AIRFIX 1/72 SHORT SUNDERLAND III

The Airfix Short Sunderland holds a special place in my heart as it is the very first model aircraft that I held. I can still remember standing outside our cottage in Felixstowe when I was about four years old and I am holding my father's Sunderland model and I can still remember the smell of the Airfix paints warming up in the morning sunshine. And very aptly we were only a mile from the old RAF Felixstowe seaplane base where they tested Sunderlands.

The Airfix Sunderland first appeared in 1960 and the model still has AIRFIX PRODUCTS LTD 1960 moulded inside one of the wings if you look for it.

582017b0-1bdd-46f7-8aa8-6e7e92be2e53.jpg

The original 1960 boxing

When I was thirteen years old I built my younger brother's Sunderland for him. I made sure that every moving part worked such as the turrets, sliding bomb carriers and beaching gear The front turret even retracted back into the nose as it did on the real ones for mooring purposes. I loved this large white flying boat model and must admit to being a little bit jealous at the time. It was no match though for my FROG Kawanishi Emily in combat .

resized_e8baadde-801e-4bbf-82c4-1ef035b7

This fabulous and exciting artwork by Roy Cross appeared later in the 1960s. The lower box is the actual one that my brother's Sunderland came in back in 1972. The upper boxing is a Humbrol Airfix one from 2001.

A few years ago I was at a model show and I bought a 1980s issue Airfix Sunderland. While I was examining the contents back at our Club table a friend and accomplished modeller mentioned that he had started a Sunderland but had lost interest in it and that he had it with him and would I take it off his hands. He gave me his almost complete Sunderland and the box with a few odd parts. It had a White Ensign Models etched brass cockpit and bomb bay interior. The problem with his model though for me was that firstly every moving part was fixed solid. Also he had not inserted any of the portholes glazing and had instead blanked off all their openings with masking tape stuck inside the fuselage so he could spray the model. I tried unsuccessfully to try and remove the tape through the openings. I gave up on it and left it in my loft for some time.

Then one day I decided that I would build my Sunderland kit and that I would use the White Ensign interior parts from the other built one. So I carefully dismantled the built one and removed the interior parts. I wanted my Sunderland to have a full interior so I decided that I would scratchbuild the rest of it around the White Ensign sections This would later cause me more problems than if I had built the whole lot myself.

resized_f16e5f21-c9c1-4ac4-9b3b-afc7aa47

The top boxing is the one that my friend gave me. The parts were moulded in a light grey colour. The middle boxing is the 1980s boxing which I built. The parts were moulded in white plastic.

resized_db9a86ae-a560-4099-966b-c5a66843

Look at the difference in box sizes

resized_d04e82b1-ca82-42d6-a073-f0e8d07b

The 1980s Humbrol Airfix boxing of the kit that I built.

I built this model three years ago and during the build I took a number of photos which will take us through the construction and show the interior.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 9

A bit more kit history

89c77dd4-4f12-4aa5-99ae-ff3785fe79ca.jpg

Boxing for the USA Airfix market. Love the red cowlings and yellow spinners and underwing roundels.

9ea95105-20b6-4ba3-af72-85a27c320e41.jpg

Boxing for the current 'new' Sunderland, just so you know what you are actually getting inside the box.

resized_e45f96fd-0fbb-4853-bf27-46249d3a

The instruction sheet just to illustrate how basic the kit is with a large empty void inside the fuselage. I built it in a day for my brother when I was thirteen ....... if only I could be as happy with a model Out Of The Box now as I was back then.

resized_9bda49c4-a810-4a84-b9a3-a0a0979a

Instruction sheet for the White Ensign etched brass bomb bay.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 3

Adey, it will be interesting to see how this one went for you! I did not know White Ensign did etch for this one, I knew they did for the Stirling though (and a few other old Airfix kits).

Cheers,

Ray

• Like 1

resized_04a20aef-cb1e-496f-8137-fce86c56

A useful cutaway drawing of a Sunderland III which I used for reference ............... only problem was I cannot read Russian.

resized_9a1c4748-9f14-40d1-9ef4-6a8540a2

I have installed the etched brass weapons bay, it is held in position with plastic strut. The brass etched cockpit sidewalls are in position and so are the plastic card bulkheads which will support the etched cockpit floor.

The kit's portholes glazing has been installed. I am using the dorsal turret from an Airfix Stirling as it is a more accurate size and shape than the kit's one. No need to worry about my Stirling as I intend to build it as an early Mark 1 without a dorsal turret.

resized_b4eea3cd-a934-4da2-9eb8-1ee43a8c

Plastic card extra detailing added to the existing White Ensign cockpit. Seats from my spares box.

resized_6f10c176-9f91-4f25-80b9-698d4972

Structural framework from plastic strut. Lower decking in place and crew rest areas and the galley are taking shape. Note the moulded rail for the retractable front turret. Upper hatch has been opened up ( it would be a real pity not to be able to see any of the cockpit detail once the model is complete ).

