Panther Ausf.A Late - Meng 1/35

Sd.Kfz. 171

Panther Ausf.A Late

Meng 1/35

Meng's initial Panther release, which I finished a few weeks ago after a somewhat protracted build, mainly due to the working tracks which were a bit of a nightmare to put together. The rest of the kit goes together fine however, and the detail and build engineering is up to Meng's usual high standards.

Those tracks though :angry: . Seven sprue gates per link that all need careful removal and reshaping as they're on curved sections of the link. That's 1218 connections to clean up and reshape for two full runs. On top of that, there are two separate guide horns to attach to each link. With the kit tracks, you'd then need to glue the links together and drape them around the wheels. I was using the separate working track/suspension set, which has identical links apart from them being pre-drilled to accept metal pins. Pinning them together was actually pretty easy, although still massively tedious.

The working suspension works well enough, but is actually a bit pointless on the finished model, and the swing arms have a tendency to jam up when you get some paint on making it harder, rather than easier, to get the wheels to sit level. If you're thinking of picking the kit up, I personally wouldn't bother with the working track/suspension set. Stick with the kit supplied suspension and get a set of Friuls.

The rest of the kit is very nice. Plenty of optional parts, and some nice extras like the PE schurzen plates. The initial release comes with a metal barrel, although the standard one-piece styrene one is perfectly usable.

41537159675_8f023e3f9c_b.jpg

40631542800_487e0862a8_b.jpg

40631541290_5c501b7005_b.jpg

42388739492_0e9dbb9201_b.jpg

40631536940_9769dfdd4c_b.jpg

41537144825_c298b8a87f_b.jpg

40631533450_3ffe6dc9a9_b.jpg

42388726302_d3d7d3ea18_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy:cat:

• Like 22

Beautiful kit and great idea and execution of this unique paintscheme. The tracks are fully workable? When you still can, you might want to take out at least 2-3 links, unless the Americans liked some slack on their Panthers, it should have much higher track tension.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

5 hours ago, Soeren said:

The tracks are fully workable? When you still can, you might want to take out at least 2-3 links, unless the Americans liked some slack on their Panthers, it should have much higher track tension.

Yes, they could do with a couple of links removing. I'd actually already removed one from each run from the number shown in the instructions. The working suspension doesn't help either, as the wheels tend to move out of alignment and mess up the track tension.

44 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Tell me that isn't Meng's Mickey Mouse zimmerit decals.

Thanks Lloyd. No, the zim on this is putty. I tried out the decals but I wasn't very impressed with them.

Andy:cat:

Fantastic !, the Zimm, although of not so pretty design (for my taste, the real of course), is, magnificently achieved, since it really looks like the paste applied on a surface, with a real consistency and texture.
Of course, everything else is seen at a top notch level. :goodjob:

Cheers Andy :D.

• Like 1

Typically lovely work Andy. You sure have patience and more importantly nimble fingers when it comes to those tracks!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1