Electric motor to spin prop- recommendations?

85sqn

Hi folks,

for a build of mine down in the Carriers Ahoy groupbuild I'd like to display a corsair in a flying pose with a spinning prop. Any recommendations for electric motors and any examples people have done including switches and wiring? 

I plan to mount it on a rod attached to a wooden base and use the base to hide a battery/switch.

Cheers

Nick

Have a nose on Amazon or Ebay for motors. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aircraft-Coreless-Magnetic-DC3-7V-63000RPM/dp/B00LUTF6WC/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1528630264&sr=8-26&keywords=electric+motor

Some of my spinny prop things:

JCBeqyF.jpg

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013283-airfix-bf109e-4-172/

Q8c8sAs.jpg

Very basic wiring, using thin enamelled wire, button batteries and reed switches + magnet to turn on and off.

Mart

• Like 1

They look absolutely superb! Thanks for the link. Do your wires feed into the base or is everything contained within the aircraft? 

Nick

Yup, extremely basic wiring. Motor-wire-switch-battery.

I use enamelled wire as it’s much easier to thread through various holes and wot-not. On the Mustang I also added a landing light and fibre optic wingtips, didn’t quite work out with the wingtips, but adding and soldering surface mount LEDs was a bit of a learning curve!

FfSxyAE.jpg

Y85Ndhq.jpg

iIkgQMF.jpgBoard and resistors are for the LEDs, not really needed for just a motor.

Z9zq6tz.jpg

Mart

Edited by LotusArenco
  • Thanks 1

Try one of those pound shops. This time of year they sell hand held battery powered fans. The motor might be a tad clunky for some aircraft (P-40B etc.) but they are cheap (£1) and come with brass stripping for the switch.

I prefer placing a fan somewhere so that it makes the props spin ... is easier and does not require any installations of batteries, cables, switches and motors.

Possibly because it's designed for 1/24th and could be a bit big. Plus there are plenty of more suitable motors out there. Try mobile phone vibrator motors. You'll need a puller of some type to remove the weight but they should slot in just about anywhere.

44 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Is there a reason nobody has mentioned the Airfix electric motor? 

The 12mm x 4mm coreless motors used by LotusArenco can be had for 99p for a pair (delivered) from China on eBay. Edit: just found 8x4mm coreless, 5 for 99p delivered.

If you're thinking of the geared-down motors to get slow-motion turning, I used one that had a motor speced for 3 to 6V, but needed the full 6V else it quite often stalled on start-up with the friction of the gears.

• Like 1