• Like 7

Great to see an old favourite. I doubt I am the only one who often flicks through Evilbay just to see some of the old artwork and memories of kitchen table modelling, and this and the old Stirling were 2 favourites. Watching this with a big smile!

• Like 1

Bring it on. I remember building this kit myself (from 72 boxing below). Brilliant box art (worth quoting again I feel) and my favourite livery for the Sunderland. Oh and nice start.

21 hours ago, adey m said:

resized_e8baadde-801e-4bbf-82c4-1ef035b7

• Like 1

resized_b44dedcc-d804-4984-b873-4675441d

Cockpit and turret housings in place to check for fitting. I have removed a radar systems operator position from just behind the second pilot and added the radar equipment to above the navigator's table. Batteries housing behind the radio operator's position on this side. Dorsal turret and mounting from an Airfix Stirling.

Retractable bow turret housing has a layer or two of thin plastic card applied to reduce the gap between it and the fuselage. Bow decking drainage holes drilled with manual mini drill and anchor winch came from my spares. Enclosed staircase from lower bow deck up to cockpit. Crew rest bunks in position.

resized_97479d82-e070-416c-90ec-86fd7da1

resized_6650824a-64f4-4efd-acda-9a966ab3

resized_07f8a3d6-b1ac-4748-b283-2529f614

My modelling table during this stage of construction with some useful reference material from another Sunderland build.

resized_317c1eaa-5bff-4277-9042-dc2bbdba

Box art which I decided not to use for reference ..............

• Like 2

On 6/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, adey m said:

A useful cutaway drawing of a Sunderland III which I used for reference ............... only problem was I cannot read Russian.

I have the same boxing that you built but some of the parts is missing.Also the reference drawing that you used but mine is in good old english.If ever you decide to build another P.M me and I will mail you the drawings if you were to need them.

Regards:

Shaun.

• Thanks 1

resized_679e5b82-0db6-4660-a073-e0b77a11

Much inspiration for my Sunderland came from visits to the RAF Museum at Hendon, North London where you are invited to walk through the interior of their Sunderland Mk 5. I took this photo from the viewing balcony.

resized_6309f710-81be-4b29-af9d-8bbc8dd5

The completed interior. Upper deck from front to rear we have the flight deck, then radio operator this side and navigator other side, then engineer and batteries, then crawlway above the weapons bay to the dorsal turret mounting and then ladder down to rear fuselage equipment lockers, walkway to rear turret and master compass. Lower deck from the bow to rear we have the bomb aiming and mooring position, anchor winch, toilet behind the stairs, crew rest and dining room with bunks and table, then the galley with drogue stowage either side, then the weapons bay with workbench and bunks and then the rear crew rest area.

The interior is painted with Humbrol Matt 120 Light Green.

resized_0b9c9043-4251-43f6-83ad-932e8cc4

Anchor, chain and float in bow compartment ( it is boat once on the water after all ).

resized_c1348f2b-3032-447e-a0f5-223e6fca

In this view you can see the toilet, wash basin and water tank just to the side of the cockpit stairs.

resized_ed03f97d-72c6-4d3d-bc7e-13e9c382

I took this photo of the flushing toilet inside the Sunderland at the RAF museum.

resized_670bda74-71eb-401e-8455-32794ecd

This view shows the wing spar trusses made from plastic strut and rod.

resized_7ce07ce4-3ab6-4e7a-af05-48572ad1

resized_05216b58-adb1-4f55-9661-df399315

resized_dc3367bb-3e89-4b73-aa32-c3d39397

resized_23516382-ce0c-4144-bfcb-5501a5df

This view shows the weapons bay with the stowed hatches. I was lucky in that I had a couple of spare ones from that other Sunderland. I glazed the portholes of the hatches with Humbrol Clearfix. The galley is forward of the weapons bay and you can see the starboard drogue stowage below the centre hatch and porthole. The drogues were lowered into the water from the galley hatches and were used to steer or slow down the aircraft when on the water.

resized_b94e84b4-57ef-49e3-ac61-f8128d91

Time to add some of the crew. First pilot, radio operator, navigator and flight engineer.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 8

resized_35334922-8fdb-402a-bfa3-6cce0b5b

It appears that this is the only photo I took later in the build. The canopy is fixed to the fuselage with white PVA wood glue. this is a favourite method of mine for fixing canopies, it does not damage the canopy, can be used to blend the canopy to the fuselage using a wet finger, and if you need to remove the canopy for some reason it can be gently prized off. The propellers came from my spares but the spinners are the kit's ones which I sawed off from the kit's propellers.

The circular fuel cells on top of the wings are represented by thin plastic card cut to the correct size and shape and glued in place.

resized_196e27a9-0690-4ff9-b2aa-812520c4

Here I have illuminated the toilet by shining a torch through the portholes.

resized_b984dfbd-d449-455c-b152-793404a2

View looking through the fuselage from the rear turret opening. The dorsal turret has been removed too.

resized_810d68f3-331b-451a-9f7b-7fd4d80a

Looking down into the rear crew rest area.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 5

Top quality work. Like many I built this kit many years ago. Long gone now, and sadly the MkIII is a bit modern for my period. I'm contemplating the Italeri MkI, despite it's known issues. One day, when I've got room to show it. 

