Airfix 1/24 mosquito, a good kit?

kpnuts

Hi all been looking at some pictures of finished models of this kit, it looks amazing is it a good kit or is it down to the skills of the modeller  that the pics look so good.

Seems a very cheap kit for what you get, I've seen it for 90 quid (how much could you do it for john) 

I know I can't normally build a decent plane but I'm enjoying the vampire so much at the moment(apart from the masking accident) I'm thinking this may be my next aircraft project.

It's basically a good kit. I'm in the process of, off and on, building and converting it into an NF Mk. XIX.

It is very accurate in outline and shape.

The main problem is the lack of internal details. The engine firewalls are just blank surfaces. So are the landing gear door insides and the weapons bay doors. A lot of scratch building is needed in these areas. I didn't realize how lacking the kit is in these areas until I got the Tamiya 1/32 Mossie!

The main wheels are useless. Get resin replacements.

Surface details are very prominent, especially on the elevators. Needs sanding down.

There were rumours in the late 70's that Airfix was working on a 1/24 Mossie which wasn't released. The kit reminds me of an Airfix kit from the 70's with more parts added before it was finally released some years ago.

Stein M 

Everything that Stein Meum said, plus : The detail behind the seats in the cockpit is lacking. . .  the radio fit is only applicable to an early FB VI. There are no backplates to the propellor spinners, and if you wish to add the exhausts you can't fit the side cowlings on the engines, so it's full engine without panels, or closed up with no exhausts !  

I also had trouble / fun fitting all the pipework to the engine, having to drill out every locating hole before anything would fit, though that might have been down to me. Although the model looks impressive when finished, I'd be inclined to spend a bit more on the Tamiya kit, where you can be confident everything will fit nicely. 

Edited by Starfighter