maybe 200ft high.  I particularly remember one late Saturday afternoon when a WORLD AIRLINES DC-10 came in for the first time - that was one for the book.

HAPPY DAYS - Steve

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

A great place for viewing after a day on the piers at MAN was a ten minute walk to the end of the runway where there was a large grass 'green' at the end of Shadowmoss Road.  We used to sit there whilst waiting for the bus home to Stockport - the old 400 'trans lancs express' - which ran once an hour.  Assuming flights were coming in on runway 24 they came right over your head 'very low' - maybe 200ft high.  I particularly remember one late Saturday afternoon when a WORLD AIRLINES DC-10 came in for the first time - that was one for the book.

HAPPY DAYS - Steve

I remember that spot - didn't go there much, but do remember watching a Dutch Neptune fly past once. Must have been about 1983, the Neptunes were retiring, and for some reason it did a flypast at Manchester.

Diversions from Heathrow and Gatwick were fantastic. I remember one day in the early 80s when every stand seemed to be occupied by something exotic diverted from London - in particular an Air Zimbabwe 707 (or was it a DC-8?) parked at the near end of pier B with some really fed-up looking passengers looking out the windows. Really wish I'd had a camera back then!

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, BIG X said:

to Stockport

I was at Ringway earlier in the day that the BM DC-4M Argonaut took off from there and crashed on Stockport . I saw it on the pan then we had to go visiting relatives . I remember flying in to Ringway in BOAC Argonaut (once), DC-7C (once),Brits and 707s (both several times) 58 - 65 They made a big thing of the Chandeliers  in the new Terminal , they were big though.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished. Pretty pleased with this one - I think I might need to build a few of the other versions of the Caravelle. I can see an F-RSIN Caravelle 12 in my future.

One photo here, more in the gallery shortly.

cheers

Z

Airfix Caravelle

• Like 8

Look at that slender shape and sleek lines, you can't half tell that this is a French design?

Who would have thought that Airfix kits are supposed to look this good, yet another reason why the brand and this GB has been ever so popular. 

Yet another winner past the post Z, I'm loving all your builds - great stuff.

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave  

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I've really enjoyed building these older kits. The simplicity of the kits has been refreshing, it goes to show you don't need the fine detail and engineering of a modern kit, building these older kits is a lot of fun. Shame we can't keep this group build going any longer!

• Like 1