• Like 1

I'm watching this with great interest Adey. 

One of my old instructors from the local flying school way back in the 80's was an ex Sunderland pilot.

Your work in the interior is coming on beautifully.

My only comment is about your super tidy work bench. Have you never heard of clutter???😊

Seriously though, keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately I did not take anymore photos during the construction so I will show a few close ups and explain some of the detail.

PAINTING .......... I sprayed the whole model with Humbrol Acrylic Matt White from a can. I sprayed the external sides of the fuselages with the white before assembly. When the model was complete I then masked off the portholes with strips of tape following the rivet lines before spraying the rest of the model. I then brush painted Humbrol Satin 156 Dark Camouflage Grey enamel on the upper surfaces. All cockpit framing was painted free hand with a fine brush.

resized_a5ab93af-3101-4cfd-a7b7-73b6f571

The fuel cells in the top of the wing are made from thin plastic card shapes. The engine exhausts are from plastic rod with the ends drilled out.

resized_c86567b2-dcfb-4f9a-8c4d-417f1500

I used the engines and cowlings from the kit. The propellers came from my spares but the spinners came from the kit propellers which I removed with a razor saw. My model represents quite a new aircraft and the factory applied paint is only just starting to burn off the exhaust collector rings. The kit's landing light transparencies have been drilled from behind and then the recess is painted with Chrome Silver to represent the light lens.

resized_bd9b2647-8c7c-4f7b-b201-04ec840b

The opening for the dorsal turret. I used the turret from an Airfix Stirling as it is more accurate in size and shape. It meant that I had to enlarge the turret opening in the top of the fuselage. All the turrets are removeable.

resized_368b4c6f-7a36-4249-b96a-65c31124

Turret and guns from an Airfix Stirling. Scratchbuilt turret framework from plastic rod. Airfix gunner figures are installed in all the turrets. Portholes on top of fuselage came from my spares.

resized_8bbe6615-e7eb-4fb2-82a8-8b9fe856

Nose turret, bomb aiming window and handling cable. The retractable turret housing had two thin layers off plastic card glued around the outside to reduce the gap between it and the fuselage.

resized_62db9460-8655-414a-9689-13e886eb

Front turret is from the kit. Only one gun slot is incorporated on the model turret so a second slot has to be opened up with a razor saw. Removeable mooring bollard .

resized_47f1260f-af80-4ea6-9235-e8e80b6c

resized_f4f554ab-62a1-4ce9-8a28-380034a1

The removeable mooring bollard.

resized_2c0d3345-b873-474c-a5f9-0398ecdd

The front turret removed to show the blanking plastic card bulkhead in the turret housing.

resized_7e064c20-1921-4b54-b1bb-44ee0c5b

The rear turret is from the kit with added extra detailing.

resized_70b291b4-3f1c-4aa3-9fa2-efee9477

resized_b5526097-f332-4d48-a336-ee3edf98

Photo I took of the rear turret of the Sunderland at the Duxford museum near Cambridge.

resized_5bcadde8-e833-4a50-b7ed-0aebfa34

The downward identification lights below the starboard wing.

resized_772406ae-9347-48a2-9283-7417353f

The working bomb carriers which slide in and out of the weapons bay as AIRFIX intended.

resized_72037b6b-b724-419d-9aec-16f7944d

The removeable beaching gear. The kit's wheels are too thin so I replaced them with wider wheels from my spares. I drilled out the hubs and fitted the kit's ones. The wheels steer by the use of brass rod pivots. A brass rod sticking up from the tail beaching trolley fits into a hole in the underside of the fuselage.

resized_0a63c407-2b8a-4efd-bbac-231d7e14

Pins on the beaching gear legs fit into holes in the side of the fuselage.

Anyway that is all for now, " time for bed Florence " , said Zebedee ...........    Boynnnng !

Edited by adey m
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

That is a cracker of a build ! just wonderful details and step-by-step for us all to ogle.

It is terrific to see these old stagers come up trumps with the skills of a great modeller. Well done that man!!

Thank you Horatio, yours and other members comments are very much appreciated.

I am sorry that I do not have any more build photos to show you but at the time I really just wanted to record the interior detail.

I love building the old classics and some of the modern day limited run ones in favour of the new hi-tech kits and judging by other members posts it seems that others do too.

I am going to show the Sunderland in more detail on Aircraft ( or boats ) Ready For Inspection.

Here is a little taster ................

resized_6dec7d0a-dcd3-4ed4-b60f-758ad742

Thank you

adey

• Like 2

Hi Adey,

You've done an inspirational job on the interior and the kit has built up really well. I have one of these to build at some point.

Look forward to catching up with you and perhaps seeing this model at a show soon.

Regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1